Set-up Inc
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 59s
Overall Rank = 829/1100
Age Group = Novice Women
Age Group Rank = 79/88
Pre-race routine:

I didnt bring my own alarm clock so i ended up setting it wrong...I was supposed to get up around 445 but ended up waking myself up at 520...That was nervewracking, but ok. I got my stuff together and had a bowl of oatmeal and a TON of gatorade. I set up my transition area and realized I might need more air in my tires. Since i rode a MTB i was right next to the bike tech tent and I saw a big line of people getting air...so i lined up...
Tech boy popped my front tire...everyone screamed and he fitted me with a new one...then he starts pumping the back tire a LOT and starts tinkering with it...all the while I'm thinking...HOLY CRAP KID ITS A $75 BIKE!! ITS FINE!!! I think I'll fill my own tires next time...yeah.

Event warmup:

I stretched a bit but didnt do much in the way of warm up...My heartrate was already sky rocketting from the nerves!
Swim
  • 43m 33s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

My nerves were rattled when the event director told me I would be disqualified for my wetsuit if it was a wetsuit..I was so confused that i didnt say anything...the lady next to me...God bless her, yelled that it wasnt..it just looked like one..I may never understand what happened..but i'm thankful for her...
Wow...the swim was so much harder than when I swam it last month...The current was NOT helping AT ALL...By the time i finished the whole race I heard from some friends that the current was working against all of us...nice...just want you want to hear.
What would you do differently?:

I really want to work on my breathing and endurance..I have great form when i start..but i just cant keep it up...I really want to make that whole swim in consistant beautiful rhythm and form...

Transition 1
  • 04m 42s
Comments:

My Transition time was actually pretty darn good! Judging by all the other people's times I'm right up there with them!

I'm notorius for stepping off my shoes which means the laces were still tied...That sucked..I felt a little like a shmuck untying my shoes...hehe
Bike
  • 57m
  • 20 kms
  • 21.05 km/hr
Comments:

I liked the bike...but i did drop my water bottle in the first mile..that SUCKED!!!

NOT DROP THE WATER!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I think my t2 was AWESOME!! I was throwing stuff and out of there...BUT all the other racers were clogging up the transition area..which i guess is what i get for being slow? Hmmm..nah..it was just inconsiderate..I mean..I can understand you wanting to be in the area to get your stuff and leave, but to clogg it up talking to buddies in the middle of the chut? Please..I know I was fat and slow..but show a little respect.

Yell and scream at arrogant elitests in my way.
Run
  • 48m 11s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 15m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I need to work more on running...I just dont do it enough.

Run
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down consisted of running to the refreshment tent to get some warm gatorade (i guess you cant expect much when your like an hour behind everyone else) and sitting on a sprinkler..heh. I stretched a little and cried a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm fat and slow..hehe..

Event comments:

It was a little disorganized, but what do i know..it was my first...It was a great day.

Last updated: 2005-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:33 | 1500 yards | 02m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 79/88
Overall: 79/1100
Performance: Good
My nerves were rattled when the event director told me I would be disqualified for my wetsuit if it was a wetsuit..I was so confused that i didnt say anything...the lady next to me...God bless her, yelled that it wasnt..it just looked like one..I may never understand what happened..but i'm thankful for her... Wow...the swim was so much harder than when I swam it last month...The current was NOT helping AT ALL...By the time i finished the whole race I heard from some friends that the current was working against all of us...nice...just want you want to hear.
Suit: wetsuit..NO ITS NOT!
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:57:00 | 20 kms | 21.05 km/hr
Overall: 326/1100
Wind: None
Course: This was a great course...although I did almost get hit by cars acouple times and I think there were a couple of people who actually did...whats up with that?! 1100 people racing and you cant see them?!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:11 | 03.2 miles | 15m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 826/1100
Performance: Average
Course: This course seemed to go on forever. and I hated how i could look across and see the other side of it knowing i had to go that far still..It was miserable..but i did it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-26 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
Subject: Willmington YMCA Triathlon

2005-09-26 11:05 AM
in reply to: #253433

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Willmington YMCA Triathlon

Congrats Triathlete!!

Dang long swim for a sprint!! 

Welcome to the DFL club...we are an elite group very very few ever get to join. We are the few, the proud and a very select  group.

Great attitude and race!!

Keep up the good work!

Edited by KathyG 2005-09-26 11:07 AM
2005-09-26 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job!! Congratulations!
2005-09-26 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
I heard you're tire pop, I saw the man yell at you for you're "wetsuit" and I think I saw you finish. Very nice job...this was you're first right? Tough swim for you're first one! This tri was very unorganized compared the the others I have done. The bike lanes were limiting speed and passing, the busses made people late for the start and there weren't any good food or drinks at the end. Hope to see you next season! Keep up the hard work...run lots!
2005-09-26 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
You did it-! and next time the elitists get in your way- just slam into "em!- and smile sweetly-
of course.... So now you know what to expect- We'll be looking for your NEXT RR.....Congrats!
2005-09-27 7:40 AM
in reply to: #254051

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
haha...Yes Stormpetrel...all me! what a traumatic day!

2005-09-27 6:58 PM

User image

Regular
Apex NC
So that was you!!! I was right behind you when he called you out for the suit.. Great response about the medal LMAO. Great race and a great report...
2005-09-27 7:16 PM
in reply to: #254233

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
I sent you an inspire. I was standing just in front of you and to the left. I heard them call you and then heard you say, Thanks for making everyone look at me, or something similar. I wish I had known it was you!!

Good job--see you next year??
2005-09-28 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
well y'all, we'll definitly hook up next year.. I was a little too choking on my cookies to talk to anyone this time...Next time around it will be my 5th race instead of my 1st so I'll be a little bit more well adjusted.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Willmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed