General Discussion Race Reports! » 6th Annual 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

6th Annual 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rockwall, Texas
United States
IronHead Race Productions
90'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 32s
Overall Rank = 345/450
Age Group = Women 20 to 24
Age Group Rank = 21/21
Pre-race routine:

In bed 8:30pm. Sleep moderately well 9pm to 3am. Out of bed 3:20 am. Breakfast: 3:30-3:48am. 20oz water by 4am.

I drove to Melodie's to pick her up, but she wasn't ready, so we were late getting there - only 30 minutes before the meeting started. We set up our transition areas really quickly.

Being total newbies, we had no idea what we were doing, and got our timing chips right at the last minute becuase we didn't know about it. Our race numbers were so late (I was 409, and she was 411 out of 450) that we thought we had plenty of time to check all our gear and go to the bathroom and hydrate. Haha!

When it was time for the swim start, we were walking to our car to get Melodie's towel - I was still in running shoes, with no goggles or swim cap. 2 Volunteers started hollaring at us to go to the swim area so they could activate the timing system and start the race.

We suddenly realized that we were in trouble as the Race director said no athlete could cross that mat back into the transition area after they activated it! We really had no idea! There was a very gracious lady volunteering, who went back to the rack to take our running shoes, and get my goggles and swim cap for me. I felt so unprepared because I hadn't gotten a chance to check everything and I didn't have anything in the swim area to drink or eat. I really should have had more to eat closer to the time of my swim because of my hypoglycemia. I waited for about an hour and a half before my start.

Event warmup:

I stretched for about 15 minutes while waiting in the swim area. I stood around right by the swim exit and watched everybody exit and transition to give me some idea of what to do. Erin was really sweet and said she wanted us to pray for our first tri and all the athlete's safety, so 4 of us circled around and prayed.

There was a little shallow splash-around area in the pool that had a bench ledge, so I got in and wet my hair, put my swim cap and on, and then got in line about 15 people before I started.
Swim
  • 07m 50s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first 100 yards was rough. As soon as they said "Go" and I jumped in feet first, my adrenaline started pumping like never before. I had intended to have a really easy and relaxing swim as more of a warm-up than anything. Instead, I sprinted the first 50 yards and passed 3 people. I had no idea I was sprinting - I was simply keeping up with my heart beat. My breathing was off from the start.

At 50 yards I suddenly realized that I couldn't breathe. I had tried to slow down into a good pace, but my heartrate was still sprinting. I couldn't catch my breath. I panicked. Breathing only on the right almost every stroke for a short distance didn't work. Then I tried breast stroke for about 4 strokes, though I hadn't breast stroked in over a year - even in training. I swam freestyle a few more yards still freaking out. Then I stopped and treaded water for about 3 breaths. I heard everybody, especially the lifeguards, screaming at me to get my butt moving and don't stop. I started swimming again.

Just before I hit 100 yards I told myself, "You have got to get a hold of yourself and calm down. Just start breathing slower, and get into a rythm. Remember how much you like swimming?" And that's what happened. I got into a good relaxed rythm for the last 200 yards and calmed down. I was so ready to get out of that pool and on my way, that I had already pulled up and was half-way out of the pool before the 2 burley guys, who were pulling the swimmers up and out, even turned around from helping the last person. I ran out, grinning ear to ear, all they way to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Practice circle-swimming with other people in my lane. Practice jumping in feet first and going. Be more prepared for the adrenaline rush. Practice alternative strokes to freestyle incase of phreak-out.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

Nutrition: 1/2 peanut butter cliff bar, 8 oz gatorade

I decided to take some extra time and eat and drink a little while in transition because I knew that I was probably already close to dehydration. I struggled a little to get my bike off the rack. What seemed light before, felt heavy to handle. Everything went smoothly. People were already finishing the run when I started the bike.

I just wish that I had taken 30 seconds to check my bike and seat hight before heading for the bike course. I would also like to practice running and jumping on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 58s
  • 14 miles
  • 12.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Hydration: 16oz Gatorade

As soon as I got on my bike, I knew that something was not right. After a moment, I realized that my bike seat was lowered all the way down. For a split second I considered continueing without adjusting the seat, but immediately dismissed that foolishness, and stopped where the shoulder widened at a bridge. Turq passed me and hollared to see if I needed help, as well as a few others. I quickly raised the seat, and hopped back on.

After a few minutes, I realized something was wrong again! I looked down and saw that the seat had slipped down all the way. Again, I stopped to adjust it. 5 times, I stopped to adjust that seat. Finally on the 4th time, I was able to tighten it to where it would hold. The fifth stop was because I had been so flustered and fumbling that I hadn't raised it quite high enough. All of this added about 20 minutes to my bike time.

Unfortunately the seat wasn't my only problem. Somehow, my right front brake was engaged, and I couldn't get it to release. The brake pad was dragging heavily on the tire wall, and so no matter what gear I put the bike in, I had to power through every revolution.

While I was actually moving, I only was passed by 4 people, however, because I stopped so many times, I think I was actually the last cyclist on the route. I outlasted the photographers. The whole course was rough for me. The hills were killer because of the brake problem. It felt like 24 miles instead of 14. In the first couple of miles I got really mad at a few drivers who don't know how to drive with cyclists on the road. I had great momentum that was getting me up a rather large hill, when this SUV phreaked out trying to navigate around a cyclist, and I had to actually stop, mid-hill for the moron. I had a few choice words, and several deep breaths.

I honestly thought that somewhere I had taken a wrong turn because I went for miles without seeing anybody. Finally my friend Melodie got close to me, but she finally passed me when I stopped that last time. I was tired. Near the end, the oldest competitor - a 78 year old gentleman - passed us both. I cheered him on.

I rallied my energy on the last mile because we passed the run course. Lots of competitors was waiving at us, and I saw Turqy who offered some encouragement, and my training partner Dave was there cheering for me. Boy was I ready to get off that bike, when I got to T2!

Check my gear beforehand. If I absolutely had to stop, make sure I had everything adjusted properly to avoid multiple stops. Get a road bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I felt really good as I ran to my spot with my bike. There were alot of people milling around and getting their gear together because it was so late. Many of them called out my number and cheered me through my transition. My bike was really heavy at ths point, and it took a couple of tries to hoist it unto the rack. I felt great overall, the transition went pretty smoothly, and I was off and running before I knew it.

Hydrate and stretch my legs for an extra minute or 2.
Run
  • 35m 41s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 12m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Hydration: 2 cups water, 1 cup gatorade

I passed Melodie immediately as I started the course. About 50 yards into the run, my legs started fighting the new movement pattern. I was dehydrated. I walked for a little bit and then started running again. Dave was out there and he cheered me as I went by. It made me run faster seeing him, and hearing the people driving by in cars call out encouragement.

I kept this run/walk up for a little bit, until I started really cramping up. I drank 1 cup of water and poured some on my head which I really needed because the sun came out and was very hot just as I started the run. I about 3/4 of a mile into it, I had to stop for a few seconds to try to stretch my calves and then kept going. But it didn't help that much. So, finally I stopped by a tree and stretched for 3 minutes. Stretching was excruciating because my calves and quads were so cramped. Melodie passed me, but she was alternating walking too, though she didn't ever stop to stretch.

Once I started back running again, I felt a little better, and immediately there was a drink station with gatorade. I drank that and couldn't believe the difference. I had energy and stopped cramping. That last 1/2 mile the only thought I had was "God is my strength." It carried me through. I ran for the next mile, but by the last quarter mile I was walking again because of the dehydration.

When I neared the finish, I of course started running again. Melodie was just ahead of me, and all her family was there screaming for her. The announcer asked who she was and Erin went over and said it was her first tri and gave him her name, so he announced her like she was a celebrity when she crossed the finish line. Then they all realized I was coming and started yelling for me. I was so happy to finish, that my hands just flew up int the air. I don't even remember them taking off my timing trip. I was so ecstatic.

Stretch in T2!!! Drink gatorade. Train more for running.
Post race
Warm down:

I milled around at the finish, drank water, and visited wtih Mel, Nathan, and Erin's families, and talked to Turq. Then Dave helped us take our stuff to the car and we took our "Triathlete" pictures, before heading out.

Post-Race Nutrition: 24oz water, 3 slices deli turkey, 3 slices cantalope

Nap 1:30-3:30pm. My body felt really weird. As the day progressed I got really achey, nauseated, and weak. I was pretty dehydrated, and needed food.

Late dinner 8:30pm: beef tips, mashed potatoes, corn crackers, bread . . . mmm, mmm, good! I finally made myself eat and drink, and felt so, so much better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Adrenaline and panic on the swim. 2 malfunctions with my bike. Dehydration and cramping on the run.

I hadn't trained this week prior to the race, and I was a little worried. I hurt all over, because I moved heavy furniture and such two days before the race. My low back was in pain, and I had strained muscles in my sholder and neck. I was super tired too. I didn't really think I'd be in this kind of (bad) shape before my race. But the week before, I felt really good when I was training, and had the 2 or 3 best run workouts I've had ever. Adrenaline and determination really got me through. I talked to God pretty much the whole race. Despite all my problems on the bike and those on the run, I still made my goal just barely to finish in under 2 hours. I loved my first tri! I'll be doing this again soon.

Event comments:

This was really a great race to do for my first tri. It was very organized, and the volunteers were really awesome. I'd like to do it next year and blow my time from this year away! I'm a triathlete.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:50 | 300 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 307/450
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim 25yd at the local YMCA in Rockwall
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:58 | 14 miles | 12.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/21
Overall: 345/450
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills on back country roads. Most of it was fairly smooth, but there were definitely some potholes that we had to navigate around.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:41 | 02.9 miles | 12m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/21
Overall: 336/450
Course: Partly grass, partly sidewalk out and back, with spectators along to cheer you on. 3 water stops, on the loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-28 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Subject: 6th Annual 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon
Well here is the report, finally.  A month after my first tri.  If you want see more pictures from the race, check-out my album.  Thanks to all of you who encouraged me so much along the way!  It was totally unexpected to find such a partnership here on a website, but it's made all the difference.  It was really fun to meet Aaron (JeepFleeb) and Mike (turqy), at Tri the Rock.  I can't wait to meet more of you soon.  I'm a triathloner for life now!

Edited by MandiGayle 2005-09-28 3:13 PM

2005-09-28 3:24 PM
in reply to: #255593

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-09-28 4:51 PM

Elite
Subject: RE: 6th Annual 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon

Congratulations on finishing.  Great race report.  How frustrating to have the problems you were having on the bike.  Now you're a triathlete.  Things only get better!!!

2005-09-28 4:59 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Great job! Nice to read your report....glad that you are hooked on tri's for life. I may be at the LAC -tri if I can work it in!! Keep up the great work.

-Anant-
2005-09-28 8:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
hey hey, its a race report! nicely raced and nicely written. you handled your first like a champ.

i'd love to go to the LAC tri, but $55 is just too steep for the starving triathlete. i know that is sad, but when you don't got it you just don't got it. on a happy note all of that money is going to a new bike.

speaking of which if you need a temp ride i have a trek hybrid (either 7300 or 3700, i forget) in quite fine shape. is it the same bike you already ride? if you need to borrow just say the word.

maybe through a PM though, its far too difficult to keep up with all the inspirations of others' blogs and these race report correspondence.
2005-09-29 7:47 AM

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland

Well done. The first time is quite intimidating, but your a triathlete now.

David

2005-10-03 12:30 AM

Elite
Texas
Way to go! Great pics too!
2005-10-03 6:08 AM

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
That report was worth waiting a month, I read it twice. Congrats on completing you first triathlon and thanks for the entertaining report.

ken
2005-10-03 10:47 AM

Giver
Wow...great race Mandi, and what an awesome race report. Not to mention the pics! Look everyone...some people do get good race pics! It's not a myth!
2005-10-04 2:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Hey guys, thanks so much for your encouragement and enduring the novella of a race report.  Wow, I really didn't think anyone would get past paragraph two, let alone read it twice!  Ya'll are great.  I looked at those pictures and thought, 'Who is that?'  ha!  I guess they did turn out better than I expected.

My first tri experience was so enjoyable that the memory of it has really kept me trying to train amidst moving towns, and plenty of obstacles the last couple of months.  As untrained as I currently am, I'm really looking forward to my next race (LAC Tri) - maybe I'll see some of ya'll there. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 6th Annual 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon Rss Feed