Maryland Coastal Bays Program
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 29s
Overall Rank = 101/228
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45. Left Cambridge at 5:30. Drank about 12 oz. Naked Green Machine on the way down. Arrived at the race at about 6:45, got a great rack position. Ate a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter, clif bar and sipped water.
Event warmup:

5 minute easy jog about 25 min. before race start. Swam about 50 yards.
Swim
  • 13m 40s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

I must have been spoiled from my first race because I only had contact with other people a few times. I basically spent the entire swim bumping into people and getting bumped into. The start was only about 4-5 ft. deep all the way to the first bouy and people in front of me were actually walking/running that far out. I couldn't get through them so I ended up breast stroking a lot to the first bouy. I managed to get around a few of them after the first turn, but we were still bunched up through most of the race. I never had the chance to get any kind of rhythm - every time I put my face back in the water I was bumping into the guy in front of me. Maybe this is just how triathlon swims are and I need to get used to it.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not confident enough in myself to seed myself in front at the start for fear of getting swam over, but being in the back was a pain.

The swim included T1 so I backed out 1:30 for T1.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Good transition. I'm putting Yankz on my shoes for my next race and I'm going to learn to bike and run without socks to save on that time too. Otherwise, a smooth transition.

HR was outrageous coming out of the water - 187! No wonder I can't swim well - I'm stressed beyond belief with anxiety I guess.

No socks.
Bike
  • 47m 17s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 19.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoy the bike - especially when coming out of T1. I would have liked to pushed harder, but I was focusing on getting my HR into a managable range. Passed a few road bikes (and got passed by a bunch). Even got a compliment from one guy that I was keeping a good pace for a mountain bike....as he passed me. Drank a few sips of Gatorade and a whole large bottle of water. Took 1 Accel gel at about mile 10.

Have a road bike. Next year, baby!
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Easy transition for me since I don't have cycling shoes. Put my running hat on and that was it.

Nothing.
Run
  • 28m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a good run, but my ranking shows that this is definitely an area I need to work hard on this winter. Had some slight cramp-like pains on top of my stomach for the first mile. I don't know if that was from drinking too much, but it wasn't unmanagable. Didn't feel like I needed water at the stations, but took a few sips anyway.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, banana. Chatted with Glen, Marianne, Sherrie and Maddie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming and running. Felt like I spent much of the race just trying to keep my HR down. I need to at least learn how to relax during the swim.

Event comments:

Awesome race. Great stuff in the goody bag, great location, very relaxed atmosphere. This will definitely be an annual race for me.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:40 | 880 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 180/228
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Point to point arc. The course was definitely measured short - there's no way I can swim a half mile under 15 minutes, let alone 13:40.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:17 | 15.2 miles | 19.29 mile/hr
Overall: 98/228
Performance: Good
HR was 187 getting on the bike. Spent most of the bike trying to get it down under 160. I did get it down to 162, but that was it.
Wind: Little
Course: Very nice, flat bike course on good roads. No noticable wind, but you could definitely feel it against you on a couple stretches.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:02 | 03.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 188/228
Performance: Average
HR was 170-174 pretty much the entire time. 180 on last quarter mile or so.
Course: Out and back - flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-10-02 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: Osprey Sprint Triathlon

2005-10-02 6:46 PM
in reply to: #257839

User image

Veteran
Washington, DC(ish)
Subject: RE: Osprey Sprint Triathlon
Thanks for the report. Aweseome pace on a mountain bike. You will be blowing by people like they are standing still once you get your road bike. This one is on the radar for me next year.
2005-10-02 8:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Great report......19+ mph on a moutain bike???  YOU ROCK!!!!

2005-10-02 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Great race, Dave.  Quite an improvement over Lums Pond.  I was walking over to the finish line when you crossed and thought, "Wow, he's here already!"  When you consider your brief history in the pool and the MTB, you should be proud of what you've accomplished this season.  I hope you can keep it going at Henlopen.
2005-10-03 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
This was my first tri and had a similar experience in the water. Race report here. I should have seeded myself closer to the front of the swim pack.

That is incredible time on your mtn bike. I also rode a mtn bike and watched a LOT of people fly by me. I also will be looking for a road bike in the coming year.

Congratulations on your awesome times!

Edited by rollinsw 2005-10-03 3:10 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Osprey Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed