setup
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 45m 32s
Overall Rank = 274/474
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 30/51
Pre-race routine:

Drove down Friday afternoon to check the location and drive the bike and run courses...this was my first time at Pinehurst and I got lost! The street signs are all these little fancy-smancy richy-tichy wooden things and I'm so blind... I finally found the race site after some frustrated minutes. Picked up the packet and then tried to drive the run course, but got lost again! I gave up and headed off to the Hampton Inn and did the usual OCD thing with all my gear... maybe got a couple hours of sleep... got up around 5:30 and ate a banana and a bagel, 2 cups of coffee, and some gatorade.

Event warmup:

Got to the race site around 6:30, set up my TA, and put on the race shoes. Went out for a little run, maybe a mile... felt good.. Found MTbonker's (Victor) race number and introduced myself. We chatted a short while... took the bike out and rode about 3 miles... felt good... put on the wetsuit and swam about 300 yards or so... felt good...
Swim
  • 27m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim!!! For once, the course was counter-clockwise and I could breathe to the left the whole time! It was fun to race in the wetsuit again. Nothing more to say here, except I took it easy... maybe even too easy. I took a gel about 20min before the start...
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

There was maybe a 200 yard run up a hill to the TA area. This actually helped to get the blood to the legs and to catch my breath. I lost a little time with the wetsuit, but no biggie. I ate another gel and washed it down with water, grabbed the bike and was off... felt good...
What would you do differently?:

practice this more often
Bike
  • 1h 16m 21s
  • 24.28 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I was little concerned because this was the first race with my new shoes and pedals, but I mounted just fine. First 2 or 3 miles I used high cadence, low gears to get the blood flowing. Felt good... mile 15 ate another gel... ok... around mile 20, I notice I'm falling off the pace a bit and more racers than usual are passing me. My legs started to just fail me...not really cramping, but just spent. I drank some more water...and made it to T2...didn't think much about it..., but felt CONCERNED!

Don't know... Did I go out too fast? Not enough water? Probably more like, dahhh, not enough long rides before the race...
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

1 more gel.

nada
Run
  • 58m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

OK... WTF??? I felt terrible.. I had no legs whatsoever. I decided to run with a short step and high cadence for a couple of miles hoping to get my legs back...just never happened. People just kept passing me.. I'm so competitive...GOD this killed me!!!! I started to walk up the hills around mile 3. I changed my total time goal to just break 2:40... then when that wasn't going to happen, I gave in and just tried to finish the thing before it finished me...

I don't know... I believe I hydrated correctly... I think I took it out too fast in the bike segment. I THINK I can bike better than I really CAN bike. LOL!!!!! This winter is all about the bike. How can my tri club members do this distance in 1:05?

Yeah baby, ride lots in the winter...!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and a cold diet Coke and sat down to recover. I later ate 2 hot dogs and some rice and beans. Had a couple of beers later with 3 of my tri club members.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I will work much harder to build that bike endurance and strength up over the winter months!!!

Event comments:

Overall, a very good race. Great swim venue!!! Ok bike route. Very challenging run course that I will kick butt next year!!

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:01 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/51
Overall: 109/474
Performance: Good
Suit: orca sleeveless
Course: counter-clockwise triangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:21 | 24.28 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/51
Overall: 272/474
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: large loop, some rolling hills
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:03 | 06.2 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/51
Overall: 342/474
Performance: Below average
Course: loop around the lake with small hills throughout
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-10-03 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Subject: Pinehurst Oly

2005-10-03 10:31 PM
in reply to: #258669

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Oly
Good race!  I really liked the course.  Still working on my race report.
2005-10-03 10:45 PM

User image

Regular
All the short little hills killed me and I wound up in the same boat as you... downshifting my goals as the run went on... by mile 5, just wanted to finish!

tridaddy.blogspot.com
2005-10-04 5:51 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

AWESOME race Mark!   You kicked butt!!  Isn't the diet coke at the end the best tasting thing in the entire world??  

2005-10-04 7:02 AM
in reply to: #258775

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
I know what you mean about the fancy-shmancy non-reflective street signs. I had to turn around twice in the dark before the race.

What did you think about that mile-long steady uphill on the bike?

Speaking of the bike course .... I blew past some race volunteers at one corner because they weren't indicating a turn. Luckily they started yelling for me to come back, so I locked up my rear tire and swung around to take the turn. I must've been so fast that they didn't not seen me coming! Either that or they were discussing their golf game. I honestly don't know which one.

Now we know what to expect out of the event. Watch out Pinehurst 2006!
2005-10-04 7:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Hey Mark,

I love the street sign description! You are not the first person I have heard talk about the leg-sapping rolling hills of Pinehurst. So you had to change strategy, so what? You had a great race and an especially good swim. Way to hang in there and finish that run! Lots of people would have just quit and walked. You and I both will be on the bike lots more this winter, hopefully some of that together. Great race and report!

Fred

2005-10-04 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Great race Mark!  Congrats on your finish.  It sounds like it was a tough race!  Glad that you got another one under your belt.  Was this your first Oly???? Also sounds like the competition was stiff.  Some of those splits are downright scary.  I agree with you on ride lots.  Seems like having a great bike portion makes such a difference in races.  Keep on working that engine!   

2005-10-04 7:01 PM

User image

Regular
I agree about being passed by what seems like hundreds of people!  I was getting frustrated but REFUSED to let it wreck my race goals.  I just kept on keepin' on.  Just part of the mental game I suppose.

You're so right - the set-upinc.com directions are not very good, and they have the worst dang road signage I have seen in a while.  At least you were smart enough to scope it out the day before when there was light.  I did the same thing last year too.  Made the drive from Holly Springs at 5:00am easier to deal with since I wasn't stressed about where I was going. 

Good to see you had a great race in 2005.  See you next year at 'hurst 2006!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Oly Rss Feed