Moon Dancer Vineyards & Winery
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 5s
Overall Rank = 50/56
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

It was changed from a tri to a du last minute due to environmental conditions, so organizing T1 became a priority since T2 was at a second location. I meandered around and met a fellow BT'er. I shivered alot and was thanksful that the swim was cancelled.
Event warmup:

Not much warm-up. I stretched a little and wandered around meeting new people. there were lots of nice racers there.
Run
  • 08m 48s
  • 1 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't imagine the run time is right, but if it is, that's the fastest mile I've ever run! I know I was winded from the run, I think there were only 6-10 people behind me.
What would you do differently?:

Maintain better form. Land on my toes and keep my knees up.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

We never got T1 times, so I'm not sure how long it took. I felt pretty good but I had to pack the running gear so volunteers could transport it to T2.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 02m 1s
  • 11 miles
  • 10.64 mile/hr
Comments:

There were so many constant ups and downs that I didn't drink on the course. I was afraid of crashing. The roads were wet and leaf covered so I didn't chance it. I paid for it on the second run. At least I was able to take a gu toward the end of the ride. There were still about a dozen people behind me since I passed a few.

Obviously I need practice on hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Oh my gosh I was tired. Nothing like climbing a hill to get to T2. I actually almost fell over getting off the bike. I caught myself and retrieved my running gear to get changed over. We didn't get times for T2, but I was so tired I sat down to put on and tie my shoes. As far as I know, no wasted time.

Nothing
Run
  • 37m
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a disaster by this point. I was passed by a few but at that point I didn't care. The course was so hilly I found myself walking the steeper hills. I hurt my knee and found it difficult even to trot. My run time is estimated, I subtracted 1:30 for each transition area and used the remainder for the run. This was the hardest race I've ever competed in (although that's not saying much). I just can't get over the hills!!!! By the end most of us were walking up the hills, that made me feel better. The best part of the whole race was seeing my son right before the finish line, he ran out and we held hands and ran across the line together. It was really cute!

Practice, practice, practice. Some hill training wouldn't hurt either.
Post race
Warm down:

Iced my knee, had a sampling of wine :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The challenging nature of the course and hurting myself. I needed to drink more on the bike. I was sufficiently dehydrated enough that my wedding rings were cutting into my fingers, I could hardly bend them so that became a distraction. I took 2 sips of water as I passed the water stations, but I should have made the effort on the bike.

Event comments:

I don't know that I would do this event again. I didn't like having to drive to the finish and take a bus back to the start. I also didn't like the idea of my gear being moved around without me (although the transition was seemless, they did a great job). I placed in my age group and won an ingraved wine glass. That was my first award so it's special to me, even though I was 3 out of 4. I'm still proud of myself. I came home, took a shower, got a little nap, ate 1/2 a pizza and am ready for bed! If you really want to see the layout of the race, check out the elevation maps for the event at www.eventimpact.com, go to Moon Dancer, and click on maps. It's worth it to see and feel my pain! :-)

Last updated: 2005-09-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:08:48 | 01 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/56
Performance: Good
Course: From the start, over the bridge, around the Honda Element, back to start. Mostly flat except for getting on and off the bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:02:01 | 11 miles | 10.64 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: "Rolling hills with some challenging climbs and technical turns" BALONEY! This ride was torturous! It was all hills- no rollers- and a climb almost the whole way. I only went 2 speeds, either 5 mph up hill or 38 mph down hill (My fastest max speed by the way). I even looked at my odometer during the ride. The hills were so steep I was watching people dismount and walk up the hills. No kidding! I didn't though, but I was hurting.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:00 | 03 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Just like the bike, hilly as can be. No flats, except when we ran through the rows of grapevines on the grass at the winery. Beautiful!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-10-09 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Subject: Moon Dancer Triathlon

2005-10-09 8:08 PM
in reply to: #262388

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,
Subject: RE: Moon Dancer Triathlon

Hey Beth,

I just wanted to say it was nice meeting you today, and also great job on the 3rd place age group finish.

Dirk

2005-10-09 8:24 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Kinda glad I didnt opt to do this one. I was sooo tempted because it was the last tri anywhere near Pgh or Columbus (Even though it would have meant a 3hr drive and then another 4 hr drive). Without the swim, I'm screwed. Too much running for me.
2005-10-09 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Oh that sounds like a tough tough time!  Arrggh now you've got me all worried about my duathlon on Sunday.

Good on you for getting through it and placing!! thats awesome.  Just think the next one has got to be easier

2005-10-10 6:38 PM
in reply to: #262428

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Thanks all for the encouragement! Now that it's done I'm glad I did it. I'm nursing myself back to health and ready to start training for next year! Hey Dirk, thanks for not letting me cheat, LOL!!!
2005-10-10 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Congrats on placing ! Sounds like a Sweet moment with your son- nice cap to a tough day...Hope you enjoyed the wine!

2005-10-11 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Way to stick it out and ride up those hills. It sounded like a tough race. Congratulations on the hardware.

Ernie
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moon Dancer Triathlon Rss Feed