General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, what's your funniest moment after losing weight? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-11-03 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: So, what's your funniest moment after losing weight?

I didn't want to hijack the before/after thread...

I lost all of my weight the year leading up to my wedding. I had decided that I didn't want to be fat at my wedding. Huge motivator.

So, when you have a wedding, you get to see a lot of people that haven't seen you recently. One of my wife's aunts arrives early to help setup, and I go over to chat with her a bit. My wife and I were together for 8 years before getting married, so I knew her family very well. However, her aunt is giving me the cold shoulder like "why is this guy talking to me." I thought it was strange, but there were other people arriving so I ignored it.

Then, my SISTER shows up, and as I walk over to her, she says politely to me, "Hi I'm Bianca, Jason's sister." That's when it dawns on me that these people don't recognize me... WTF! I don't know who was more embarrassed, them or me.

Edited by Aspiring 2011-11-03 9:08 PM

2011-11-03 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3821843

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
Subject: RE: So, what's your funniest moment after losing weight?

That is funny....that folks didn't recognize you.

My funniest moment was probably the first time a friend told others, while introducing me, that I was "half the man I used to be".

2011-11-03 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA

At a friends party when one of my wife's friends asks my wife who's son I was. (I'm 46) Everyone in the room started laughing.

Not as funny but had several people come up to me at work and ask me that they had noticed my weight loss and asked if I was sick.

2011-11-03 10:34 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

My husband dropped a bunch of weight over the last year. He looks really good and quite a bit younger. My parents came to visit this May and met us at an event on campus the day they arrived. They had called my husband a number of times making sure they knew where they were going and where he was sitting. My parents walked past him a number of times before he saw them. My mom eventually admitted that they didn't recognize him and wondered why some young guy kept waving at them.

On the plus side, I no longer confuse my husband for his brother.

2011-11-03 10:54 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

I have a friend that I usually only see about once a year. Occasionally we will run into each other around town though. My husband and I had begun walking on our local college campus and a few times I thought that I saw her, but I waved and she didn't wave back. Then my husband thought he saw her and he said she wouldn't even look at him. We couldn't figure out what was up with her. Finally, she and I  scheduled our usual meet up and she walked straight past me. When I called her name she turned around and was floored. We both realized she didn't recognize me and starting laughing together.

She then admitted that she had seen me and dh but thought that he was having an affair.  She was dreading our lunch because she had finally made up her mind that as a true friend she had to tell me. Imagine her surprise when "the other woman" was in the restaurant. She had even gone as far as asking the guidance counselor at my children's school if she had heard anything about dh and I having problems ( the counselor is her best friend), and couldn't believe that dh would so openly flaunt his "other woman". We both laughed the entire lunch. I still tease dh about his "other woman".

Shelly

2011-11-03 11:02 PM
in reply to: #3821916

User image

Master
Houston
jezzieswims - 2011-11-03 10:34 PM

My husband dropped a bunch of weight over the last year. He looks really good and quite a bit younger. My parents came to visit this May and met us at an event on campus the day they arrived. They had called my husband a number of times making sure they knew where they were going and where he was sitting. My parents walked past him a number of times before he saw them. My mom eventually admitted that they didn't recognize him and wondered why some young guy kept waving at them.

Uh... story?

2011-11-03 11:09 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
This probably doesn't rank so high on the funny scale, but I had a bunch of people ask behind my back whether I had cancer. I guess I looked pretty lame at the point when I had lost a pile of weight but hadn't yet gone and bought a new wardrobe.
2011-11-04 12:30 AM
in reply to: #3821936

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
NewClydesdale - 2011-11-03 9:02 PM
jezzieswims - 2011-11-03 10:34 PM

Uh... story?

Hahah ...

Each spring we go camping with a group of friends (including my BIL). Two years ago the weather was pretty cold and we all ended up bundled in heavy coats and knit caps. I came back to camp after a hike to find a bunch of guys playing cards at a table. I walked over to my husband and started rubbing his shoulders ... when I realized that he was actually sitting across the table. I was giving my BIL the back massage. My husband is probably a good 70 or 80 pounds lighter than his brother now ... no more confusion.

2011-11-04 3:07 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I've heard the 'other woman' story before and I always wonder about this. I expect people I don't see that often to not recognize me because they don't really know me but I would not expect someone who is close to both not recognize me and to assume my husband was cheating on me rather than that I lost weight. It seems like a weird way for people's mind to work but  I've heard it over and over so it must be pretty common.

I've also been asked if I was okay in a hushed tone of voice. When I had visible muscles and glowing (and tan) skin and am the picture of health. I don't get that one either!

It's like people WANT to assume the worst.

Well,  I guess those weren't funny... for a funny one, for a year after I stopped losing every time I ran into a certain friend, she'd ask me if I had lost more weight!

Edited by MacMadame 2011-11-04 3:08 AM
2011-11-04 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

I dropped 60 pounds last year, and two things which come to mind:

1. At work, I had someone stop by my office and ask "to talk to me" in a hesitant manner. She was concerneed about my health, and a few folks in the office wanted to know what was wrong with me. Slight embarrassment turned to admiration when I told her what was going on

2. Had to go pick up a prescription for my wife, and as part of it, had to show a photo ID. My drivers license picture is me at my peak heaviest, and was taken maybe 4 weeks before I started getting healthy. I showed her my ID, and she hesitated. Looked at me, the license, back at me. She finally asked me "Is this actually you?". I had to show another ID to prove it was me.

I've also had a few women at work tell me how great I look, etc.

2011-11-04 6:40 AM

User image

Bronze member

I have to admit, my BIL lost some weight a few years ago and I was one of those people asking if he was feeling o.k. Innocent.

I didn't mean the question to sound discouraging. I was really concerned. I think you get used to seeing someone look a certain way. I never thought he needed or wanted to lose weight so when he came to Thanksgiving looking really skinny alarms went off. Then he chose not to eat Mom's pie, I thought he must be seriously ill .

Funny stories everyone! So happy for you all.

2011-11-04 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3821904

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-04 9:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Good stories here. I had the doctor do a double take a couple weeks ago when taking my heart rate. "Your heartrate is really low...."   Was kind of funny. I still think of myself as the way I was a year ago. Kind of cool to be able to say a normal resting HR for me is 54
2011-11-04 9:40 AM

Expert
Austin

I don't have anything funny per say but I have had a few of the same experiences that everyone else has. I'm about 50lbs lighter than I was in high school, so when I run into someone from back then I usually get the jaw dropped expressions and a bit more attention from the ladies.

2011-11-04 9:48 AM

Master
Just South of Boston
One more: On a visit to the doctor a few months back, the nurse came in to do my weight/height/blood pressure/pulse, etc. She went through it, and then redid my bp & pulse a couple times. She kept flipping a couple pages back & forth in my records, then said "Excuse me for a moment". about 30 seconds later she comes in w/ the doc. He takes a look at me, looks at the records, then asked "Uh, you run at all by chance? Lose some weight?". I explained yes, etc. They both looked rather relieved, and confessed the weight difference, lower bp, and resting pulse about 18 bpm lower than my prior visit had them thinking I was very ill or they had the wrong persons records .
2011-11-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3822306

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas

hahaha, my mom asked me if i was healthy and if i'd been to the doctor recently (ironically not, much less issues now that i'm healthier!).  A friend at dinner the other night asked if I was ordering anything, because of the weight I lost.  I ate mine and the rest of everyones leftovers.  and the bread.  and tried everyone's appetizers.  and was still hungry!

I've definitely had people not recognize me, especially when running, people will say afterwards they didn't think it could be me...lifestyle change and physical change!  

I also have the converse that it scares people, "good friends" from my old lifestyle I hardly talk to anymore.  It's ok, I have found new ones along the way!

2011-11-04 10:24 AM

Regular
Madison, MS

After I decided to finally get into some shape, I dropped 55+ lbs and at the same time grew a full beard. So around a year ago a good friend of mine is looking through old pictures with his 4 year old daughter and finds a college picture of Him, his brother in law and me(much heavier and clean shaven) and ask his daughter

"do you know who that is?"

She Responds "Thats you daddy, and thats Uncle Jason"

he says "what about him?" pointing at me, she says "I dunno"

He says" That's Mr. Lucas" without missing a beat she says "You know another Mr. Lucas?"

I about cried when he told me that story I was laughing so hard

2011-11-04 12:13 PM

Regular
I've lost about 32 pounds in the last year (still have 25 to go).  Anyway, I was talking to my mom about something stupid I had done (I don't even remember what it was), and I made that comment "I feel like a big jerk."  To which my mom replied, "You're not big."  Cracked us both up!
2011-11-04 12:26 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

I always liked the comment, "You're so skinny.  You probably eat everything you want and stay thin."

I would always say, "Yeah sure", or something or other to deflect the situation.

Then one day, while at the Dr's with my wife for some prenatal care, a heavyish, but other wise nice nurse said the "You're so skinny......."

I said my piece, but the nurse said something like "All you skinny people are all like that blah blah...."            You know...venom.

So my wife coolly states, "He used to weigh 300 lbs and he lost it all thorough diet and exercise.  You can't use that as an excuse for being fat."  She might have been a little cranky, she just had a 9 pound baby turned 180 degrees in her stomach........twice.

2011-11-04 12:34 PM

Veteran
SE TX

My wife and I lost 20lbs each last year, through a balance of diet and exercise. That was 10% of my body weight and I lost 2 inches off my waist. We both got lots of compliments. My tri training started after that and I stayed almost exactly the same weight for approximately 1 year, but I still kept getting comments.  Apparently the change in body composition showed at least as much as the dramatic weight loss.

The funny parts are when co-workers who work at other sites and only see me 1-2x/yr have trouble recognizing me. Also, my wife now mixes up my shorts with my 11-year-old's.

ETA: I still feel overweight (and am, by the stats, within just 7 lbs of being "overweight"). I was once technically "obese" though nobody would have guessed by looking at me. I train with people who tell me I am smaller than they are and I don't believe them, but I guess my eyes just haven't adjusted to my size. Or I really am just running (and swimming and riding) away from my old, fat self who keeps chasing me.

Edited by CKTX 2011-11-04 12:38 PM
2011-11-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3822844

Expert
Flapjack - 2011-11-04 12:26 PM

So my wife coolly states, "He used to weigh 300 lbs and he lost it all thorough diet and exercise.  You can't use that as an excuse for being fat."  She might have been a little cranky, she just had a 9 pound baby turned 180 degrees in her stomach........twice.

That's great, and so true!  I lost some weight a while back, nothing like some of these pictures, but noticeable to people.  It really amazed me how many people asked the "Whats your secret?" question.  Does anyone really believe there is a secret?  Really?  Eat less for weightless, exercise more for fitness.  Done.  I believe it was Ben Franklin who said "The wonderful and terrible thing about being a rational being is the ability to rationalize anything."  Or some such thing. 

It amazes me how many people do the weight watchers thing and steadily gain weight the whole time.  I think they do it as a social thing so they can all commiserate the unfairness of it all.

2011-11-04 12:50 PM

New user
I've lost 40lbs this year and I also got asked if something was wrong with me. I guess the funniest thing happened a few weeks ago when my wife and I were in a store and saw a couple for the first time in probably a year. We said hi, how are you, etc and went on our way. A little while later we saw them again in the store and they admitted that they had not recognized me the first time they saw us. Apparently they thought my wife was with someone else now. 
2011-11-04 12:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Maybe not intentional but some pretty inspirational stories here.  Congrats to all of you.  I'm working on my weight with no dramatic improvements and no funny stories.  I particularly relate to CKTX as my BMI says I'm .5 under obese. 

Having discovered Triathlons spectating at IM Canada 2010 I feel I've really made positive changes in a short period of time and I think I'm on track for about another 20lb wt. loss then I'll reassess from that point.

And, I look forward to some funny bits.

2011-11-04 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3822864

New user
Connecticut Shore
CKTX - 2011-11-04 12:34 PM

My wife and I lost 20lbs each last year, through a balance of diet and exercise. That was 10% of my body weight and I lost 2 inches off my waist. We both got lots of compliments. My tri training started after that and I stayed almost exactly the same weight for approximately 1 year, but I still kept getting comments.  Apparently the change in body composition showed at least as much as the dramatic weight loss.

The funny parts are when co-workers who work at other sites and only see me 1-2x/yr have trouble recognizing me. Also, my wife now mixes up my shorts with my 11-year-old's.

ETA: I still feel overweight (and am, by the stats, within just 7 lbs of being "overweight"). I was once technically "obese" though nobody would have guessed by looking at me. I train with people who tell me I am smaller than they are and I don't believe them, but I guess my eyes just haven't adjusted to my size. Or I really am just running (and swimming and riding) away from my old, fat self who keeps chasing me.

Its been 8 years since I lost the bulk of my weight.  I year since I had the excess skin carved off me.  I still see the fat me in pictures.  Can't shake it.  Body image dismorphia (sp?) I guess.  I was really fat for a long time.  Someone else said it on elsewhere on the board, but I sense this too.....the thinner I get the more fat I see on my body.

I have a few lbs to lose.  I want to be lean and not skinny.  That's the tricky part.

2011-11-04 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3822927

wenceslasz - 2011-11-04 1:56 PM

Maybe not intentional but some pretty inspirational stories here. 

^^I'll second that!

I've yo-yo'd for several years and spent way too much time lifting weights in my past.  Last year discovered Triathlon.  Unfortunately, I gave most of my gains back this spring while studying for the CFA exam, but this season I've dropped 15 pounds while training for a HIM that took place last weekend.  I'll say I'm still pretty scared about the holidays and I hope I can carry my workout momentum through the winter.  Seeing these stories really helps!!! Thanks!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, what's your funniest moment after losing weight? Rss Feed  

of 2