The Austin Marathon Foundation, Inc.
30F / -1C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 24m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, drank a liter of Dr. Pepper, had a muffin and 3 nutter butters. Drove to drop off a car for the runners doing the half and out to the race site. The roads were iced which made the drive REALLY slow. This was a point to point and we were staying pretty close to the finish so the net effect here was the 26 miles seemed Monsterourly far away. We parked and walked around the Freescale buildings to the staging area. I was really surprised that there was no water or breakfast (if there was, I didn't see it. It was really cold with fat little misty drops of water blowing in the wind. Actually, this was kind of motivating as all I wanted to do was start running so I could warm up.
Event warmup:

Event warm up for me consisted of huddling in between a truck and trailer to get out of the wind and growling at any who thought to do the same - this and me and the guys imitating the USA ski coach's yells to Bode Miller (which I can sound remarkably similar to when imitating him: "C'mon Bode!!!!!... Put the hammer down, Bode!!!! C'mon Bode Miller!!!!!!. The night before we were making spaghetti and watching the olympics and I kept saying it, but no one knew what I was talking about. Then we watched the super G and the guy did it like clockwork - So basically for 26 miles I would randomly shout "C'mon Bode!!!!! And scare the shit out of some poor woman running next to me. Good times. Crazy hijinks.
I wanted to go find Aaron, but I couldn't give up my warm out of the wind spot, even to go the bathroom. Screw it. Instead of dropping the kids off at the pool, the kids were gonna have to stay inside.
Run
  • 5h 24m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

So we position ourselves at the 5 hour pace and wait, and wait. the race had been delayed 45 minutes so the cold was really chapping my ass. I just want to start! Looked briefly for Aaron's flag but could not see it: he was probably wrapped in it to stay warm.... We goofed around a bit and finally started to walk towards the line. One odd thing was a couple of deer got caught between the thousands of people and a long line of porta-potties and were absolutely freaked, running, skidding to a halt and then tearing off in the other direction - I was sure someone was gonna get hurt, then we were passed them and starting the run. I saw quite a few people fall in the ice, particularly when they went up on the sidewalk. I was running with Jorge and Jay until the half where they would stop. After about 1 mile, Jay went ahead and Jorge and I ran. I barely remember the first 9 miles - they were really smooth and a little slow, but just what I had planned to do- Jorge was a little slower and started having IT band issues again about then and I dropped him when an amazingly incredible ass passed us. Jorge told me later that I said something to him about the perfect rabbit and took off - I remember it a little differently: that I was soliticious, asking after his health, making sure that he was ok, asking if he needed anything.... Well, anyway, I followed the perfect rabbit but this bunny was cold and uncaring and dropped me at about mile 11, the bitch. This was a truly demoralizing event... as soon as she lost me, my stomach got very empty (her absence or lack of food?). I could almost hear Haley "you have to eat!! you need fuel, dumbass..." With an even more demoralizing feeling in my stomach I realized I left my gu and cliffshots at the house. Oh no. With every step I got more hungery. At mile 12 I called my sister and told her that she needed to bring me some food - and a Dr. Pepper... and that I needed it by mile 13 (her house is at mile 16 or so).

"What do want me to bring?"
"A cheesburger and fries"
"Really?"
She puts nothing past me and for a moment I contemplate eating a cheesburger and fries....
"Hello...?"
"Kidding. Two powerbars and a Dr. Pepper. No diet."
"What about the carbonation?"
"I piss on car-"
"Ok, Ok...."

I get to 13 and there is no Kelly. Tuns out that the closest she could get was mile 15. Shit. Ok. Ok. I asked the medical aid stations for food and they had nothing. At mile 14 or so I got some frito's from a spectator who thought I was being cute. Those fritos saved my ass, cuz my sister was really at mile 16 but didn't have the heart to tell me -she parked and walked towards me...., bless her heart.

Some time in here I kept getting a welling of emotion akin to crying - to the point that I had to actively concentrate on NOT crying. I don't know where it came from, but I was really amazed by it. I got control and trudged on: Bode Miller wouldn't cry - and I know for damn sure that Chuck Norris doesn't cry, so I didn't either.

So, in terms of running, I really felt good to this point and was even increasing my pace a bit. I was concerned that I had not urinated through all this time and forced myslef to go, but it was not much at all. Hmmm...

So I finally meet my sister and walk with her for a while (probably about 5 minutes back towards her car) I ate a protien plus and drank the Dr. Pepper (no diet). While we walked I took off my cotton cover-tee and gave it to her, and my gilligan hat was completely soaked through so I took it off an appropriated her knit hat. I also finally tossed my sodden gloves and was amazed at my wingers - the were a little numb and tingly at the same time and pickled. I then appropriated her gloves, the poor thing - I had her walking, carrying my soaked clothes, hat, gloves and her own stuff... thank god she was there. So I left her and started to run. Everything went great until about mile 19 or so when the cramps came to visit. *you know when you were a kid and someone walking behind you kicked the bottom of your foot, forcing your leg way out in front of you* That is what happened to me - I was running and felt a little tightness in my right hamstring and thought to myself: that's not gonna be good... BLAM! As I picked up my right leg to move it in front of the left it was like I got punched in the back of the leg. My leg actually shot out too far in front of me and I almost fell. This drew as many stares as "C'mon bode!!!!" So I yelled "C'mon Bode!!!!" by way of explanation. They seemed to understand.

The cramps only visited for a few minutes and left. Mile 19, 20 and 21 were actually enjoyable - I did what I shouldn't have done and calculated I was going to finish well under 5 (which was my uber-secret asperation) instead of my stated goal of under 6. I was tired but still ahd plenty of gas and had a really good outlook.

At about mile 21.5 my big toenail seperated from my toe.

Wall, meet Welshy.

Don't think about the toe. Don't think about the toe. ohhhhhhhhhh....

The toe (throb)

The toe (throb)

The toe (throb)

At about this time both of my feet started to really hurt and I just started focussing on all the pain in my legs that I had not been aware of the whole time. My arches hurt badly. My calves were so tight that I felt like they were going to pop. I was prepared to hit the "wall" people talk about, but had I assumed it would be an energy, motivation thing. I had never considered it would be physical.

My toe threw my cadence off and exposed all the dormant pain in a big way.
At mile 22 or so there was an out and back that was very difficult for me. I guess about a mile and a half on an incline, then back down. The worst was just when the out and back starts, you can see all the tents and festivities across the bridge/lake. God that view sucked. I couln't run uphil. I walked most of the incline. I kept waiting to come up to mile 24 and felt sure I had missed it. When I finally did come to it, I was pretty wrecked - not only had that mile and a half taken me about half an hour, my sub 5 hour run, which a short time ago was almost a certainty, was gone. Insult to injury, the 5:00 pacer passed me running the other way. Bitch. so I did what I had to do: "C'mon Bode Miller!!! Put the hammer down!!!!!"

I reached the top, turned around and started running back down. This was an ok time for me. My legs felt like they were full of painful gravel, but I was about to finish a marathon, so my adrenalin was helpinmg, I guess. At mile 25 I had a beer with the Hash House Harriers. At beer number 2 I kind of snapped and realized I wasn't done yet... I walked across the bridge and started running about half way down into the chute -

I realized Aaron was at the turn a little to late to talk, but it was nice to see him "It didn't take you 12 hours after all!" he yelled, but I was already passed him...

Into the finishing chute everyone was quite... Huh? No one was yelling and I was dissapointed so I took matters into my own hands: I put my hand by my ear as I ran and looked every fucker in the eye until they yelled and finally had the whole chute yelling for me - once there was an acceptable volume, I raised up my hands and accepted their accolades....
What would you do differently?:

I would have gottern some shoes that would not have devoured my big toe.
Post race
Warm down:

I was really bummed by the whole after race celebration. No beer, the grounds were sporadic and the party was outside. I couldn't find people and kind of walked around in a bit of a daze until I realized I could call them. We didn't stay long.

Event comments:

We get to Austin late or the expo because my frends are tards. So we head to the expo and get our packs - I was a little dissapointed by the expo, but no worries. I think Whiterock is a better race in terms of the even't aspect of the thing, but still, most of the Mary was downhill, so whaat's to complain about? One of our group wanted to go to Run Gear to try to get a Jacket as the pickings were pretty slim so we rolled to run gear. Run gear did not have any jackets and looked at us like we were idiots, so to put them in their place we bought ridiculously overpriced rain and cold gear from them. That 'el show em.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-20 12:00 AM
Running
05:24:31 | 26.2 miles | 12m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
dacent, decent, decent, decent, decent, decent, decent, decent, decent, etc... *wall* slow, slow, slow, mud flowing uphill.
Course: Tending downhill, this was a great course - until you got to mile 22 or so, then you have to do an out and back which is uphil out, and downhill back. This, along with my inconsistent training, debaucherous lifestile and 250 pounds was my downfall.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-02-20 12:40 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: Freescale Austin Marathon

2006-02-20 12:46 PM
in reply to: #350118

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Freescale Austin Marathon
Nice job of sucking it up, buttercup.
2006-02-20 12:49 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Great job, Welshy.  I'm sure its hurting today, but it's gotta be a good pain.  What an accomplishment!
2006-02-20 12:56 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job.

I can't believe you didn't eat anything until mile 16! The poster child of "what not to do in a marathon"

Way to go.

2006-02-20 1:02 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Wow.  What a race report.  I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats.

2006-02-20 1:02 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Way to go, Welshy. Not really as epic as I expected, but I think that's a good thing for your general well-being.

2006-02-20 1:05 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
You missed the beer? They definitely had it. The down side was that it was Michelob Ultra. I passed on the beer.

Nice job on the race, though, and the race report is a riot! Sorry I missed you!
2006-02-20 1:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-02-20 1:46 PM

Buttercup

Lordy, I wish I hadn't read that RR.

Nice job, Thomas. Very nice job.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST MARATHON!!!!

2006-02-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: #350140

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

dgunthert - 2006-02-20 12:05 PM You missed the beer? They definitely had it. The down side was that it was Michelob Ultra. I passed on the beer. Nice job on the race, though, and the race report is a riot! Sorry I missed you!

I'm sorry too: about missing you AND the beer.....

2006-02-20 2:11 PM

Elite
South Florida
Nice race! And what a sweet sister - you owe her big!

2006-02-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: #350131

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-02-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: #350217

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

MomX3 - 2006-02-20 1:11 PM Nice race! And what a sweet sister - you owe her big!

I think she was worried I was going to kill myself on the course - I'm not exactly the very model of a modern marathoner....

2006-02-20 2:24 PM
in reply to: #350131

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Comet - 2006-02-20 11:56 AM

Great job.

I can't believe you didn't eat anything until mile 16! The poster child of "what not to do in a marathon"

Way to go.

Well, it was more like 15.5 until my sister brought me the bar.... and actually I had about 8 Fritos.... I can't believe they don't have gu on the cources - Triathlons spoiled me - food, bars and gell at every aid station....

For the record, the hash house harriers had beer at mile 25, not 15...

Edited by tmwelshy 2006-02-20 2:28 PM
2006-02-20 3:13 PM

Master
Savannah,

Okay, good race....you finished, almost in tact.  We're all very proud. About your race report:

• A liter of Dr. Pepper, a muffin and three nutter butters?
  • I like the foreshadowing of "C'mon Bode/C'mon Body". Nice.
  • You ate a stranger's Fritos?
  • Did you ever drop the kids off at the pool?  You could get a disease.
  • No comment on the big toe thing.
  • Post race let down and retarded friends bite.

Seriously, great job.
2006-02-20 3:48 PM
in reply to: #350307

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
southernaquagoddess - 2006-02-20 2:13 PM

• A liter of Dr. Pepper, a muffin and three nutter butters? - what's wrong with that?
  • I like the foreshadowing of "C'mon Bode/C'mon Body". Nice.
  • You ate a stranger's Fritos? - again, what's wrong with that?
  • Did you ever drop the kids off at the pool?  You could get a disease. - Not until I hit San Antonio - it was orgasmic....
  • No comment on the big toe thing. - none needed
  • Post race let down and retarded friends bite. - the friends I expect it from - the race, not so much.

Seriously, great job. - thanks!!!!!

2006-02-20 6:48 PM

Pro
Evanston,
COME. ON. BODE!

Tom, from you I frequently learn things I really never wanted to know, sometimes leaving me strangely enlightened all the same. This RR represents the epitome of such Welchian enlightenment. Congrats on the journey that got you here!

And yes, thank God for your sister. And IMO there is nothing wrong with accepting food from your fans, those you know personally and those you don't.

And your fans in the chute: I went thru the same thing at the Houston Half! They were all standing there like mummies silently scanning the street for a sighting of their OWN dear loved ones!!!! I'm thinking, what a load of crock, I just ran 13 miles people, show me some love! Instead of the "ears" thing, I stuck out my hand until SOMEBODY got a clue and slapped it -- and let me tell you, it took a precious while -- then they ALL wanted to slap it, I had a whole row of them slap-slap-slap-slap-slap, they started yelling for me by then, and when for the last 20 yards I broke away and SPRINTED to the finish, hard, they went NUTS and broke into a roar!

Note that Gomez's RR from that same race mentions that the crowd in the chute was awesome. He finished less than 5 mintues after I did by clock time, so I take this as definitive proof that my coaching helped. My assumption is that people were raised by wolves in the wilderness far from civilization and TV and the Olympics and stuff, and so need our help with this sort of thing. Glad you did your part in training 'em up.
2006-02-20 7:29 PM

Master
Minnesota
Way to go!
2006-02-20 9:45 PM

Expert
McKinney, TX
Congrats and thanks for thoroughly scaring any thoughts (and the bejeezus) out of me of ever doing a marathon.  My mouth is still hanging open from that toenail thing! Ugh!

Edited by tri_it_cajun_style 2006-02-20 9:45 PM
2006-02-20 11:18 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Awesome, except for the whole toe thing. Actually that sounded quite gross. Nice job dude!
2006-02-21 6:29 AM

Master
Savannah,
How nuts am I?  I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night last night, and what am I thinking of? Your freakin' toe.  I decided it hopped off your foot to go find some nutrition!  Nutterbutters and strange fritos are not enough nutrition for your big toe, juju boy.

2006-02-21 7:00 AM

Master
Plant City, FL

Congratulations Tom!  You rock!!  BTW: Your race day breakfast sounds strangely like mine!!  

2006-02-21 9:24 AM
in reply to: #350486

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

CitySky - 2006-02-20 5:48 PM COME. ON. BODE! Tom, from you I frequently learn things I really never wanted to know, sometimes leaving me strangely enlightened all the same. This RR represents the epitome of such Welchian enlightenment. Congrats on the journey that got you here! And yes, thank God for your sister. And IMO there is nothing wrong with accepting food from your fans, those you know personally and those you don't. And your fans in the chute: I went thru the same thing at the Houston Half! They were all standing there like mummies silently scanning the street for a sighting of their OWN dear loved ones!!!! I'm thinking, what a load of crock, I just ran 13 miles people, show me some love! Instead of the "ears" thing, I stuck out my hand until SOMEBODY got a clue and slapped it -- and let me tell you, it took a precious while -- then they ALL wanted to slap it, I had a whole row of them slap-slap-slap-slap-slap, they started yelling for me by then, and when for the last 20 yards I broke away and SPRINTED to the finish, hard, they went NUTS and broke into a roar! Note that Gomez's RR from that same race mentions that the crowd in the chute was awesome. He finished less than 5 mintues after I did by clock time, so I take this as definitive proof that my coaching helped. My assumption is that people were raised by wolves in the wilderness far from civilization and TV and the Olympics and stuff, and so need our help with this sort of thing. Glad you did your part in training 'em up.

I know - WTF!??!?!?  Hell, I yelled way to go spectator about a hundred times......

2006-02-21 9:25 AM
in reply to: #350652

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Thanks everyone for your encouragement!!!!
2006-02-21 10:43 AM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
I hurt just reading this. Again, terrific job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freescale Austin Marathon Rss Feed  

of 2