United States
Hawaiian Telcom
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

got up at 3.30, had water and banana, got kids up and threw them in the car. Got dressed, and off we all went. Ate a power bar at 5.00.
Event warmup:

it was raining the whole morning. I was worried about my shoes getting drenched and causing blisters, but we were able to keep out of the rain by finding cover. Parking was good at the stadium, then the busses were great and they were leaving quick so no big lines. Got downtown and the wait was an hour and a half, that was the important time to keep out of the rain. I`m glad we did, because at 5min to go before the start gun the rain stopped for the whole race. So many people!!! I was about 800meters from the start line when the race began, it took about 7min before I crossed the starting line.
Run
  • 01m 24s
  • 8.15 miles
  • 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran well, I was disappointed that the first 3 miles seemed slow. But, I think it`s due to having to becarefull of other people. It was very crowded, and you just can`t run the pace you want because of how many people there are, and alot of them walking. Over all I was happy how I went. I was going to walk parts of it, but I just felt comfortable and kept the pace going. I drafted of a guy for about 2 miles, he was doing the perfect pace for me, then come mile 6 I sped up a little and passed him.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear my race belt, it pissed me off the whole time. Use vasaline, I chaffed under my left arm and on my in thighs a little. This is the longest ever run for me, so you never know these things until you do them.
Post race
Warm down:

found hubby and kids who did it in the stroller. Drank fluids, ate a banana. Relaxed and watched a bit of the cermony and enjoyed the bands.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

people walking in the middle of the darn road. The water stations were just drenched with volenteers throwing water at me. God luv them all, but please don`t throw water over me unless I ask.

Event comments:

there just didn`t seem like enough water stations. The first one was at mile 3.1, but after standing in the rain for so long I think alot of people would have liked one a little earlier. I think they should have announced and stressed the point of walking on the right to let runners through.

Last updated: 2006-02-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:01:24 | 08.15 miles | 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
DOn`t know official, but I think thats about right. I stayed with the military formations for the duration of the run.
Course: Great course, flat really, only a few little hills towards the end but nothing to worry about. It was wet, but it didn`t cause any problems. But, so many people to either run around or dodge it made it scary at times. The first 3 miles was a worry, some people were walking out in the middle of the road instead of sticking to the right. People just didn`t seem to care that others wanted to run it not walk it....a little frustrating.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-02-20 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: Great Aloha Run

2006-02-20 7:32 PM
in reply to: #350390

User image

Master
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Great Aloha Run
Nice job on the run! It must be warm down there.
2006-02-20 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Yeah Dee, way to go.  Great job in setting a new distance record especially while in a race.  It must have been very rewarding after all the medical issues in the fall.   Too bad about all the people in the middle of the road.  Congratulations on a great race.

Ernie 

2006-02-22 5:34 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-02-23 2:51 AM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Great race report!! It sucks when you can't just run where you feel like etc.  I guess thats what comes with big races.

Like Ernie and Chris said its great to se you back racing after your headaches!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Aloha Run Rss Feed