Australia
38C / 100F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 51s
Overall Rank = 70/191
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 10/43
Pre-race routine:

Its HOT HOT HOT in Perth at the moment, had an average sleep because it was stinking hot. I actually got up at 2am and had a cold shower and slept way better after that. Had crumpets and golden syrup for breakfast (decided against the vegemint Ernie!)
Was a little concerned that when I was driving to the race at 5.45am I needed the aircon on full blast.
Event warmup:

Set my gear up, covered myself in as much suncream as possible and drank as much as I could before the race. I was planning a little bike warm up as there was plenty of time before my wave started but decided a swim warm up was a much smarter idea.
Last year this event was my very first tri ever I did the short course it was great to watch all the other girls starting the short course lots of people doing it for their first time too.
Swim
  • 09m
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

The race start was violent, we had a fairly narrow area to line up to start in the deep water, a few boats moored in awkward spots. so didn't get the spot I normally like to start on (front on the outside furthest from shore) so it was a bit of a washing machine start and got a few good kicks and knocks but I'm very pleased to report I am a much stronger swimmer then before and the thrashing and kicking didn't upset me too much. after the first 200ms I had clear water with just one or two feet to sit and draft on. Rounded the buoys in a good spot and the second half of the swim I started passing girls. Felt comfortable and maybe should have swum faster. No Jellys and this part of the river was so clean not like my last tri.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster :) Next swim I'll be wearing my new tri suit too. my old tri top is now too big
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Had an all right transition. I didn't put socks on for the first time on the bike. Whacked on the helmet and glasses and shoes and i was off out of transition. we had to run through the short course transition so it was a long way out to the road

go faster :)
Bike
  • 38m 6s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.50 km/hr
Comments:

Jumped on the bike and started pedalling took about a km to feel comfortable. I went of into daydream land at one part of the race and then looked down at the computer and was like c'arn girl this is a race get your act together. and started pushing it a bit harder. I knew it was very hot so I tried to drink more then I usually would. I didn't pass anyone in my age group but only one girl passed me on the bike in my age group!
great course there was a bit of an easterly wind which made just one segment of the bike hard.
second lap I pushed harder then the first

Ride faster, concentrate not start daydreaming.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not sure of the time as I didn't check my watch when I got back in. Ran in put socks on and whacked my shoes on. I grabbed a lolly as I was heading out for the run which was a good idea at the time.

not sure about the lolly have done it in my races before but today it made me feel sick.
Run
  • 26m
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 12s  min/km
Comments:

By this stage of the morning it was 37C and hot, luckily there were plenty of drink stations one right at the start i dumped on cup over me and tried to drink as much as I could. I had the lolly just before and my guts started feeling average.
I started out with the usual jog/run till my legs came back from jellyland. then I started running. I am just not a fast runner though so ran as fast as I could. Legs were hurting and I couldn't make them go any faster, girls just started passing me. But I'm happy to say not as many as usual. I also knew I was running faster then usual when I caught up and overtook my friend. I normally can't catch her. the first drink station was hilarious all guys manning the station and they were all wearing cockjocks and aprons! very amusing. just after the drink station the sprinklers were on. I was annoyed as I didn't want my shoes to get wet. (I blister very easily) but I was definatley very glad of the cool water when we ran through the sprinklers.
at the 2.5k mark turnaround I was seriously wondering why I was considerign doing the half as this run was killing me. But at the 4k mark I started to feel good and actually sprinted the last km to the finish line (I have never done that before)

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Last year I missed out on a free massage so after getting a big drink of water, I headed to the massage tent and lined up. Had a massage which I think was a mistake as where he worked on is now more painful then before. i'll stick to my usual massage guy in future. watched the rest of the girls finish. and crossed my fingers that I would win the great spot prizes. (no luck for me today, some girl is riding the lovely bike they gave away :( )

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not being fast :) No seriously the heat was a bit of a limiting factor but I'm surprised at how good I felt racing considering it was that hot. (38C when I crossed the finish line)

Event comments:

I loved this race, its such a great race and so supportive being just for women. One of my friends watching it said it was like a Department store of women so many different people out there having a go for the first time.
It was hot and hard racing. I'm very very happy with my times! especially my run as I know that was faster then I normally run. I definitely felt like the training for the half paid off today. I'm also pretty happy with coming 10th out of 43 in my age group.

there may be pictures on their way

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 750 meters | 01m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/43
Overall: 43/191
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: U shaped course in the river
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 26C / 79F Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:06 | 20 kms | 31.50 km/hr
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 0/191
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Two laps of a loop course. Hilly course, Ups and downs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:00 | 05 kms | 05m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 10/43
Overall: 70/191
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back alongside the river.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-03-06 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Rosie O'Grady Womens Triathlon

2006-03-06 8:14 PM
in reply to: #362646

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Rosie O'Grady Womens Triathlon

GO Mel Go!!!!

Awesome race and it must be great too see how far youve come!

Sorry about the heat - it just killed me so you are a legend for going so fast and you finished so high up!!

Congratulations!

2006-03-06 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
You posted a seriously fast time there Mel!!
That's unreal and in the heat too.
I can't believe you had to get up & have a cold shower!!

Top ten in pretty much THE most competitive age group is something to be proud of.
2006-03-07 12:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Aw thanks you guys are great

I forgot to put in my report something funny,  they were advising whether it would be a wetsuit swim or not.  I nearly fell over laughing the water was 26C and it was seriously hot before the race even started. 

They said definitely no wetsuits for the long course (my race)  but if people felt safer/more comfy wearing their wetsuit in the short they could wear it.   

2006-03-07 12:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Fantastic effort Mel, you rock!!

You showed great determination to finish the race (top 10 no least) in a very fast time under extreme conditions. Well done!!

Pictures, yes please!!

2006-03-07 3:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-03-07 5:07 AM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel

Great race and report!  A top ten and a great run.  Congratulations and I don't want to hear anymore about being a slow runner.  There are lots of people that would kill for a 26 minute 5k during a tri, especially in that heat. 

One translation question, what were the guys wearing at the water stop?  Please no pictures, just a general description, please. 

Once again, congratulations and you've made great progress with your training.  You're going to do great at the 1/2.

Ernie

2006-03-07 5:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-03-07 6:57 PM
in reply to: #362837

Veteran
Perth, Oz
ejc999 - 2006-03-07 6:07 PM

Hey Mel

Great race and report!  A top ten and a great run.  Congratulations and I don't want to hear anymore about being a slow runner.  There are lots of people that would kill for a 26 minute 5k during a tri, especially in that heat. 

One translation question, what were the guys wearing at the water stop?  Please no pictures, just a general description, please. 

Once again, congratulations and you've made great progress with your training.  You're going to do great at the 1/2.

Ernie

lol oops maybe I shouldn't have written that in the report,  they were only wearing speedos and aprons,  was very very funny.  and nope no pictures of that I don't want to see that again lol!

2006-03-07 6:58 PM
in reply to: #362834

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Chris Tree - 2006-03-07 4:20 PM Crumpets are the way to go! and Golden Syrup, man - i've not had that for years!!!! You had a great race Mel!!! Just what i'd expect from you, but your run (as a non-runner) was awesome, with an 8:20 pace your training is really paying off! I have ahd the same problem as you before on the bike leg, especially when there are no other riders around to guage pace on, i put little tags on my bike with inspires on them to keep reminding me to pedal faster!!! I can't imagine racing in that heat or swiming in water that warm, must be like a hot tub! Anyway well done, you are going from strength to strength!

Oh I like the idea of little tags on the bike,  thats brilliant Chris I might have to try that.  I've got some great quotes from John Maclean's book  he is super inspiring!

2006-03-07 9:16 PM

Expert
Alabama
nice race mel!! You should be patting yourself big time on the back, you finished it a whole 15min faster than just a year ago...thats a HUGE improvement girlfriend!! Congratus, seriously.
I can`t imagine how hot you guys must have been out there, were there any reports of people dehydrating? I wish every water station was like that one, although, that might not be good because I would slow down to check them out...maybe even stay for 2 cups of water.
Good on you, hope I can give as good a rr on my tri next month, that will be the same situation for me. Last year it was my first tri, so I hope I can do as good..last year I did 1.23, so I am aiming for 1.20 this year....cross fingers, you have inspired me!!!

2006-03-08 11:55 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

No I didn't hear of anyone dehydrating,  I think as its been a bit of a heatwave here for the last two weeks (over 35C every day)  everyone knew they needed more water then normal.

haha I did definitely loose concentration when going through the water station, lol

2006-03-09 2:30 AM

Veteran
Perth, Oz
hmm added some photos but they are all blurry, those were the official ones from online somewhere.  hopefully I'll get some better ones from friends who were there. 
2006-03-09 7:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Wow, you're really fast.    Great race report.  Congrats on 10 in your age group!  I love the term "cockjocks"!!

I'm a little jealous of how hot it is there...even though I'll be complaining that its too hot here in a couple of months.

Good luck on the rest of your races!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rosie O'Grady Womens Triathlon Rss Feed