General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 2 Zero Ave/23 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 2 Zero Ave/23 - Cycle

View Member's Race Log
Langley / Abbostford, British Columbia
Canada
Escape Velocity
5C / 41F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m
Overall Rank = 20?/50?
Age Group = C
Age Group Rank = 0/N/A
Pre-race routine:

Went for pasta with Heather the night before. Had a beer at lunch time. :) Also had a massage the day before.

I felt up feeling a bit crappy. I didn't get a good night's sleep because my cat was bugging me all morning before my alarm went off. When I woke up, I thought that I was getting sick as I had a bit of a sore throat and I felt really achy. Sherri, my massage therapist, said that my muscles might be sore today. I also did a bit of breast stroke swimming on Thursday and when I haven't done breast stroke for awhile the tops of my legs get sore in a very specific area and I was sore there. Oh well, time to suck it up, so I took some vitamins to fend off the sore throat and a tylonal for the muscles.

Ate vector for breakfast, then had an Oatmeal to go bar right before the race began.
Event warmup:

Rode the first part of the course back and forth a few times with Heather and just got the legs going. Warm up was about 25 minutes.

I put 5 degrees out because it was warm in the sun, maybe even warmer, but half of this course was sunny and half was shady. It was cool in the shade, though it was above zero. There was still a bit of snow on the ground though, so it was cool. The road was icy in the shade, but they scraped the ice off of the road before the race started.
Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 47 kms
  • 35.25 km/hr
Comments:

So the race got off to a slower start, just for the first half of a lap as people were testing the conditions and the turns. Then the race started picking up and we started shredding people off of the back.

I hung in there, as did Heather and people kept dropping. After the 3rd time up the false flat, Heather and I looked behind us and there was no one there, so now there was a small group and even that group wasn't all together. Heather and I sprinted up to the end of the group as we had fallen off a tad and then Heather bridged up to the lead riders, but I didn't.

5 other girls and I ended up at the back and so we worked together as a chase group. We ended up dropping to of the girls, one of who was Connie, my rival in the crit series last season (just kidding - I love you Connie, if you ever happen to read this. ;). So I worked together chasing with 3 other girls for the rest of the race. With 1.5 laps to go, we caught some men that had fallen off of the lead group and we caught some men that had fallen off of the Bs. So we worked with the men for awhile and then we dropped them. Up ahead, we could see that the lead had broken up, so that there was a small lead and a small chase and now we were chasing the chase. ;) Heather was in the 2nd group.

I finished with the 3 girls that I was riding with and it was great as we worked together in an eschelon really well and we kept all the other riders off and caught some. Heather says that she was the 2nd girl, so good for her, but men and women are really separated in this series. I might have been the 3rd girl then, as might group finished after hers, but who knows and who care.

At the end of the race, Elmar, my coach, told Heather and I that we had done really well and he said, "Just wait until you start racing in women's races..." Nice. :)
What would you do differently?:

In hindsight, I should have bridged up to the lead riders when Heather did, but overall I am not too worried. I still think that I had a good race.

I probably could have pushed harder though as I thought the pace was comfortable.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode backwards around the course with Sherri, Karen and Margaret. Finished the warm down and got changed just in time to see the As finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Last updated: 2006-03-12 12:00 AM
Biking
01:20:00 | 47 kms | 35.25 km/hr
Age Group: 0/N/A
Overall: 0/50?
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was a bit odd in shape. It started on 6th Ave, then the road curved left after not very long, then a sharp left turn and a right again right away, through a neighbourhood, then another right turn. Then a left, through another neighbourhood, then a right onto 12th Ave for a very deceiving false flat (man that was tough), then a right on 240th Street. Stayed on 240 street for a while with 3 rolling hills, the second one being the worst. They weren't too bad though because you could carry a lot of speed downhill, then a right on Zero ave for a bit, then a right on 232nd street, and soon after, a right on 6th ave, past the start finish line again. It was very windy out. All the way from turning off Zero Ave, onto 232, to turning off 12th Ave onto 240th St was a brutal headwind. So the headwind up a long grider of a hill was tough. You never really got to feel a tailwind either. 6 laps of this course. I have no idea how many people were racing in the Cs. Last week it was about 100 and there were less people today, so I guessed 50, but it might have been more. Maybe 60 or 65. I have no idea.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-12 11:32 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 2 Zero Ave/23
2nd race of the series and my 2nd race ever. Here's the review from the Escape Velocity page (http://www.escapevelocity.bc.ca/)

great turnout for Zero Ave.
With Paris-Nice type conditions on Saturday, riders raced past snow-covered farm fields in brilliant sunshine to complete the second race of the Devo Spring Series. Another strong turnout meant competitive fields in all three groups.

Results are now posted on the website. On tap for Sunday: The Armstrong Rd. course, consisting of an unforgiving stepped climb that takes riders up the escarpment from the Fraser River.

Race #2: Aldergrove Zero Avenue Road Race - March 11, 2006

Today's races happened under clear skies but with persistent wind on the course. The deceptively selective course drove the riders to their limits.
The A group saw a group of three escape from the bunch, and they stayed away until the end, when Rocky's Kevin Calhoun got away from the break to take the win. John Tolkamp of Escape and Jeff Sherstobitoff of Symmetrics cruised to second and third, respectively, and Murray Solem of Blak Dog won the bunch sprint over Nick Rowe, Espoir Laval.

The B pack was a spirited gang, and although the wind and a fast pack minimized the number of breaks, Jeff Ain (Escape Velocity) got away with a lap and a half to go, and never looked back. The heavily contested sprint was taken by Eric Smith of Bow Cycles, with Coastal teammates Anselmo Rossiello and Ron Klopfer picking up third and fourth.

The same wind that kept the B group together shattered the C's, and a lead group of less than ten sprinted for the win. Frank Schimunek won it, with Paul Falcon of Coastal in second. Dave Richardson, Peter Curtain, and Brook Glanville rounded out the top five.

Edited by jeng 2006-03-12 11:37 AM

2006-03-12 1:59 PM
in reply to: #367541

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 2 Zero Ave/23
Yeah, you had a great race.
There sure is a lot of detail in there.
Your speed sure is up there.
Keep up the good racing!
2006-03-12 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Congrats on another great showing!
2006-03-12 7:03 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
You are such a studette! My cycling goddess! Great race way to stick to it, I probably would have gone back to bed.
2006-03-12 7:36 PM

User image

Regular
Squamish,BC

Nice race Jen! Love it when u pass the guys.

2006-03-12 10:01 PM

User image

Fantastic race, Jen! 2 down.. lots more to go

2006-03-13 5:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-03-13 8:51 PM

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Two races in less than a week.  Way to go.  When is your final race?  Isn't the series a 3 race series?
2006-03-14 11:09 AM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey thanks guys. This series started on March 5th and runs until April 5th. There are races both days on the weekends for a total of 9 races. I am aiming to race once each weekend and the last weekend, I am going to race in the 2 day, 3 stage race (RR, crit & TT).

That's the plan anyways so expect a lot more race reports from me.

Jen
2006-03-15 10:30 AM
in reply to: #369190

2006-03-15 10:47 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 2 Zero Ave/23 Rss Feed