Aiken Running Club
83F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early- had to shower and shave my legs. Ate 1/2 whole whaet begel with all natural peanut butter. Got ready and left to meet the other TNT'ers. Meet them in the parking lot of our favorite breakfast place and we carpooled over to the race site. Picked up my packet, went the bathroom, and then just sat around. About 15 minutes before the start, I was starving. I ate my Snickers Marathon Bar and drank some Gatorade. Hopped in the crowd at the start line.
Event warmup:

Didn't warm up- just sat around for a good hour or so and chatted.
Run
  • 1h 33m
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran with 2 other girls from TNT. None of us were really "feeling" the race, so we didn't know what to expect or how we would feel. We pretty much just ran by feel. My goal was running a 9:20 pace if I could hold it but if I was having a bad day I planned to back off. I hadn't really trained specifically for this so I didn't feel ready and was using it as my long run for the week. We started our first mile a little too fast- 8:52. We slowed it down a bit. I felt great. Around mile 4 we slowed down because of the terrain- we were running through uneven dirt- it was annoying but luckily it only lasted a mile. Once we got back to the pavement, I picked up the pace substaintally. I was feeling good and wanted to make up some time. That was right before mile 5. They had an aid station at mile 6 with Gatorade that I despreatly needed. After mile 5 I was feeling light headed a little bit- I needed a gel. I took my gel at mile 6 but I felt like I had never taken one. By mile 7 I was feeling awful- not sure why. I started eating my energy beans and they really helped. By mile 8 I was feeling better. The last mile we picked up our pace and ran our fastset mile- 8:46 min/mile. I sped up to the finish and felt fine afterwards. I was sore, didn't feel like I was going to puke. It was a great race.
What would you do differently?:

Taken my gel sooner instead of waitinig until mile 6. I think that's why I felt bad at mile 7. I wish I would have ran with my own hand held sports bottle- it was warm and I needed water more often than the aid stations. And only one aid station had Gatorade at that was only at mile 6.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for others to finish. Ate breakfast- had coffee and cheese grits at our favorite breakfast place. Went to the pool and swam 1,000 yard time trial.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing- I actually felt and ran better than I was expecting- I was very happy. I wasn't sore and felt fine afterwards- does that mean I should have run it faster and pushed myself more??? I ran this race back in 2003- it was my first race I ever trainer for. At that time it was awful experience and I swore I'd never run a race agian after it. My pace 3 yers ago was 9:50. I was glad to see that I've made progress over the years.

Event comments:

It's a flat and fast course. I wish they would have had music before and after the race. It's a small race but a decent race- I recommend it.

Last updated: 2006-03-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:00 | 10 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Here are my splits: 1 mile= 8:54 2 miles= 9:05 3 miles= 9:27 4 miles= 9:39 5 miles= 9:19 6 miles= 9:22 7 miles= 9:41 8 miles= 9:20 9 miles= 9:29 10 miles= 8:46
Course: The course was very nice- it was flat. Most of the race was through nieghborhoods, and parts of it throug horse stables. It was very pretty. Around mile 4 we had to run through dirt by the stables- it was very hard packed and uneven. I was worried the uneveness would hurt my knees, but they were ok.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-13 7:50 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: Triple Crown 10 MIler

2006-03-13 9:50 AM
in reply to: #368062

Champion
Subject: RE: Triple Crown 10 MIler

Everyone is getting faster, or I'm just getting older.  Nice race, I think I woulda been puking at that pace (maybe).

2006-03-13 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Good job on finishing the race!
2006-03-13 10:13 AM

Master
Boston

Hi Janelle-

Sorry to hear your nutrition didn't go as well as planned...but now you know for your next race! Did you feel more aerodynamic with your shaved head? Anyways, your splits looked really good, especially the last mile...you were smokin'! Glad you had a fun time at the race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triple Crown 10 MIler Rss Feed