General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Old cyclist, new clipless pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-14 10:15 AM

Whiteville, NC
Subject: Old cyclist, new clipless pedals
As a newbie at 55, although I'm comfortable with my training in the (slow) swimming and walk-run, my bike with its new clipless pedals has stayed on the trainer. Until yesterday when I realized the fear of falling wasn't getting any better. So after falling 3 times in my yard and only once on the road, I want to be certain I'm not developing any bad habits. And not having to post on the health issues site

When I slow down, I'm clipping out of the right pedal so I can put that foot down when I stop. Someone told me to keep the other (left) foot at the top so that I could start back better. Thus the fall today. I'm more comfortable with it in the low position. Today I did manage to slow down to make u-turns, without falling. Frankly, I'm not even sure how to change gears--there are 21 I guess. Do I brake evenly using both brakes, which makes sense, but I'm really ignorant. This is a different kind of cycling than I did 30 years ago, and I see very few riders in my community to ask. Should I just buy a book?

I'm riding a Trek Multitrack 7100--new because I've had it sitting around for a few years. Thanks to BT, I'm going to succeed in my first sprint tri on July 29th--when I've gotten this cycling skill a little more developed! Thanks for your help!

2006-03-14 10:34 AM
in reply to: #369127

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Old cyclist, new clipless pedals

Comfort comes with familiarity, and familiarity comes with practice.

When stopping, if you leave one foot clipped in it is probably marginally better to have the other foot near the top, but it's not going to break you one way or another. It helps getting started, to be able to just push down with the clipped-in foot, then clip in the other after you're under way.

Re: changing gears-again, practice as you ride, move the shifter one position at a time to see where the derailleur puts the chain. Concentrate on shifting the rear derailleur as that is where you will do most of your shifting. Assuming you have a triple chainring (three big cogs in the front attached to the pedals), leave the chain on the middle chainring as you shift the rear gears. You should be able to hit all the rear gears, just stay off the extremes (biggest and smallest cogs). As you get more comfortable, shifting the rear gears will become intuitive.

More than anything else, RIDE LOTS! and you wi;ll quickly become cofortable, even fast.

2006-03-14 10:39 AM
in reply to: #369143

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Sometimes it's nice to start out on a trainer that you attach your bike to if you have one available. That way you can go through all of the gears and clip in/out without worrying about falling over or steering.

Of course, if the weather is nice, who wants to ride indoors?
2006-03-14 11:33 AM

Whiteville, NC
Thanks for the help. I've been practicing on my trainer but it looks like it's time to practice keeping my clipped-in foot up, which I'll do in the yard! I've checked out the gears and will practice that, too. I was already more comfortable on the street today and it's beautiful weather. I'm beginning to see why people love cycling!

2006-03-14 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
The clipping business is all psychological imo, the fear of having your feet "locked" does a number on you. You get past that pretty quick as you start riding, there is no one magic trick. One thing I did in the beginning was clip in and out while riding, just to know that I could get out and back in at will and with ease. After a while I forgot about it...of course, that is when you are at greatest risk of taking a smack ;-)
2006-03-14 11:56 AM

User image

Elite

You could go out to ride with pillows tied to your shoulders and hips to cushion the landings.  Just joking.

I am a geezer and just started with clipless pedals a few months ago.  I started out just riding around the neighborhood, clipping out and putting a foot down at every corner just to maximize the practice.  When I am approaching an intersection, I clip out but hold my foot in place on the pedal to clip back in if I don't need to stop.  I also work on clipping out and then back without looking down in while riding along to master feeling the position of the pedal rather than looking down.  I am not crazy about clipless pedals but I can do them.

At my age, I am more worried about going down than I used to be, but I tipped over once this week.  No harm done. 

TW

2006-03-14 12:15 PM
in reply to: #369236

Elite
Laurium, MI

I personally don't see the point in keeping your cliped in foot up.  I mean, how can you?  When I come to a stop, I unclip my right, stand up on my left pedal, so I'm out of the saddle, and step down when I stop moving.  It is physcially impossible to still have my left foot high.  If I'm slowing down like this and suddenly need to start going, it takes a whole half second to step on the pedal with my right foot and go.

Now, after I stop and am sitting there, I raise my left foot up to a ready position, so when I go to take off I just push the pedal down, lift my right foot and go.

How do you stop with your left foot still tall?  Are you trying to put your right foot down while still in the saddle?  That has awkwardness written all over it.

As for braking, braking is a fine art that you learn with time.  Idealy you want to be heavier on your front brake then the rear.  As you slow down, you have a weight transfer from back to front. So while slowing down, there is more force sticking the front wheel to the ground.  So the faster you stop, the more traction your front has and less your back has.

If you grab a fist full of front brake, that tire is more likley to stick and slow you down.  If you are used to fast braking, then you can shift your weight backwards to keep from going over the bars.

Now if you grab a ton of rear brake instead, you will lock the tire and skid.  If you are going downhill and 40 mph and have to panic stop, a skid can be lethal.  So you could do all your braking with the front and just use the rear to help it along. 

We used to train for crits by riding the top two levels of a parking garage at night.  That taught me everything I needed to know about braking and cornering.

this might help:
http://home.swbell.net/mpion/startstop_movsmall.html

that's how I do it verbatum except I usually come out of the saddle and coast before stopping.  I also wait at lights with the clipped in pedal up and the brakes on to keep me still.

these are also worth a read:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/descending.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Edited by vortmax 2006-03-14 12:27 PM
2006-03-14 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
If you leave one foot clipped in, leave it at the bottom of the pedal stroke while you are stopping. It is most stable there. Once you have safely planted your free foot on terra firma, back the clipped-in foot up to between 10-11 (1-2) O'clock where you are near the start of a down stroke. 9 (3) O'clock leaves you with just a dainty little push which may not provide enough momentum/stability to get the other foot re-clipped. 12 O'clock puts you right at the top (greatest power stroke potential) but leaves you prone to pedaling backwards and/or "hopping" since you have poor leverage to get back into riding position.

2006-03-14 12:38 PM

Whiteville, NC
Tipping over is fine, over the bars is not! Thank goodness for helmets. Thanks to all of you for this help! Now I can practice clipping in and out w/o looking as well as getting the hang of braking. It felt so uncomfortable with my clipped-in foot up that I couldn't imagine that being best for me. I also can't imagine going 40 mph, but who knows? I've come this far
2006-03-14 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

I generally leave my clipped foot low, and back around to be ready to start.  I would not want to try it another way. 

I have ridden with clipless pedals for 10 years now.  I just bought a new pair for my tandem, since I didn't want to crash my little girl the first year we rode that.  But I am sure I will do fine now. 

The only time I have fallen over in the past 2 years, once when I was on my road bike going up a wet grassey area were the bike path was not.  (It was pretty comical) and once when I thought I could go and changed my mind at the last second.  That was NOT comical.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Old cyclist, new clipless pedals Rss Feed