General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2 - CycleTime Trial

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
American Cycling Association
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 58m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Cat. 4
Age Group Rank = 22/52
Pre-race routine:

Race home, get everything, get to CC as fast as possible.
Event warmup:

Got to CC, talked to Ben and Ryan, got on the trainer for about 25 minutes. Got off during the warm up to stretch a little, and listened to some music. Made a last minute dash for the bathroom before the race. I need to get to CC earlier, and do a much more thorough stretch and warm up. My warm up tonight sucked.
Bike
  • 26m 11s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 24.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Considerably slower than last time, dropped about 40 seconds total. On the one hand, I'm obviously disappointed. On the other, I had a 16 hour training week last week that included a 5300 meter swim, a century, and what for me are some fairly long runs. Not making excuses, just recognizing the reality that fatigue takes it toll, so I'm not going to beat myself up too badly about this one poor showing. On the plus side, my course management was much better this week from the perspective of cornering and pedaling consistently.
What would you do differently?:

Probably just go all out from the bell. I overthought this race tonight. I had myself convinced that I needed to go out easier, moderate the pace a little more throughout, and turn in a more consistent performance that would mean a fast time. Well I've tried that now, and it turns out that theory is bullshit. I think you just ride this thing as hard as you can, start to finish, and you don't let anything slow you down except your body flat out refusing to go any faster. I guess short hard efforts just have to be that way, all or nothing, and there's just no point in analyzing or thinking about it beyond that.

Oh, and I would not go around the cop car at the top of the hill. Probably only cost me a few seconds, but I got off course cresting the hill to go down the back side.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran off the bike for a little brick. Felt bad when I got off the bike, and really, really did not want to run, but I put in some time just to complete the brick. Stretched after that, ate a Clif Bar, and drank some Endurox.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My head. I just got in my own way tonight.

Last updated: 2006-03-12 12:00 AM
Biking
00:26:11 | 10.5 miles | 24.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Average HR for the whole ride was 174. Average for the last 10 minutes was 178. Max during the ride was 181. Basically, identical to the last race.
Wind: None
Course: Same. Mostly flat, one hill in the middle, rollers otherwise.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-19 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2

2006-04-20 10:01 AM
in reply to: #400986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2
Hey nice race man. All that training is bound to zapp some strength from your wheels.
2006-04-20 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Look at it this way - now ya know. If it worked, it would've been a great strategy for the rest of the series, but since it didn't, it's only one race and like Stacie pointed out last week, they only take 6 of your 7. I expect you'll make up for it next Wed. after a decent rest week this week (your 5k not withstanding).
2006-04-20 1:38 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Dude, 24 mph is pretty damn fast!  Nice work! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2 Rss Feed