General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2 - CycleTime Trial

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
American Cycling Association
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Cat 4 women
Age Group Rank = 9/25
Pre-race routine:

I made sure I left my house to give me plenty of time to fight the inevitable rush hour CRAP traffic to get to the reservoir. It was nice not to be totally freaked and stressed out like I was last week from being so late.
Event warmup:

Set up the trainer and warmed up for about 45 minutes. I was able to just calmly warm up and get myself physically and mentally ready to race. Listened to my MP3 player and talked to Ben and Ocky. I wasn't nearly as nervous as last week. I think once you experience the pain of the time trial, your brain knows what to expect, so it's just not as bad as the first time. :) Stopped by the ladies room on the way to the start line - one problem with skinsuits is the need to completely disrobe in order to use the facilities. What a pain. Then you have to try to wriggle back INTO the sweaty skinsuit and still make it to the start line on time. Quite the challenge, but I managed.
Bike
  • 28m 35s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 22.04 mile/hr
Comments:

One of my problems with last week's race is that I felt like I went out too conservatively, so I tried to go harder from the start. I tried to keep a consistent speed and when I saw my speed falling, I just got mad and yelled at myself in my head to dig deeper and go faster. I guess it worked a little bit since I beat last week's time by 35 seconds. When I was coming into the finishing straight, there were 2 racers in front of me (men) who were riding way too far to the left-basically right on the yellow line. I needed to pass them so I started screaming "left" at them and they moved over. that probably cost me a few seconds though. I hate it when people get in my way. One would think I'd feel all badass about passing 2 guys at the end of a race, but one of the guys only had one leg (and no prosthesis), so it's not like that was a big ego boost. :)

9th place again. At least I'm consistent!
What would you do differently?:

At the end, I still felt like I could have given more out on the course. I felt like that last week too. I definitely took the beginning of the course too slowly. I think I'm afraid I'm going to die at the end and unconsciously try to conserve. I need to get over that. It's only 10.5 miles!
Post race
Warm down:

Rode around for a couple of minutes, but I had to do a brick so I just went back to my car, locked my bike on the roof rack and did a 20 minute zone 1 run. The guy with one leg saw me running and said "You've gotta be kidding me! You pass me like that at the finish and now you're going for a run???" Yeah, still not an ego boost. The dude has one leg and he's racing bikes. HE's the one who should be getting the ego boost.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My stupid fear of blowing up.

Last updated: 2006-04-20 12:00 AM
Biking
00:28:35 | 10.5 miles | 22.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on the roads surrounding Cherry Creek Reservoir.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-20 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2

2006-04-20 10:53 AM
in reply to: #401385

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2
Didn't you tell me once that you can do anything for 30 minutes? Might as well got hard straight out of the gate next time. That said, dropping 35 seconds is no joke - must've been the skinsuit!! Nice job.
2006-04-20 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Nice job improving over last week...which was already damn fast! 

OK, so the comments from the amputee dude may not have been an ego boost by themselves, but you were probably one of two (maybe three) people who went for a run after kicking a$$ in the TT.  That should be an ego boost!

2006-04-20 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

I tried to keep a consistent speed and when I saw my speed falling, I just got mad and yelled at myself in my head to dig deeper and go faster.

This is the attitude I like to see!   And you did go faster! 

2006-04-20 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Nice job on the TT!  Way to kick butt my friend!    And just how is it that you are lucking out and it isn't windy on the TT days? 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT #2 Rss Feed