United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 8/50
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special. Walked the dogs, made some coffee and waffles, headed out for the race.
Event warmup:

Run easy for 15 minutes; 6x short hard pick ups with walking recoveries; 5 minute run; stretch until the race started.
Run
  • 21m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This run would have been hilarious to watch (and was, according to Yvonne). This was a very small race, about 100 runners total. So I started right at the front on the outside right hand side. Went HARD right off the start line, and actually lead the race for about 1/2 mile. Yvonne said from a distance, you could see 4 runners converging on me, clearly intent on pouncing on me before the mile marker . . . and they did. But it was okay, because when I saw my first mile split I almost laughed out loud, just knowing there was no way I could hold that pace. 2nd mile was hard, slightly uphill for the first 1/4, then up a slightly steeper hill (or at least seemed like it at the time), and then to the turn around. I was clearly recovering in mile 2, and my pace reflects that. Found some wind and felt better in mile 3, even though the pace wasn't much better. Barely had any kick to the finish, but felt okay. Overall, this was a perfect race to do an LT test and learn about pacing and my best speed. Even though these short hard efforts are already kind of getting tiresome after two TTs and then this race, I felt okay and had fun.
What would you do differently?:

Ummmm, yeah, try to pace a little. That was ridiculous.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, try not to vomit, stretch, drink water and chat with Yvonne.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing, training.

Event comments:

So, pacing is primary. Need to shoot for about a 7 minute pace in training and learn what that feels like. I'm pretty happy with that run though. Won my AG, which is sort of funny since they had no prizes for AG and there were only 10 guys in my AG anyway, but that's kind of fun. In short, a really good Sunday morning and I learned a ton today about pacing, LTHR for my run, warming up for running, course management, etc. Good day.

Last updated: 2006-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:12 | 03.11 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 8/50
Performance: Good
Pacing was horrendous: 1st mile - 6:10, Avg. HR 180; 2nd mile - 7:14, Avg. HR 184; 3rd mile - 7:06, Avg. HR 188; last .1 in :44, Avg. HR 188.
Course: Mostly flat, small hill in the first 1/4 mile of mile 2, downhill coming home.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-23 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Bellview Chiropractic 5K

2006-04-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: #404097

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Bellview Chiropractic 5K
Way to go stud!  I don't care how many people were there, you were under 7 minute mile pace for the race.  THAT IS AWESOME!  Cangrats. 
2006-04-23 3:44 PM
in reply to: #404097

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Bellview Chiropractic 5K

Nice race! You've gotta be happy with the average splits - 6:49's nothing to laugh at. And the pacing will come.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bellview Chiropractic 5K Rss Feed