Buford, Georgia
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Even though I got up in plenty of time, I misread the directions and thought I could approach the lake from the other side ... so instead of taking the easy way, I looped around the sucker. Didn't stress though in that this was a "C" race that I was going to 'sweaty jock-strap' (as Heather (HBlackmon) calls it) my old training buddy and use it as a training work-out with a dry run for St. Anthony's.

I did, however, eat the obligatory bowl of oatmeal and a banana.
Event warmup:

Ran into Brett (Rocketman) in the parking lot and we ran over to the transition area so that we could get our club team picture prior to the start of the race.

Other than that, none - not even stretching (because I am an idiot ... but that is just the beginning of the mistakes made).
Run
  • 29m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

No problems, felt like I was stuck in third gear the entire way.
What would you do differently?:

Break a sweat.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My transition layout was a cluster (insert word: _____) - not well thought out and certainly not well laid out. I simply did not think or focus at the task of setting up all of the gear in the order of necessity. I was waaaay too lax and because of that I short changed myself of a real T1 transition.

Use my brain.
Bike
  • 50m
  • 16.07 miles
  • 19.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Drank two bottles of water ... had to urinate again in T2. That said, I was thirsty the entire ride.

Threw my front derailleur twice - big bummer.

Had absolutely no nutrition plan during the bike. Remember that this is a dry-run race for St. A's. If I were really running the second run (and it was more than 2 miles), I could have ran out of gas.
Transition 2
  • 14m 31s
Comments:

Clipping out didn't go too smoothly, so I had to lock up the brakes at the dismount line. Running in Speedplay cleats is just plain weird given how high they are on the balls of your feet.

Ended up waiting a bit for my running buddy. Took the time to go to the Port-o-let, talk to the volunteers and watch the others come in off the bike leg.

Have my transition are better laid out. Racking the bike with the rear drink holders was new to me. Think through the T2 process before hand so that it is a mindless exercise as opposed to a goat-rodeo looking for things scattered about on my towel or still in my transition bag.
Run
  • 18m 48s
  • 1.87 miles
  • 10m 03s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

None

Event comments:

Great race, well organized. The USAT officials missed more than one participant running with a MP3 player/iPod on the bike + both runs (looked at the penalty chart for Brett as he was certain he would jinx it if he did it himself ... and no penalties cited for 'personal audio devices'.)

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:28 | 03 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Paced with my buddy; it was a great symbolic pace strategy - he hasn't been training, so he ran relatively slow and that kept me well below Zone 3 for the entire leg. (Except when I did a pit-stop prior to the end of the leg ... had to urinate so badly that I popped into the woods and then sprinted to catch up). This was the third mistake - not going to the bathroom prior to the start of the race. I didn't realize my second until the bike leg.
Course: Meandered through the water park along a concrete path/sidewalk and then to the main road along the peninsula. Some hills, including a relatively steep one to climb up through back into transition - including a flight of stairs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:50:00 | 16.07 miles | 19.28 mile/hr
Performance:
I tried to stay with my friend on the bike but it was impossible given the USAT motorcycles circling back and forth ... so I just started to <i>go</i> after the first mile or so. It wasn't long until I realized my second mistake - I forgot to pump-up my tired. Turns out when I did (at the TNT brick later that afternoon), my tire pressure what down to 80 psi ... ugh! Goals for the bike leg was to do my first race on my new bike (I LOVE IT), in the aero position (went great - comfortable), get used to my new Speedplay pedals (still having a difficult time clipping in), my X-lab behind the seat drink holder (lost a hex bolt and one drink holder swiveled down ... but the bottle stayed) and my aerodrink (love it). The bike leg in all felt GREAT - guess the slow run saved my legs as I was passing everyone (but bear in mind that the people on the course were not the real fast runners either).
Wind:
Course: Hilly with some hard climbs (tri-bike gearing is soooo different from my road bike) and great descents. Bunch of turns with some light traffic to contend with - got stuck behind some slow moving cars more than once.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 14:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:18:48 | 01.87 miles | 10m 03s  min/mile
Performance:
My buddy was tired and had a difficult time keeping his HR down, so we walked a couple hills. I would talk to him occassionally through the run to see if his speech was labored and if I should slow the pace a little (a time of two we did.)
Course: Same as the previous route (waterpark, main road - but shorter).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-24 10:48 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Lake Lanier Duathalon

2006-04-24 10:52 PM
in reply to: #405494

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Lake Lanier Duathalon
Those USAT officials evidently missed a few penalties, that being said there were only two of them so I think they did a good job. I can't believe you peed twice during the run.
2006-04-25 9:15 AM
in reply to: #405497

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Lake Lanier Duathalon
Great job on keeping it under control and not overdoing it before the big race next week! Always good to have a buddy that is slower to keep you in check when you really want to blast.

Nice ride average as well!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Duathalon Rss Feed