General Discussion Race Reports! » No Sweat Aquathon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

No Sweat Aquathon - Long Course - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
No Sweat Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at six, checked my transition bag and made myself some breakfast: whole wheat toast with pb and 1/2 banana. Drank 20 oz water on the drive to McKinney.
Started following a car with a USAT sticker on the window once i got close to the race site. ends up, neither of us knew where we were going. i ended up chatting with the guy on the walk over, he was doing the mile swim only. He said a lot of swimming age groupers were also coming to this race. i anticipate lots of 14 year old girls kicking my ass. as you will see, this does in fact come true.
Set up my transition, got body marked, and remarked correctly (gotta love the volunteers). Am starting to get nervous about my decision to not wear a wewtsuit, as the temp is announced at 72 degrees. Met zia_cyclist, couldn't miss those snazzy new BT suits.
Event warmup:

Did a short warm up jog around the YMCA run path. Weather is perfect, lots of clouds and hardly any breeze.
Around the end of the prerace meeting Aaron (JeepFleeb) and Haley (Comet) breeze into transition just under the wire:)
Swim
  • 29m
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really have no idea on the time here. Like a dummy, I forgot my watch, and the race didn't give me my splits. I think i swam wayyyy more than 1500, since i had quite a bit of trouble managing to swim from buoy to buoy. i havent had as many problems sighting before, i think i struggled with not having anyone to follow. there was no pack. i was swimming alone for 90% of the swim. and the buoys were reallllly far apart. I had to stop a few times to get my bearings, which really slowed me down.
I was the lone straggler waiting to jump from the pier, since i did not want to jump into the cold water and tread until the last possible moment. i was talkinig to Merry, the RD and she said there is a 50 lb carp that chills under the pier and will approach swimmers treading pre-start. comforting. so i jumped in 25 seconds before the start, and it was NOT COLD. AT ALL. i think it was closer to 79. really.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to sight better when swimming alone.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

this was probably crazy slow. short run from the carpet to transition. Managed to put on my shorts, shoes and race belt while drinking 6-8 oz of orange gatorade. felt a little dizzy. Slight wardrobe malfunction immediately after transition, when i had to stop and retie my laces.

learn that whole shoe tying thing. is it bunny ears around the tree twice, or once?

or, get some speed laces.
Run
  • 1h 08m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm guessing on the time here, too.

Started off really slow. Just couldn't find my rhythm. Had that tense upper body feeling. Felt better after eating half a vanilla gu and some water. i ran into (more like: davidb, zia_cyclist and apw0397 zoomed past me) several BTers on the course. that's so cool!
There weren't too many people doing the long course so i was running by myself for a lot of the race (like the swim). i felt like i was keeping a good pace, but i probably could have pushed it harder, esp if i had some people to 'chase' :)
Rounded the first lap and Aaron and Haley were there, cheering everyone on (they did the short course). The second lap was faster, i think (I will NOT forget my watch next time) and i finished feeling strong. I could have definitely done this faster. oh well, this is basically just a training/learning race.

Run more outside so i can gauge my speed better.

I am absolutely determined to get faster. i am hitting the track workouts and working on my speed right away.
Post race
Warm down:

Just stretching and chillin out with Aaron, Haley, davidb, apw3097 and zia_cyclist. initially i thought the race went ok, but i know i could have done better, which is frustrating. though, i did have a great time racing in McKinney and hanging out with BTers.

Haley's cracking me up trying to make me do a race at 1:00. I don't think so :) for reasons that will remain secret :)

Last updated: 2006-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:00 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: TYR practice suit
Course: two loops around a rectangular course. low visibility. water tastes like crap.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time:  05:00
Overall: Below average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
01:08:00 | 06.21 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Two laps around a concrete path. Mildly hilly and shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-29 6:27 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Subject: No Sweat Aquathon - Long Course

2006-04-30 10:05 AM
in reply to: #410085

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: No Sweat Aquathon - Long Course

Where is the rest of your report?

Great job!!

2006-04-30 11:19 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
I can't see anyone to follow on the swim either... because I'm usually swimming the wrong direction! GREAT job! You are so fast you can afford a little detour and rest stop here and there. Well done!
2006-04-30 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
you're report is broken! great race!
2006-04-30 5:33 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Great race Emily. Good to meet you.
2006-04-30 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
for reasons that will remain secret

nah, we all know you're a psycho murderer.

2006-04-30 9:57 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

It was great meeting you Emily!

Definitely get some speed laces or Yankz!  Do you really think any of the rest of us can remember which way the rabbit goes in T2?  No -- we're too busy trying to remember to actually take our helmet off, or which shoe goes on which foot, or where we put that blasted race number.  Hence we take the whole "make two loops..." problem out of the equation with the nifty elastic laces.  If nothing else, a pair of lace locks for your regular laces.

2006-04-30 10:56 PM
in reply to: #410493

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
turqy - 2006-04-30 6:05 PM

for reasons that will remain secret

nah, we all know you're a psycho murderer.

i humbly apologize. haley set me straight on the truth of the matter.

i'm a little pissed that i didn't know about the big nekkid race
2006-05-01 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Emily,

It was really nice to meet you.  You had a fast swim.  This was a good warm up for Cap Tex.  Hope to see you there.

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » No Sweat Aquathon - Long Course Rss Feed