General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Confused about "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-29 12:34 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Confused about "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead"

My sister just came to visit me for Thanksgiving and she told me that she has been just drinking veggie juice for the last few weeks. (Based on "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead") The man in the video lost about 100 lb just by drinking fresh veggie juice. She has lost about 13 lbs (not that she needs to.) She wants me to give it a try since my weight has been creeping back up. I could stand to loss about 100lb my self. I just don't know if it is a good idea or not. What should I be concrened with? Or is this OK?

I am not traing for any races this year due to injuries. So, I am not too concerned for race performance. Since I have been sitting on my butt for the last few months, I thought it might be a good thing.  My biggest concern is there is very little protein in these juice drinks.  I just don't know what to think about it.  It sounds great on paper, but if it works so well, then why dont we here more about it?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2011-11-29 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3919088

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
Subject: RE: Confused about "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead"
Juicing is great for you and you could definitely incorporate this into your diet. I would still take in some protein though. I'm not sure juice alone is going to get it. You need a rounded diet that gives you a good balance of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.  It sounds like you do need to work on losing some of the weight.  Good luck!
2011-11-29 8:31 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
BigRun - 2011-11-29 1:34 PM

My sister just came to visit me for Thanksgiving and she told me that she has been just drinking veggie juice for the last few weeks. (Based on "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead") The man in the video lost about 100 lb just by drinking fresh veggie juice. She has lost about 13 lbs (not that she needs to.) She wants me to give it a try since my weight has been creeping back up. I could stand to loss about 100lb my self. I just don't know if it is a good idea or not. What should I be concrened with? Or is this OK?

I am not traing for any races this year due to injuries. So, I am not too concerned for race performance. Since I have been sitting on my butt for the last few months, I thought it might be a good thing.  My biggest concern is there is very little protein in these juice drinks.  I just don't know what to think about it.  It sounds great on paper, but if it works so well, then why dont we here more about it?

Thanks!

The reason that it works is no mystery.......it is simply a matter of limiting the calories that causes the weight loss. Obviously veggie juice does not have many calories, so you lose weight.

You could have the same results by eating only carrots, or grapefruits or whatever.

But long term?

Bad plan. For several reasons. You are missing protein, fat, and carbs from your diet. Obviously this will affect your health eventually.

This is really no more than a crash diet.

And the REAL reason that this is such a bad plan, is that it does absolutely nothing to teach you about how to eat in a healthy manner so that you can keep the weight off. What happens when you quit drinking the juice and start eating real food again??

Forget the gimmicks. 

Eat real food: mostly veggies, a bit of meat or fish, some fruit, some whole grains. Swear off soda forever. And totally eliminate all processed food from your diet.  Eat squeaky clean. And then get some exercise. Simple.

THAT is how you lose weight and keep it off forever. 

Now don't get me wrong, I am not at all opposed to juicing. I juice every day as a matter of fact, but it should be used as an adjunct to a healthy diet, not as a replacement .

OK I am gonna get off my soap box now. Sorry........

Best of luck to you!!  

2011-11-29 8:42 PM

User image

Elite
^Aqua Girl, don't get off that soapbox!  You speak the truth, go on girl!
2011-11-30 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

Losing weight is either really simple or really complex depending on the perspective.

From the pure science perspective, it is easy.

Calories In << Calories burned.

From a behavioral or implementation perspective, not so easy for most.

2011-11-30 11:34 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Beautifully said, Aquagirl.

Of course people lose weight on juicing, detoxing, etc... it's because they severely limit their calorie intake - to the point of essentially starving themselves. To me it's just not worth feeling like poo-poo though. Ask anyone who has been on one of these and they will readily tell you they have no energy, are lethargic, moody, sleepy, headache-y, etc. No thanks.

There are much healthier and sustainable ways to cut calories and pounds. 

2011-11-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3919762

User image

Regular
aquagirl - 2011-11-29 8:31 PM
BigRun - 2011-11-29 1:34 PM

Thanks!

The reason that it works is no mystery.......it is simply a matter of limiting the calories that causes the weight loss. Obviously veggie juice does not have many calories, so you lose weight.

You could have the same results by eating only carrots, or grapefruits or whatever.

But long term?

Bad plan. For several reasons. You are missing protein, fat, and carbs from your diet. Obviously this will affect your health eventually.

This is really no more than a crash diet.

And the REAL reason that this is such a bad plan, is that it does absolutely nothing to teach you about how to eat in a healthy manner so that you can keep the weight off. What happens when you quit drinking the juice and start eating real food again??

Forget the gimmicks. 

Eat real food: mostly veggies, a bit of meat or fish, some fruit, some whole grains. Swear off soda forever. And totally eliminate all processed food from your diet.  Eat squeaky clean. And then get some exercise. Simple.

THAT is how you lose weight and keep it off forever. 

Now don't get me wrong, I am not at all opposed to juicing. I juice every day as a matter of fact, but it should be used as an adjunct to a healthy diet, not as a replacement .

OK I am gonna get off my soap box now. Sorry........

Best of luck to you!!  

Thank you for the reply.  I guess I was looking as this as a "kick in the pants", so no worries about long term. I was very used to eating right be for I was benched. I even gave up all soda Reg and Diet for over 2 years. When I got benched, I got depressed and went back to bad habits just to make myself feel better. Now with the extra weight I feel worst then when I was benched.  I am turning the corner, but I feel I need a good push to commit to it.  I am not that big on racing anymore. It's just not my thing. I enjoy the training and life style parts very much. I just dont feel the need to compete any more.  

Anyway, my plan was to juice for 2 weeks, then just do it in the morning or for lunch until I feel like I am at right weight again.  I am also trying to give up sugar and the video claims that by juicing you will can loose the craving for sugar altogether in a few weeks. ("This is due to the vegetables.") So I guess this is also a question about how to loose cravings. Are there health risks to this plan? Is it something you think will help me or is it just a big waste of time? The last time I lost weight it was strictly eating right and working out. I lost about 2 lbs a week for 13 mo. and I never lost the craving for sugar. I would allow myself one sweet snack a week. Which was nice at the time, but then I had regrets later.

Any thoughts?

2011-12-01 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3920656

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

BigRun - 2011-11-30 1:04 PM

The last time I lost weight it was strictly eating right and working out. I lost about 2 lbs a week for 13 mo. and I never lost the craving for sugar. I would allow myself one sweet snack a week.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with this plan.  It is far better than juicing.  And you should not feel regret about a weekly 'sweet' snack.  If you are losing 2lbs/wk for 13 months while exercising, you should feel very good about yourself.

2011-12-05 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3922302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Juicing makes the food more easy to absorb the calories into the body. If you are whole, raw food, the body has to USE energy to digest it before it can be absorbed into the body.. Plus with juicing you lose vitamins, minerals and fiber
2011-12-06 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3926682

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

synthetic - 2011-12-05 11:53 AM Juicing makes the food more easy to absorb the calories into the body. If you are whole, raw food, the body has to USE energy to digest it before it can be absorbed into the body.. Plus with juicing you lose vitamins, minerals and fiber

Are you referring to vitamin loss through oxidization?

A good quality masticating or "slow" juicer will negate this.

Edited by aquagirl 2011-12-06 5:33 PM
2011-12-09 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3920656

User image

San Tan Valley, Arizona
From my understanding if you consume only juice from fruits, the sugar content is not good for your health. Your sugar intake will be way higher than just eating the fruit because of the lack of the fibrous tissue that makes you feel full. I understand that you said that you would be consuming mostly vegetables, but a healthy diet that included whole fruits and vegetables with grains and legumes would be your best bet to 1. feel better 2. have more energy and 3. to live a healthier lifestyle. The hardest part of changing eating habits is the first couple of weeks and the temptations, but you will find that if you stick to a balanced diet, the junk will no longer be appealing. Best of luck to you in this endeavor.

2011-12-14 9:54 AM

User image

Master

Using it as a crash diet start may help. If it gets you motivated and wanting healthy style eating, then why not.

However, you do need to pay attention to how it makes you feel. If you get dizzy, sick, tired, etc, it may be time to move on to something else.

As for the sugar craving, I think that just going without processed sugar for a week or two will eliminate most of those cravings.

Good luck!

2012-02-23 4:06 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
A friend of mine is on a juicing diet and has lost 10# in 7 days.  He's also bouncing off the walls with energy and says he's never hungry.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Confused about "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" Rss Feed