General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Juicing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-06 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Subject: Juicing

Does anyone here do any vegetable juicing?  I am very interested in starting; but have no experience with it.  I have been using supplements as I do not eat enough vegetables and was thinking this would be a way to consume more.  Also, what kind of juicer do you own and / or would you own if you were to buy another?  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2011-12-06 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3928401

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Juicing

Ah........juicing is a subject that I researched to death !

There are three different types of juicers on the market.

The most common one is the centrifugal juicer. This has fast spinning blades and works by chopping up the fruits and veggies into tiny pieces and then spitting them out through a screen, thus producing the juice. 

These juicers are relatively inexpensive.

Centrifugal juicers are NOISY as heck. So keep this in mind. If you juice when anyone is sleeping.....well that is a problem.

They are also notoriously difficult to clean. This is important because if a juicer is not convenient to use, it will sit unused. See Sharyn's comment above! Hers is an example of a centrifugal juicer. Other names that spring to mind are Breville, or Jack Lalanne.

For the best health benefits, you should juice daily, and if the machine is a PITA to clean then you will not want to use it. Period.

Another issue with this type of juicer is it's inability to properly juice leafy green veggies. It goes without saying that this is exactly what you SHOULD be juicing. 

Yet another issue with centrifugal juicers is one of oxidization. Because of the speed of the blades, there is some oxidization that occurs, and this can decrease the nutritional quality of the juice.

The most obscure type of juicer is called a twin gear. These are mucho expensive and quite large and heavy. They do produce an excellent quality of juice, and excel at juicing leafy greens, but they are also really hard to clean.

The best juicer? IMHO? The masticating or "auger" style of juicer.

This is also called a slow juicer. The way it works is to sloooooowly and gently squeeze out the juice by using a big screw type of gear. Because it is slow ( and slow is a relative term, this does not mean that it takes a long time to make your juice), there is no oxidization that occurs , and you also get as much juice as possible out of the produce. The pulp coming out will be as dry as hay.( In contrast, with a centrifugal juicer, the pulp will be quite wet. Some people actually rejuice the pulp. Messy and time consuming)

This type of juicer can handle all types of veggies including leafy greesn.

It is whisper quiet. Just makes a gentle hum.

But the BEST part??  Super easy to clean. 

They are mid priced but well worth every penny.

No....I do not work for a juicer company. Like i said I researched this to death, so you do not have to!

The best rated slow juicers on the market right now are the Omega Vert and the Hurom Slow juicer

They are both around the same price. 

I bought the Hurom , because that is what my local shop was selling. It works beautifully but the Omega (which is made in the same factory) has a 10 year warranty vs a 1 year warranty.

If I had it to do over again I would get an Omega for this reason alone.

There. That enough info for ya???

Sorry....I did not mean to write a juicing text book.

Edited by aquagirl 2011-12-06 5:15 PM
2011-12-06 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Thanks Helen and Sharon, both very helpful comments.
2011-12-09 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
I juice 2/3 times a week with carrots, apples, oranges. Also tried beets, celeri, lemons, etc. I own a OMEGA Vert 350 and I love it. It's so easy to clean and makes the best juice!
2012-05-18 8:26 PM

User image

Queen BTich

My Omega VRT350 just arrived today and I just made my first juice of: kale, red chard, celery, cucumber, carrot, apple, lemon & ginger...FABULOUS....

Can I be in love after just one time?! 

2012-05-21 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4217679

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Comet - 2012-05-18 9:26 PM

My Omega VRT350 just arrived today and I just made my first juice of: kale, red chard, celery, cucumber, carrot, apple, lemon & ginger...FABULOUS....

Can I be in love after just one time?! 

Too funny. Marmamommy brought home a juicer last night and made this very thing. It was really good.

2012-05-23 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I dont juice but a nutritionist friend of mine just recently introduced me to "Juice Plus" which are daily pills that have a concentrated amount of fruits and vegetables in them that you take 2x daily. I am still looking into it but I have talked to 2 different nutritionists since and they both advised they have heard good things about the pills so I might buy some.
2012-05-30 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

I also have an Omega Vrt 350, the auger-style "slow" juicer.  It is much better at extracting juice than the high speed; I had picked up a cheap unit that was a high speed unit; agree with Helen; hard to clean, it slightly warms the juice (oxidation) and doesn't produce nearly as much liquid.  The pulp is a wet goop.

I've used the Omega to make mostly "mean green" juice, a recipe from the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.".  Basically Kale, Apple, Cucumber, Ginger, Lemon, and celery.  The pulp from the Omega unit isn't quite hay, but isn't far from it.  MUCH less moisture than a high speed unit.  It is also pretty easy to clean.  The auger-screen-business section comes off the base with a flick of the wrist, you can then take that apart and rinse it all off pretty easily.  The strainer section, where the ground up matter is pushed through to extract the liquid, is a little hard to clean.  I've noticed some holes don't seem to get completely cleaned out.  Clean up takes less than 5 minutes.

One thing to consider is how big the opening is.  Some units you can drop the whole vegetable in, others (like the Omega VRT) you have to slice some stuff up.  So this adds time to the process.  Just something to consider.

These types of juicers remove the liquid, and the pulp has all the fiber.  So you're getting the vitamins and nutrients, without the fiber.  The problem here is that it doesn't leave you feeling too full.  So as a replacement for a meal, this doesn't work for me.  I guess you could mix in some of the pulp if you like your juice thicker.  Some people have made veggie cookies, by mixing in some seasonings, packing the pulp into pucks, and running them through a food dehydrator.

So I've been using it on and off; you can go through a lot of produce over a few days, so that can result in a lot of trips to the market.  I can make about three days worth of juice in one shot.

There is some fine print on the Omega machine; don't run for more than 30 minutes continuously.  I've done that, and it does get a bit warm.

The other type of machine is a blender-style; Vita Mix is one of the better known models.  They literally blend the whole thing, so you get all the fiber as well.  I've heard a lot of recipes involve distilled water, so you aren't drinking something like oatmeal.

To me, the taste is OK.  I haven't done it consistently enough to notice any real changes in my health. 

2012-06-01 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4235950

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
tcj103 - 2012-05-30 4:33 PM

I also have an Omega Vrt 350 J8006, the auger-style "slow" juicer...

Forgot the model; it's the J8006

2012-06-26 11:53 AM

New user

The benefits of getting your nutrients from actual fruits/veggies/real foods are huge. If you want incentive to change your eating habits, check out this Ted Talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

(FYI Ted Talks are awesome short lectures intended to blow your mind)

2012-06-27 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4281123

User image

Queen BTich
emalcon - 2012-06-26 12:53 PM

The benefits of getting your nutrients from actual fruits/veggies/real foods are huge. If you want incentive to change your eating habits, check out this Ted Talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

(FYI Ted Talks are awesome short lectures intended to blow your mind)

Ahh, yes. That is an excellent TedTalk!

2012-09-03 10:12 AM

Are fruit/veggie drinks purchased from supermarket just as good as juicing or close to it?

I drink a lot of the Bolthouse Farms / Naked Juice drinks.... mango, green goodness, berry, carrot etc....I've lost 10 pounds in 2 months doing this and getting very close to ideal racing weight.

32oz bottle for $3.24 at walmart seems to be cheaper than purchasing some fruits and veggies to process on my own too.  For example the mango drink claims to have almost 5-6 full mango's (which cost at least $1.00 each) in it along with other fruits... 

2012-09-04 12:43 AM
in reply to: #4392974

User image

I have a Cuisinart Juicer, and love it. It's a five speed juicer, and is relatively quiet (much quieter than my blender or food processor). It is a centrifugal type juicer, and takes 10-20 minutes to clean. I do not juice everyday, I typically make enough juice for 2 or 3 days, and use some in my smoothies (beet juice and berry smoothies are great!). I also find I have more energy when I'm adding juice to my regular diet, which includes a fair amount of veggies already.

As far as the "common wisdom" with regard to types of juicers, and needing to juice every day. I'm not sure how much is fact and how much is exaggeration. I have yet to see anybody point to a credible source with regard to one type of juicer preserving more nutrients than another, or an increase in benefit from juicing everyday (as apposed to every 2 or 3). It seems like those things people repeat because everybody on the internet says it.

I say, something is better than nothing. If you only have time to juice twice a week, and can only afford a cheap centrifugal juicer, do it. Maybe you only get 90% of the benefit, but it's better than drinking soda and eating twinkies. Same thing with store bought juice, just make sure you look at the label and make sure it's actually juice, and not just water, sugar, and flavoring. I know the Bolthouse Farms and Naked Juice are made with real juice (looked at the label), and they're tasty and convenient.  I drink them when I'm on the road or really time crunched. Again, better than soda. Just be careful about calories and sugar, you might be getting a lot of nutrients, but there is a fair amount of sugar in there too.

2012-09-04 12:59 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
I have the breville juice fountain and really like it. This little brush spatula thing came with it and it makes cleaning it a breeze. The only thing I sometimes do is let the screen sit in hot water for 10-20 minutes to loosen up all the pulp that gets stuck in the little holes.
2012-09-05 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
Forget about juicing. Get yourself a NutriBullet.
No joke.
2012-09-12 11:24 AM

User image

El Paso, TX
Ohhhh.....You mean like orange juice.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (7KB - 41 downloads)

2022-01-13 12:27 PM
in reply to: Buckshot

I don't juice, but a nutritionist buddy recently introduced me to "Juice Plus," a daily tablet with a concentrated amount of fruits and vegetables that you take twice a day. I'm still looking into it, but I've spoken with two different nutritionists since then, and both of them said they've heard good things about the tablets, so I'm considering purchasing some.
2022-01-13 3:37 PM
in reply to: aquagirl

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Originally posted by aquagirl

Ah........juicing is a subject that I researched to death !

There are three different types of juicers on the market.

The most common one is the centrifugal juicer. This has fast spinning blades and works by chopping up the fruits and veggies into tiny pieces and then spitting them out through a screen, thus producing the juice. 

These juicers are relatively inexpensive.

Centrifugal juicers are NOISY as heck. So keep this in mind. If you juice when anyone is sleeping.....well that is a problem.

They are also notoriously difficult to clean. This is important because if a juicer is not convenient to use, it will sit unused. See Sharyn's comment above! Hers is an example of a centrifugal juicer. Other names that spring to mind are Breville, or Jack Lalanne.

For the best health benefits, you should juice daily, and if the machine is a PITA to clean then you will not want to use it. Period.

Another issue with this type of juicer is it's inability to properly juice leafy green veggies. It goes without saying that this is exactly what you SHOULD be juicing. 

Yet another issue with centrifugal juicers is one of oxidization. Because of the speed of the blades, there is some oxidization that occurs, and this can decrease the nutritional quality of the juice.

The most obscure type of juicer is called a twin gear. These are mucho expensive and quite large and heavy. They do produce an excellent quality of juice, and excel at juicing leafy greens, but they are also really hard to clean.

The best juicer? IMHO? The masticating or "auger" style of juicer.

This is also called a slow juicer. The way it works is to sloooooowly and gently squeeze out the juice by using a big screw type of gear. Because it is slow ( and slow is a relative term, this does not mean that it takes a long time to make your juice), there is no oxidization that occurs , and you also get as much juice as possible out of the produce. The pulp coming out will be as dry as hay.( In contrast, with a centrifugal juicer, the pulp will be quite wet. Some people actually rejuice the pulp. Messy and time consuming)

This type of juicer can handle all types of veggies including leafy greesn.

It is whisper quiet. Just makes a gentle hum.

But the BEST part??  Super easy to clean. 

They are mid priced but well worth every penny.

No....I do not work for a juicer company. Like i said I researched this to death, so you do not have to!

The best rated slow juicers on the market right now are the Omega Vert and the Hurom Slow juicer

They are both around the same price. 

I bought the Hurom , because that is what my local shop was selling. It works beautifully but the Omega (which is made in the same factory) has a 10 year warranty vs a 1 year warranty.

If I had it to do over again I would get an Omega for this reason alone.

There. That enough info for ya???

Sorry....I did not mean to write a juicing text book.

Did you get a juicer cookbook(so to speak) with it or did you just experiment with different things?
Thanks!!
Chris
2022-01-25 1:32 PM
in reply to: TRIMAN413

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
I was wondering why no one else was responding to this after I posted, then I realized that the post originated back in 2011. So let me see about brining it back to life and ask if anyone is still using Juicers and which ones they like?

Thanks!!
2022-01-29 5:14 PM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Delaware

I should juice all year round but I start in the spring and juice the veggies I grow in my garden throughout the summer..   Lots of beets because they are good for red blood cells but I do include just about everything you could think of.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Juicing Rss Feed