Cambodia
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 43s
Overall Rank = ?/?
Age Group = women OA
Age Group Rank = 5/?
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30; had coffee, oatmeal, Cliff Mojo bar for breakfast. Very nauseous, figured it was nerves. Left for start by 5:30, arrived by 6.
Event warmup:

Fairly minimal as in line for bathroom; still felt nauseous. We were held at the start for almost 20 minutes--aggravating. Tried to stretch, wiggle, and keep loose. Don't think it worked looking at how the race went.
Run
  • 1h 33m 43s
  • 21 kms
  • 04m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Yuck! Haven't had this kind of race since my 20's. Just....couldn't..... get....going! Felt very "flat" and exhausted the week before--three weeks of work with no break (grades, charity events, seminar) and major family issues. Hoped I'd feel better after taper but didn't--still sore and tired. Spent much of day before napping, but still woke up feeling tired and achy. As soon as I started running, my hamstrings (both--started last week), lower back, upper and lower arms hurt. Tried to tell myself maybe I just wasn't warmed up or used to the weather (unusually cool--maybe high 60's at start) and just to stay loose and relaxed. Didn't even start to feel better until almost 10 km. One gel at about 12 km; didn't feel need for more. By then I knew I wouldn't break 1:30. Last year I started well and then gradually lost it after 15 km, this year I felt better and better as the race went on. Kicked the last few km. and passed a bunch of people, almost sprinting in last 200m, really disappointed to miss last year's time by seven seconds!
What would you do differently?:

??????? I think warming up more/earlier would have helped. I don't know if it would have solved the problem (or what the problem was, exactly), but I would have been more aware of it and started to work through it sooner, physically and mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back out on course a bit to cheer in a friend. We later (after much pilfering of bananas) walked about 2 km back to look for a much slower friend. After 3 hours we gave up, figuring we'd missed her, and walked back to the finish; returned to hotel. 90 minute massage later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

?????? Can't figure it out. Something went wrong the week before that didn't resolve itself by race morning but gradually got better during the race. Lots of possible culprits--stress, poor recovery from hard training, electrolyte issues as weather the week before was very hot, maybe a virus? Had some upset stomach and sore throat each morning during the work week that went away later in the day. The cramps in my arms in the first five km really threw me as conditions were NOT extreme--actually perfect running weather for me. Nausea could have been due to nerves but the upper body cramps are not normal. PMS not a possibility. Really major fatigue first two days afterward despite lots of sleep and just easy swimming--again not normal for me unless this is what aging feels like!

Needed to deal with poor start better mentally and think about times I have worked through stuff like this. In retrospect it has happened twice--both were marathons and I was able to get into a steady pace after about 10 miles and finish strong though not a PB.

Event comments:

This race is very "bare bones" as it's a charity benefit for land-mine victims. Probably not what most first-world runners expect--only water on course and bananas at finish. (Actually, they gave out samples of a Thai pineapple sports drink to about the first 1/2 of the field before they ran out.) Awards only for top 3 overall. But the venue can't be beat, and it's for a good cause!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-12-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:43 | 21 kms | 04m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 5/?
Performance: Below average
I don't know if the splits were accurate; can't remember them all. They don't make much sense. 5K was about 22:30, 10K 43:26, 15K? Just remember that at 20K I still thought I had a good chance to break my time from last year, but not 1:30. I kicked it in--friends said I did, I passed lots of people, could tell from finish photos. No idea how I ended up at 1:33:43. Maybe 20 km was in wrong spot--they had moved marks from last year although course appeared unchanged except for one place around 18 km.
Course: Flat with a few almost imperceptible rises/ dips. Surface was unusually ripped up this year due to floods last month. There were several sections of gravel, sand, and potholes. I didn't feel it affected my run speed but in retrospect maybe it did. Nasty hot spots and one blood blister starting at about 12K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-12-07 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Angkor Wat Half Marathon

2011-12-07 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3929227

User image

Subject: RE: Angkor Wat Half Marathon

How cool is that?  I was there about 10 years ago, would be interested in the course

2011-12-07 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3929227

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Angkor Wat Half Marathon

CONGRATULATIONS!

I know you're disappointed about all the training and the seven seconds, but lady ... good grief ... look at what you went through the weeks prior. You ARE a better and faster runner than you were last year, but even the pros have to have the "stars" all align on a given day for it to turn out optimally and it often doesn't. Dollars to doughnuts another half mary in a few weeks would prove me entirely correct. Hey, you know there's one in Bali in a few months ...

You did wicked well, period. And you did especially wicked well considering the circumstances.

Plus, you seriously just are a smokin' fast Hot Runner.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Angkor Wat Half Marathon Rss Feed