United States
56F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m
Overall Rank = 42/190
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Had a bowl of cereal, some toast and a couple glasses of water for breakfast. Since the race didn't begin until 12:30, I nibbled on trail mix for a good part of the morning and drank a bottle of Accelerade. From 10 to noon, I must have gone to the bathroom about 6 times. I always have to got to the bathroom alot before a race.

Check-in started at 10 am, so we were there right at 10. I will never be that early for a race again. I was about to go nuts with anticipation. I think the same was true from Rachelle, Jacque (my sister), and Brenda (my step Mom).
Event warmup:

Once the pool opened up for warmups, some of my nervousness started to subside, but I really just wanted to get the race started. I jumped in the pool and did about 200 yards of drills to get warmed up. After my swim warmup, I wished Rachelle good luck and checked on Brenda & Jacque to be sure they were ready to go since this was their frist tri. Then I just tried to get by myself and mentally play out the race in my head. My plan was to increase the intensity as the race went on, so I didn't burn out my legs before the run
Swim
  • 08m 21s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Each person started 10 seconds after the previous person. Everyone started on the pool deck, crossed the timing mat at the edge of the pool and jumped in. I have zero experience jumping into a pool w/ my goggles on, so I'm sure I looked like a 6 year old holding onto my goggles w/ one hand and flailing w/ my other one as I dropped into the water, bbut it was kind of fun.

Right away I felt very strong and settled into a good pace and focused on long strokes. On the third lap though, things could have gone bad. I felt my timing chip coming loose on my ankle. As I took a breath, I looked back and saw it beginning to sink in the water. I snatched it out of the water and swam for a length and a half w/ it in my hand. I had heard my Dad cheering for me near the start, so I looked for him on that end of he pool and tossed it towards him on the deck while I said "transistion." I immediately got back into my rhythm and ended up passing 4 or 5 guys before getting out of the pool.

Since the weather was so cold and windy, I took the option of setting up T1 on the pool deck inside. The negative here was that I didn't actually cross the T1 timing mat until I already had my shoes, helmet and stuff, so I really don't know what my exact time was.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Obviously I don't know what my swim time was, but I'd be willing to bet it was right around 7 minutes even, so I'm very happy w/ that.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My transition here felt really sloppy although looking back, I'm not sure where I could have done anything differently, so I guess I should feel good about it.

More mental rehearsal since this was a change from the norm.
Bike
  • 45m 32s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming out of the transition, I knew I had a guy in a Team Javelin suit on some Zipp wheels behind me in my AG. I expected him to blow my doors off, but he didn't catch me until about 5 minutes in and when he did, I let him go on the downhill. I figured I'd waste too much effort trying to hang w/ those Zipps, but he didn't get far away and I caught him on the slight incline. We pretty well stayed together when another guy caught us on the flat and then the three of us seemed to hold the same pace for a while. Zipp guy and I stayed togther, but the other guy finally decided to drop us like a bad habit an did so rather quickly. I held a strong cadence but didn't kow how fast I was going since I didn't have a bike computer on my rental.

THEN WE HIT THE WIND... as the road curved to the right we went up a slight incline and directly into a 25-30 mph wind. I didn't like it the first time and didn't like it on the 2nd loop either. Once we turned right again we had a slight downhill and some trees that buffetted the cross winds. This is where I dropped the Zipp guy. There was a mild up hill, so instead of downshifting, I just got out of the saddle and cranked up the hill. I didn't see him the rest of the race, but I had also just been passed by a "Tri Spokes" guy. (Did I also mention that I got passed by a dude wearing nothing by a bright blue Speedo riding a Trek w/ friction shifters and running shoes? That guy was long gone by this point) Anyway, Tri Spokes stayed about 200 m in front of me and I didn't bother w/ him until after the second loop. As we passed the turn for the loop, I picked up my cadence and began passing quite a few people again. Tri Spokes was in my AG, so I thought I better at least close the gap and beat him on the run. As we wound through town, I felt like I was flying. As I turned the final corner about 1/4 mile before T2, Tri Spokes was about 30 feet ahead of me. I just stayed w/ him and tried to loosen my legs for the run.

I later found out my time on th bike was 45:32 an was dumbfounded. How could I have been so slow? I really had worked hard on the bike and looking at other times, I was very disappointed.

I dunno... I got an "Inspire-me" from 'norakramener' who said "The only way to define your limits is by going beyond them." So, here's my thought: Next race I'll hammer the bike to my limit and see what I can do on the run. I've always been a decent runner, so maybe I'll just let the cards fall where they may after a hard ride. Looks like I'll be doing the Pelican Fest Tri as an experiment before the 5430 Sprint.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Pretty quick transition. I had a little trouble getting my jacket off, but no biggie.

Nothing.
Run
  • 21m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I started the run, I realized I had drank a bit too much on the bike and was rewarded w/ a very nice stitch on my right side. I pushed on and did some belly breathing and it was gone after about 5 minutes. Mr. Tri Spokes was just in front of me still, but I passed him while I was trying to get rid of my stitch. The run was on a nicely packed trail through trees and stuff, but had lots of corners. Letting my breathing guide my effort, I pushed and tried to stay there without popping. I continued picking of alot of other people, but none in my AG. As I came out of the trails I saw my Dad again and he told me to pick it up. I realized that I had let up a bit, so I went back to work and let my breathing determine my pace as we ran a wide loop through the open park. Knowing I only had about a mile to go, I disregarded my breathing and just pushed. Approaching the finsh line, my legs were turning over great, but my stomach disagreed. I thought I might puke before the finish line, but kept going anyway. I finished w/out puking and put in a decent time although I know my mental break cost me.

Focus the whole time. I got too comfortable about midway through the run when I easily could have held a faster pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a banana & a water and cheered for Rachelle and my step mom.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental focus on the run.

Not real sure about my problem on the bike. It was rather windy and I did have some knee pain that I don't normally have. Possibly a poor bike fit, but I don't think that should have affected my performance all that dramatically.

Event comments:

Despite my performance and the crappy weather, I really enjoyed this race. Really, that's all we do this for anyway - just have fun.

Last updated: 2006-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:21 | 440 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/190
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi Shorts / In-Sport Tri Shirt
Course: Snake swim inthe pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:32 | 13.4 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Flat w/ mild hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:45 | 03.1 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-02 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon

2006-05-02 10:19 AM
in reply to: #412141

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon
Looks like a pretty good start to the season. I wouldn't worry about the bike part all that much considering you were on a rental bike. I have to ask, though, where the heck do you find time to get comfortable on a 5k?!!  Nice pace though.
2006-05-02 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Good first race, and I agree with Ryan, I wouldn't read too much into that bike performance between the wind and riding a rental bike.  You got some of the bugs out and now you can haul *** at the next one, so nice work.
2006-05-03 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Ben, nice race. The wind can be a mofo. I think you were fast during the whole race dude from the looks of it.
2006-05-04 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Great first race of the season. Wind is my nemesis and likes to play mental games with me, so I can totally relate. Rental bike? You're brave! Sounds like a fun family affair - glad Rachelle and your stepmom participated too. Good warmup for tri season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon Rss Feed