in reply to: #4424841

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Your clever interview questions
bradleyd3 - 2012-09-24 10:08 AM

mr2tony - 2012-09-24 10:00 AM

Dwayne - 2011-12-16 11:16 AM

Not a question but I walk them out to their car.  just to see if it's clean or dirty, doesn't have to be spotless, but just not a lot of clutter.  It tells me a lot about a person and if they don't keep their car neat, probably not much else either

What kind of job are you hiring for? This is probably one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. Some fo the greatest minds at our company, and we have a lot of great minds, have the messiest desks. Reminds me of an Einstein quote: `If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what does having an empty desk say about a person?'

Part of it's to see how they treat their personal belongings....and also to make sure they don't have any Obama stickers on the back of their car.

As someone who interviews a lot.....I like to mix in random questions. Most people can breeze through an interview. "Tell me about....." "What would you do...." "How would you handle...." Interviews are pretty standard.

I ask random questions mixed in. It gets the person to think on their feet and it gives me a good indication about "the real person". Asking silly questions will get the person to put their guard down and you can get a glimpse of who that person really is.....

I understand asking the questions -- what does the condition of someone's car have to do with their ability to do the job?

I mean, if the position is a driver for a CEO or a livery driver or something, then I can see it.

Because someone is messy doesn't mean they're not a good worker, or that they're not organized in their work life. It's a ridiculous conclusion to draw. Who cares how they treat their personal belongings and who cares if they have an Obama sticker on the back -- their political affiliations shouldn't have any bearing on their ability.

2012-09-24 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3940937

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
i had a boss that used to like watching people walk into the building from the visitor parking lot.  he felt that he could tell a lot about a person by watching them walk to the building.  he said that watching someone get out of their car (collect their stuff, adjust their tie/hair, fumble with their stuff/or not), walk to the building (how fast/slow they walk) and find their way the reception/secretary/managers office can tell a lot about a person's confidence and problem solving abilities when they are under a higher than normal amount of stress.   he was a bit of a mentalist and always seemed to be right.
2012-09-24 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4424865

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
mr2tony - 2012-09-24 10:29 AM

Not a question but I walk them out to their car.  just to see if it's clean or dirty, doesn't have to be spotless, but just not a lot of clutter.  It tells me a lot about a person and if they don't keep their car neat, probably not much else either

What kind of job are you hiring for? This is probably one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. Some fo the greatest minds at our company, and we have a lot of great minds, have the messiest desks. Reminds me of an Einstein quote: `If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what does having an empty desk say about a person?'

Part of it's to see how they treat their personal belongings....and also to make sure they don't have any Obama stickers on the back of their car.

As someone who interviews a lot.....I like to mix in random questions. Most people can breeze through an interview. "Tell me about....." "What would you do...." "How would you handle...." Interviews are pretty standard.

I ask random questions mixed in. It gets the person to think on their feet and it gives me a good indication about "the real person". Asking silly questions will get the person to put their guard down and you can get a glimpse of who that person really is.....

I understand asking the questions -- what does the condition of someone's car have to do with their ability to do the job?

I mean, if the position is a driver for a CEO or a livery driver or something, then I can see it.

Because someone is messy doesn't mean they're not a good worker, or that they're not organized in their work life. It's a ridiculous conclusion to draw. Who cares how they treat their personal belongings and who cares if they have an Obama sticker on the back -- their political affiliations shouldn't have any bearing on their ability.

Guess I should have used Sarc font.....I don't care about car condition and/or politicalness.

2012-09-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4424997

User image

Champion
Chicago
bradleyd3 - 2012-09-24 11:33 AM

mr2tony - 2012-09-24 10:29 AM

Guess I should have used Sarc font.....I don't care about car condition and/or politicalness.

LIES! Why do you hate messy America?
2012-09-24 3:36 PM

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA

I had a mock interview for a class in college and the job was for a nutritionist at a zoo.  They asked me to describe the steps I would take if I were to have people over for dinner.  How would I go about the meal. They were looking for preperation, details on cleanliness, that sort of thing.  Basically how I would prepare food for animals in the zoo, but desecribing it in a different way.

2012-09-24 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3941248

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Dwayne - 2011-12-16 12:16 PM Not a question but I walk them out to their car.  just to see if it's clean or dirty, doesn't have to be spotless, but just not a lot of clutter.  It tells me a lot about a person and if they don't keep their car neat, probably not much else either

Interesting.  My truck is a bit of a mess... hasn't been washed and vacuumed sine its last service appointment in February.  My bike on the other hand is clean as a whistle and could honestly pass for showroom... what does that say about me?

2012-09-24 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

I work in a technical position, so most of our questions revolve around that.  However, if I do have two candidates with similar backgrounds and experience, some of my favorites are:

1) What's your favorite book?

2) What do you do for fun outside work?

3) Have you ever been presented with an ethical dilemma?  If so, how did you go about dealing with it.

For the book question, I just want to make sure that someone is reading, at all.  My industry changes on a monthly basis, and you'd better be a voracious reader.  Most candidates I interview are well aware of where I'm going with this.  I always give extra credit to someone that mentions Ayn Rand

The recreation question- it's REALLY important to have a life outside work.  Whether you're an Ironman or you enjoy puzzles, or volunteer, just do something.  Being well rounded is more important than you might think.

The last one is always tough.  I've never seen anyone trip over it, but it's BS to say "I've never had one".

2012-09-24 6:19 PM
in reply to: #4424952

User image

Master
Albuquerque

antlimon166 - 2012-09-24 10:08 AM i had a boss that used to like watching people walk into the building from the visitor parking lot.  he felt that he could tell a lot about a person by watching them walk to the building.  he said that watching someone get out of their car (collect their stuff, adjust their tie/hair, fumble with their stuff/or not), walk to the building (how fast/slow they walk) and find their way the reception/secretary/managers office can tell a lot about a person's confidence and problem solving abilities when they are under a higher than normal amount of stress.   he was a bit of a mentalist and always seemed to be right.

I would walk potential hires to our seat to do the interview and walk at a brisk pace to see if they would keep up. If an interviewee won't hustle before they get the job when they should be trying to impress you, there's little chance they will hustle for you once they have the job.

2012-09-24 6:48 PM
in reply to: #4424841

User image

Elite

bradleyd3 - 2012-09-24 9:08 AM
Dwayne - 2011-12-16 11:16 AM Not a question but I walk them out to their car.  just to see if it's clean or dirty, doesn't have to be spotless, but just not a lot of clutter.  It tells me a lot about a person and if they don't keep their car neat, probably not much else either
Part of it's to see how they treat their personal belongings....and also to make sure they don't have any Obama stickers on the back of their car. As someone who interviews a lot.....I like to mix in random questions. Most people can breeze through an interview. "Tell me about....." "What would you do...." "How would you handle...." Interviews are pretty standard. I ask random questions mixed in. It gets the person to think on their feet and it gives me a good indication about "the real person". Asking silly questions will get the person to put their guard down and you can get a glimpse of who that person really is.....

And going back to what the poster said about law suit liability.... we used to ask random questions... now for the hiring process we can not ask a question to an candidate that we did not ask the others for this very reason. If we did not understand the answer, we can ask for clarification, but we can't ask them to expound, or dig deeper into their story if we did not do the same for others.

I'm not really saying one should or should not, it may be acceptable for what you are doing... just saying that one of the points our company tries to adhere to is equality in the process and providing equal treatment. Perhaps equality is good, perhaps limiting potential liability is too. Just throwing out .02.

2012-09-25 9:07 PM

Dear friends

I like Your clever interview questions very much. Thanks for sharing. IT'S wonderful.

If you have some time, pls visit my blog at: Manager interview questions

Rgs

2012-09-26 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY

A question that one of my friends always asks that I find amusing is "What is the last lie that you told?" 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Your clever interview questions Rss Feed  

of 3