Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-12-16 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3940937

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: RE: Your clever interview questions
I can't think of anything really clever right now but I am trying.... working from home and this BT forum is completely distracting me... thank you.

Lisa: You answers always make me smile. I don't know why they just do..... As far as the car thing goes I completely understand .... I have never really had to interview anyone in my life...wait check that yes I do in the military I guess but I really don't think of it as the same thing. My job has been in the past to interview possible CDI's (collateral duty inspectors). Basically they are people who look over the maintenance that has been done on the planes in order to make sure it was done right. QA I guess. I spend more time looking over their records etc to get a good feel for them. then when the interview comes I basically just ask them two questions:

1) What does this position mean to you? (this usually leads to some discussion)
2) What would make me think that if you saw corners being cut you would make the right decision?

2011-12-16 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

"How many gas stations are there in the greater Detroit area?"

Shows me to things: 

1) How they handle getting thrown for a loop

2) How they break down problems

I want to see them stay calm and have some sane answer for figuring out the problem.  Best answer I got was an instant response of 1282 (the candidate oozed confidence--wish we could have me the salary demands).  

2011-12-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3941320

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

cajnrunner - 2011-12-16 10:10 AM In an interview several years ago I was asked "if you could have dinner with 3 people, dead or alive, who would they be?" 

See, this is the kind of "interview question" that frustrates me.  How on earth would any response to that question be used in making an employment decision.  In fact, I think as an interviewer the most appropriate answer to that question would be "That's an interesting question, but I'm wondering what bearing my answer would have on your decision about whether to hire me for this position?"  At least if someone answered that way I'd know that they have a BS detector.

2011-12-16 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3941373

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
tjh - 2011-12-16 12:52 PM

cajnrunner - 2011-12-16 10:10 AM In an interview several years ago I was asked "if you could have dinner with 3 people, dead or alive, who would they be?" 

See, this is the kind of "interview question" that frustrates me.  How on earth would any response to that question be used in making an employment decision.  In fact, I think as an interviewer the most appropriate answer to that question would be "That's an interesting question, but I'm wondering what bearing my answer would have on your decision about whether to hire me for this position?"  At least if someone answered that way I'd know that they have a BS detector.

x2, along with the totally obscure like "if you could be any animal, what would you be?"

I mean, if you're hiring a media spokesperson or PR director - maaaaaybe a question like that just to see how quickly they think on their toes and "bridge" to an answer that gets back to the task at hand. 

But otherwise, those questions seem like a cop-out on the interviewer's part, like they don't have enough serious or pertinent questions to ask. Seems like a big waste of everyone's time. 

2011-12-16 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
I always like to remind them that no matter what the job is, customer service and relationships are #1.

Tell me about your worst customer service experience.

Tell me about your best customer service experience.

2011-12-16 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3941386

User image

Austin, Texas
lisac957 - 2011-12-16 1:05 PM
tjh - 2011-12-16 12:52 PM

x2, along with the totally obscure like "if you could be any animal, what would you be?"

I mean, if you're hiring a media spokesperson or PR director - maaaaaybe a question like that just to see how quickly they think on their toes and "bridge" to an answer that gets back to the task at hand. 

But otherwise, those questions seem like a cop-out on the interviewer's part, like they don't have enough serious or pertinent questions to ask. Seems like a big waste of everyone's time. 

I agree 100% with both of you. The job was for a regional sales manager position and had zero bearing on what the job duties were.  I always prefer keeping questions relevant to job duties and throw in a few situational questions to get a feel for the applicants thought process.

2011-12-16 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

When I had just started working for my current employer back in 1997 they allowed me to interview for a higher position in the department.  I had only been with the company for 4 months and was quite happy with what I was doing, so there was no stress going into the interview.  One of the question was:

HR Person:  So how long do you see yourself working here?

My quick direct answer:  7 years

Everyone in the room is looking at each other, probably thinking "why 7 years?".

HR Person:  Why do you say 7 years?

Me:  Isn't that when you're fully vested?

The hiring manager for the new position was practically on the floor laughing.

Got the job!

2011-12-16 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3940977

User image

Longview, Texas
D.K. - 2011-12-16 9:38 AM

Q: where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I would like to be on a 4 year affair with your wife, also working for your major competitor after got your trust and stolen all your secrets before gettin a better job...

got this from a magazine, Tongue out

2011-12-16 4:33 PM

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA

I was once asked "Please tell me the steps you would take in making dinner if I were coming to your house next weekend?"  This was for a job as a nutritionist at a zoo. What they were looking for is planning, safe food handling practices, etc.  I think your answer could tell a lot about a person, if they are orginized, clean, also if they were the type of person who likes to take charge and do things themselves or just have someone else do it. 

2011-12-17 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

I've been interviewing folks for many years and have found that most can BS the standard questions.  I always start off with

"So tell me about yourself"  Once they go to the resume I say for them to stay off the resume.  I can read what's written.  Once they are finished talking about themselves - I then change the interview to a case study.

I'm in Supply Chain management, so I create a case study on a white board and have them solve the problem.  As they solve the puzzle, I'm asking various technical questions.

If the candidate gets the technical stuff right and their story is engaging - it's now a matter of can I relate with them and do they "fit" with the cast of characters I already have. 

Some say I might get a group of the "same" types of people, but we gel well and are highly productive.  So it's a win.

2011-12-17 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I don't interview people for jobs, but I have sat on some Eagle Scout Board of Reviews.  Here are two that I ask them. 

If you could repeat one merit badge, which one would it be and why? 

A Cub Scout knocks on your door 10 years from now selling popcorn, describe the person who answers the door. 

2011-12-17 10:51 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

Only one question is needed during an interview.

"Are you an @sshole?"

I don't care about your degrees, certifications, or years of experience.  I just want to know if you can show up to work on time, do what I ask you to do the first time I ask it, and aren't an @sshole.  Is that so much to ask?

2011-12-18 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

I usually ask a couple of questions when I am interviewing somebody.  I work for a small software\consulting company, about 75 people.  We don't have a training group or anything like that.  I usually ask something along the following:

"Tell me how you are going to get yourself up to speed on the software package, how do you go about learning a new technology?"  

I'm always interested in seeing how people go about learning new things and what their approach is.  Then if I like them, I tell them we do have an onboarding process and not to freak out that I'm going to stick you in a corner by yourself.  

Another question I ask is:

"If I gave you $1 million right now to start a company what would it be?"  

You hear some interesting ones with my second question.  

Then I ask:

"What is your political preference?"

"What is your religion?"

"What is your sexual orientation?"

Edited by mattb1 2011-12-18 9:47 AM
2011-12-18 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3941248

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA

Dwayne - 2011-12-16 9:16 AM Not a question but I walk them out to their car.  just to see if it's clean or dirty, doesn't have to be spotless, but just not a lot of clutter.  It tells me a lot about a person and if they don't keep their car neat, probably not much else either

What if the car does not belong to the applicant?   

My car is spotless and devoid of any clutter, but my office is another story (I work in govt, share an office, and office supplies/equipment/furniture are often hard to come by).  Yet, I am an outstanding employee.  This rather arbitrary test you administer tells you nothing about how the applicant will perform as an employee. 

2011-12-18 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe

Some of the stuff I ask is:

What is your strongest attribute?  And I am usually impressed when it's something unusual. Everyone will tell you they are loyal, hardworking, honest and so forth.

What is your weakest area?  People that will never admit to a weakness are generally not being honest with me or themselves. Everyone can always improve in some area and should really be aware of it for themselves.

Why are you the best candidate for this position? Again, something unusual or outside the box at least tells me they've thought about it.

2011-12-18 9:23 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm a big fan of open ended questions no matter what the topic.

I also like to challenge them under stress to see how they think on their feet.  One of my favorite questions is "I looked at your resume and I don't really think your qualified for this position.  What do you think?"  (even if they're the most qualified I still like to throw this one at them)

2012-09-23 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3943349

tuwood - 2011-12-18 9:23 PM

I'm a big fan of open ended questions no matter what the topic.

I also like to challenge them under stress to see how they think on their feet.  One of my favorite questions is "I looked at your resume and I don't really think your qualified for this position.  What do you think?"  (even if they're the most qualified I still like to throw this one at them)

Thank very much for your comment. It help me to think about for my ideals.

We also find them more same at: Plant manager interview questions

Tks again.

2012-09-24 2:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

One I always throw in is who has been your favourite manager to work for and the worse, then probe into what was good or bad about the relationship.  If you honestly understand what type of manager you are, you will be able to figure out if they will thrive or perish under you.

Comes back to the old addage "People join companies, but leave because of their manager"

2012-09-24 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Reading through these questions takes me back to one of my MBA classes.  It was an HR class that was mainly focused on hiring.  Pretty much all of the questions listed could cause an employer to get sued.  Not saying I agree with it, but many of them were not specifically related to job that would be completed and some are easily culturally bias.  Our professor, who had a firm that regularly defended applicants who did not believe they received a fair shake, said the most important thing to know about hiring is that every applicant is a potential law suit.  If you don't hire a minority or woman because you didn't like the top 5 movies they picked, you can bet they'll win in court.  You have to be able to present facts that show the person you hired was more qualified to do the job that you're hiring someone for.  I also saw one person mention, they wanted to know if the applicant would fit in with the current culture.   Imagine telling a judge the reason you didn't hire a minority is because you didn't think they'd "fit in".  Even if you or others on your team are a minority, you might as well starting writing 0's on a check and just ask the judge when to stop.

I think most of this stuff is BS, but if you care about your employer (which may be you), then you'll go talk to an HR Professional or better yet a lawyer who specializes in hiring.

2012-09-24 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

"Why are manhole covers round?"

Definitely caught me off-guard interviewing for an electrical engineering position.

My answer "Because the holes they cover are round"

2012-09-24 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Dwayne - 2011-12-16 11:16 AM

Not a question but I walk them out to their car.  just to see if it's clean or dirty, doesn't have to be spotless, but just not a lot of clutter.  It tells me a lot about a person and if they don't keep their car neat, probably not much else either

What kind of job are you hiring for? This is probably one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. Some fo the greatest minds at our company, and we have a lot of great minds, have the messiest desks. Reminds me of an Einstein quote: `If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what does having an empty desk say about a person?'

2012-09-24 10:02 AM

User image

Expert

Dwayne - 2011-12-16 11:16 AM Not a question but I walk them out to their car.  just to see if it's clean or dirty, doesn't have to be spotless, but just not a lot of clutter.  It tells me a lot about a person and if they don't keep their car neat, probably not much else either

Heh.

My guess is you have missed out on a lot of great employees because of this silly act you do...

2012-09-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4424824

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
mr2tony - 2012-09-24 10:00 AM

Dwayne - 2011-12-16 11:16 AM

Not a question but I walk them out to their car.  just to see if it's clean or dirty, doesn't have to be spotless, but just not a lot of clutter.  It tells me a lot about a person and if they don't keep their car neat, probably not much else either

What kind of job are you hiring for? This is probably one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. Some fo the greatest minds at our company, and we have a lot of great minds, have the messiest desks. Reminds me of an Einstein quote: `If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what does having an empty desk say about a person?'

Part of it's to see how they treat their personal belongings....and also to make sure they don't have any Obama stickers on the back of their car.

As someone who interviews a lot.....I like to mix in random questions. Most people can breeze through an interview. "Tell me about....." "What would you do...." "How would you handle...." Interviews are pretty standard.

I ask random questions mixed in. It gets the person to think on their feet and it gives me a good indication about "the real person". Asking silly questions will get the person to put their guard down and you can get a glimpse of who that person really is.....

2012-09-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4424841

bradleyd3 - 2012-09-24 10:08 AM
mr2tony - 2012-09-24 10:00 AM
Dwayne - 2011-12-16 11:16 AM Not a question but I walk them out to their car.  just to see if it's clean or dirty, doesn't have to be spotless, but just not a lot of clutter.  It tells me a lot about a person and if they don't keep their car neat, probably not much else either
Part of it's to see how they treat their personal belongings....and also to make sure they don't have any Obama stickers on the back of their car. As someone who interviews a lot.....I like to mix in random questions. Most people can breeze through an interview. "Tell me about....." "What would you do...." "How would you handle...." Interviews are pretty standard. I ask random questions mixed in. It gets the person to think on their feet and it gives me a good indication about "the real person". Asking silly questions will get the person to put their guard down and you can get a glimpse of who that person really is.....

Thank very much for your comment. It help me to think about for my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

2012-09-24 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3942890

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
TriFlorida - 2011-12-18 12:42 PM

Some of the stuff I ask is:

What is your weakest area?  People that will never admit to a weakness are generally not being honest with me or themselves. Everyone can always improve in some area and should really be aware of it for themselves.

I always want to answer this one with "Swimming.  No matter how much I train, I just can't keep my body position correct."

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Your clever interview questions Rss Feed  

of 3