General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yes, your winter coat is indeed shed-able Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-25 7:32 PM

Franklin, TN
Subject: Yes, your winter coat is indeed shed-able
Anyone else feeling less than athletic - much less tri-athletic today?

Personally I have crept up to 184 lbs which is 12 lbs over my ideal race weight that I donned at the 70.3 in Orlando last May.

This time of year always brings on an emotional funk for me. I know that by March I'll be focused, lean and fit. However, right now all I want is another cup of eggnog and some chestnut pie - if for no other reason than to ensure that my jeans will absolutely not button in the morning. Hopefully motivating me to get serious again.

I'll soon draw the line in the sand on the diet and become relentless about calories, nutrients and ounces of water consumed per day. I hope I can regain the fitness, they physique, the mental focus. I always do, but it's easy to doubt that it will come back this time of year. Right now that all seems so far away.

So here's to longer days, sunshine on my shoulders and a few less lipids on my hips. As I ready this ship to head back to sea I bid you good day 2011, for the time in the harbor spent sitting on my laurels has brought me full circle back to the lowly emotions common to the day before I first decided to become a triathlete. The emotional state that caused me to say, 'enough', I can't keep on like this forever. And now it starts anew. Anchors away and game on!

2011-12-25 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3953551

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga
Subject: RE: Yes, your winter coat is indeed shed-able
not really sure how to respond to this thread. but i'm feeling pretty lazy myself. but know in the back of my mind. the questioning of myself is almost over and ready to take on that next step to triumph.   good luck with your breaking point and next season.
2011-12-26 1:20 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ

TriTardy - 2011-12-25 7:32 PM Anyone else feeling less than athletic - much less tri-athletic today? Personally I have crept up to 184 lbs which is 12 lbs over my ideal race weight that I donned at the 70.3 in Orlando last May. This time of year always brings on an emotional funk for me. I know that by March I'll be focused, lean and fit. However, right now all I want is another cup of eggnog and some chestnut pie - if for no other reason than to ensure that my jeans will absolutely not button in the morning. Hopefully motivating me to get serious again. I'll soon draw the line in the sand on the diet and become relentless about calories, nutrients and ounces of water consumed per day. I hope I can regain the fitness, they physique, the mental focus. I always do, but it's easy to doubt that it will come back this time of year. Right now that all seems so far away. So here's to longer days, sunshine on my shoulders and a few less lipids on my hips. As I ready this ship to head back to sea I bid you good day 2011, for the time in the harbor spent sitting on my laurels has brought me full circle back to the lowly emotions common to the day before I first decided to become a triathlete. The emotional state that caused me to say, 'enough', I can't keep on like this forever. And now it starts anew. Anchors away and game on!

I hear you on the longer days and getting back to form but I never really understand why athletes fall so out of form.  For me triathlon is more of lifestyle.  Sure I let things down for a couple of weeks a year but regardless I still try to make good eating decisions.  

Bad fuel just makes me feel like junk.  Tonight I started writing a column called "simple triathlete eating" where I hope to showcase various foods that I eat that are all super simple to prepare and are healthy.  This particular piece was on the mini-bell pepper.  Check it out and get back on the healthy food wagon.  Best of of luck in 2012.  -TG

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2011/12/triathlon-training-diet-mini-bell.html 

2011-12-26 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS

Even though i have gained a few pounds since november, i always try to to do one of the three sports every day. Sometimes i cant because of work or prior commitments. It is so hard to jump on a piece of equipment this time of year and go a hour while everyone else is eating pie and other things, we just have to hang in there and do the best we can until all the fatty foods are gone.

2011-12-26 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

It is a lifestyle. Plain and simple. 

Know what I crave? I crave the emotional high I get from eating well and training. Simple.

These days I am unable to even walk, ( knee surgery 2 months ago with an extensive rehab period), but I still get to the pool five days a week. Why? Because it makes me feel good.

Tough love: be very, VERY grateful that you have the ability to train.

I would give anything to be in your position.

Now get on out there........and run a mile for me would you??

2011-12-26 10:11 AM

User image

Elite

I drew my line in the sand yesterday...back on the wagon for me today.  On my own positive note, this year even though my diet has been terrible the last two weeks, I didn't miss one day of training--for me that's huge.  Usually when the diet fails, the motivation to move wanes as well.  Not this year...part of it is due to this being a way of life, as others have stated, but I also got involved with a few challenge treads and didn't want to let my tri-peeps down.  This morning I feel pretty crappy after a Christmas candy-fest last night...but I'm ready to get my body back feeling good.  Besides, if I kept up at this rate, next week I'd have to teach in elastic waistband sweats!  Ha!  

Bottom line is I hear ya...but I'm stepping back into the light today.

2011-12-26 11:21 AM

User image

Regular

I'm with you - the past couple of weeks I've been focused more on christmas than working out. However, my wife and I both knew that a large portion of christmas is going to be exercise stuff. Clothes, water bottles, and for her a garmin. It'll be back to getting after it today, with a run here shortly and a bike trainer session later.

And if all my gear isn't enough, I'll just count the weeks till my first century of 2012 (9?!?!? Crap!) and I'll be doubly motivated to get started over again. I dont know that it's for everyone, but for me, I like taking some time off where I dont feel obligated to train. If I start feeling bad about missing workouts, I get burnt out quickly.

2011-12-26 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas/Ft. Worth
2011-12-26 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3953836

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
aquagirl - 2011-12-26 8:40 AM

Know what I crave? I crave the emotional high I get from eating well and training. Simple.

These days I am unable to even walk, ( knee surgery 2 months ago with an extensive rehab period), but I still get to the pool five days a week. Why? Because it makes me feel good.

Was just thinking about that on my run Christmas morning - always thankful to be able to run because I know many can't.  Another reason why I try not to fall of the wagon in the off-season - I know someday I won't be about to get on that wagon.  

2011-12-26 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3954075

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
ThomasGerlach ProTri - 2011-12-26 10:23 AM

Was just thinking about that on my run Christmas morning - always thankful to be able to run because I know many can't.  Another reason why I try not to fall of the wagon in the off-season - I know someday I won't be about to get on that wagon.  

I can certainly appreciate this.  This time of year I typically keep training but I do what I feel like doing without stressing about a plan, distance, pace, etc.  I love nothing more than to get out and run.  I miss it greatly when I can not.  Currently recovering from a hernia repair (about 10 days off) and while enjoying the rest and healing look forward to hitting it again ASAP.

2011-12-26 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3954075

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
ThomasGerlach ProTri - 2011-12-26 11:23 AM

I try to take the same approach.  There are days I simply can't do anything because of commitments but on days where I have the time yet not the desire, I think about any of the number of people I encounter regularly that would love to be able to go out for a run, swim or bike.  We are lucky to have our health and abilities.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yes, your winter coat is indeed shed-able Rss Feed