United States
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 29s
Overall Rank = 3/87
Age Group = M39 & Under
Age Group Rank = 3/53
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:15 - showered and got the race gear on - tights, long sleeve compression with short sleeve t-shirt. The weather was supposed to be mid 30s and cloudy so figured this should be good.
I had a bagel with peanut butter and banana for breakfast about 6:30 and then sipped gatorade on the drive to the venue.
It only took me 1:10 minutes to get to the venue from my house and got there just after 8:15 for a 9:30 start time.
Event warmup:

Met up with Ryan (yeats) before the start and chatted about the race and how much fun we were about to have. The 5 mile and 50K were going off at 9:00. The half and full marathons went off at 9:30.
I went for a short run about 9:10 and stretched a bit before toeing the line. The plan was to go off with the leaders and see how things played out the first couple miles. The winner of the spring race ran a 1:38 so I knew it was going to be a hard course. I set my garmin to display average pace for the entire run and wanted to be around 7:45 to put me in a good position.
Run
  • 1h 39m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I went off at the front and in the first mile a younger guy took off and got a pretty good gap so determined he was for real. I settled in with a group of 4 other guys. One of them was clearly a pretender huffing and puffing so hard in the first 2 miles that I was not sure if he would even finish. The other three looked pretty legit. The trail was mainly singletrack trail and timing passes was critical. I was feeling really good in the early miles..climbing very well and descending quickly. I was running with a gu flask and hoping to utilize the 4 aid stations on the course to wash it down with water but the stations did not make it easy to fly through them. They were a bit off the trail and pretty much had to stop to grab the cup. I think I only took 3 glasses of water the whole run and only 1-1.5 gu's. I needed more.
At about the 5 mile mark the second place guy opened up a good gap on us and I remained right on the heels of the third place guy who looked pretty strong and was keeping a good rythem. Around the 7 mile mark is when I passed the 3rd place guy at an aid station and quickly opened up a pretty good gap on him. I turned up the pace a bit after I passed him to make sure he did not think he could hang around. Within a mile I looked back and that guy and the other guy were not in sight...good! I was in third place and thinking podium! I could also not see the second place guy so I was all alone but feeling pretty good.
Then came the 10 mile mark and the beginning of a long sustained climb where everything changed. My legs began to scream at me from all the residual fatigue of the previous descending/ascending on the trails. The quads were absolutely torched! My thoughts changed from good to bad. I really did not know if I would make it to the finish. I was able to hang tough and about the 11.5 mile mark came a long downhill and I was able to regroup and feel good again. It also about this time that the second place guy came into view. I guess he felt the pain of that climb too. The adrenaline kicked in and I turned the pace up a notch at that point. Once we turned onto the finsh driveway he had about 300 feet on me and was not able to catch him. I felt completely satisfied with my effort and clock read 1:39 which I was satisfied with. The winner was around 1:35. Chatting with him after the race he said his Half Mary PR was 1:19 and he only beat me by 4 minutes...that gives me an idea of where my fitness is at right now. The run mileage and build since October has boosted me quite a bit.

Mile Splits
7:37
8:11
7:02
7:47
7:15
7:46
8:12
7:48
8:03
7:55
8:17
7:15
6:32

What would you do differently?:

I would probably bring either a handheld water bottle or fuel belt so I did not have to worry about aid stations. The stations were 3 miles apart and I did not take in enough nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

I talked with the two guys that finished ahead of me and traded war stories about the course. I got a tech tee for finishing 3rd overall. The race shirts for this event were really nice long sleeve tech shirts and they also had a finishers globe. I waited for Ryan to come around from his first lap of the 50K and he looked fresh as a daisy after 18 miles completed. He congratulated me on the third place finish and took off for his final 13 miles.

I got some good food and hot coffee in the warming hut and chatted with some other racers before taking off for home. I took a nap when I got home..that course beat me up!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

This was a very fun local race with 175 total participants and four different distances. The course is difficult but absolutely amazing and so much fun to run on. I cannot say enough about how great the course is. The volunteers did an excellent job as well. I will most likely be back next year

Last updated: 2011-12-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:29 | 13.1 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/53
Overall: 3/87
Performance: Good
Course: Yankee Springs State Rec Area - mountain bike trails - hilly, technical, tough!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-01-09 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Yankee Springs 13.1 Trail Run

2012-01-09 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3979570

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Yankee Springs 13.1 Trail Run
Nice work - a great way to start the new year! nice and speedy too - even on the trails!
2012-01-10 6:23 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Woo hoo!  A good read!  Good race and way to push through.  Congrats on placing!
2012-01-10 5:14 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Talk about executing to perfection, dang Ryan, you put on a clinic. I liked the part where you not only passed the 3rd place guy, but put the dagger in by making sure you gapped him too. Those are some hardcore race tactics, and all I can say is I'm glad I didn't do the half marathon! I've said it before, but your run fitness gains this winter have been ridiculously well earned, and you showed it on race day. Congrats on a great day!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yankee Springs 13.1 Trail Run Rss Feed