Pickle Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 59s
Overall Rank = 105/164
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 10/20
Pre-race routine:

I was alone at the hotel so I took my time getting ready. Breakfast was a PBJ on whole wheat, hard boiled egg, and yogurt with some granola. Checked out the hotel and left at 6:45. Checked in, set up my transition area and froze a bit in the 42 degree plus WINDY morning.
Event warmup:

Biked about 10 minutes, ate a GeniSoy bar and water, and went back inside to the pool area, where I stretched and strethed.
Swim
  • 13m 25s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim time was pretty consistent with my training, but not as fast as I had hoped. The painted lane lines & Ts at the lane ends were hard to see and swimmers had some difficulty coming into the wall, myself included.
What would you do differently?:

Probably go out a little faster, but in general, I just need to keep swimming more!
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I had to jump out of the pool, exit the building, run across the grass and then into the transition area. I had assumed I'd be riding in long sleeves so I put my short sleeve jersey away. I was surprised to see the sun, so I had to open my bag & grab the other one - though it didn't slow me down much.

Practice these transitions!
Bike
  • 41m 23s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a great ride and I'm very pleased with where I finished. The wind provided some challenge, but I was determined to ride it hard. Since I was in the first swim wave, there weren't a lot of riders on the course, but I knew there were at least 10 or 12 ahead of me. I just kept passing one by one, and when I came into T2, there were only 3 ahead of me! I'm VERY happy with my age group rank, and that out of 64 women in all, I was 12th on the bike. I know where my strength is!

Drink more - however, it was windy enough that I felt like I needed two hands on the bike most of the time.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

It was all good...UNTIL my right calf cramped BIG TIME while I was slipping on my running shoes. I actually had to sit down and work the cramp out. I got up to run as soon as I could, but I felt it the rest of the way.

Not get a cramp? I'll still call it good, though, since I can't control the cramp.
Run
  • 28m 12s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

With my leg cramped I was a bit hindered, but I was determined to run the whole thing - and I ran faster than most of my training runs! The run felt amazingly easy to me - maybe because all I could do was put one foot in front of the other and hope my leg didn't cramp again!

Not much I could do about the cramp - without it, I would definitely have put on some more speed.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit, stretching out my leg. It was really more of a limp since as soon as I stopped running my leg tightened up again. Had some fruit and water, showered, and chatted with other racers while we waited for results & awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really, the only things that got in my way were the wind - and it didn't seem to slow me down much! - and the leg cramp.

Event comments:

I had a great day - it was a PR, I met my race goal, AND I met my biking goal for the season in May! I'm so pleased with my biking, but I know I need to get some speed in the swim & run. Nonetheless, I think of how far I have come since my first tri 49 weeks ago and I'm thrilled! I would do this race again.

Last updated: 2006-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:25 | 600 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 122/164
Performance: Average
Suit: two piece tri suit
Course: This was a pool swim, with lanes roughly divided by estimated time. There were three swimmers in my lane. Personally, I thought the pool was too warm.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:23 | 13 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 72/164
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course was kind of a loop, with the majority on main roads. There were two train tracks to cross, and quite a few turns. There was a short segment on a trail that was great, but coming off the trail required a 90 degree turn onto a street so braking was necessary. There were some long hills (mostly into the wind!) but I wouldn't call it a particularly hilly course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:12 | 03 miles | 09m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 133/164
Performance: Good
Course: Almost completely flat with two short hills. Paved trail going out, with mostly city streets and a wood chip path coming back in. One water stop at the turn around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-06 11:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: Chain of Lakes Triathlon

2006-05-07 5:14 AM
in reply to: #416758

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Chain of Lakes Triathlon
Congrat on your improvement. You had a smoking fast bike!!!
2006-05-07 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Too bad I didn't run into you. Maybe I'll catch you at another race.

Almost 19 mph in that wind is pretty darn good. You have every right to be proud of that.

Your calf cramping in T2 is not uncommon. I thought I was going to cramp up when I hit the RR tracks out of T2, but I luckily ran through it quite quickly.

Keep up the improvement. That is what it is all about.

B-One
2006-05-07 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Congrats on the race...sorry you're leg cramped up.  Hope it feels better soon :-)
2006-05-07 9:51 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
woo hoo! fantastic job! you kicked tail on the bike! i wish i could have been there to cheer for you. what a fabulous race!!! you should be very proud.
2006-05-08 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job, Kris! Awesome bike ride!! Congrats.

2006-05-08 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Nice job, great race. See you at the pool.
-Matt
2006-05-12 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Good job on the race, sounds like you will be setting some more goals for later this season.
2006-05-12 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Good job Kris, that wins was brutal. Maybe the BT tattoos would really come in handy. I had no idea there were other BT'ers there. This is my second time doing Chain of Lakes. I think it is run really well.
Congrats on your success, maybe catch you at one of the other TriMN Series races.

Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chain of Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed