of 8

2012-01-16 11:22 PM
in reply to: #3994076

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Subject: RE: what it means to be an ironman
reecealan - 2012-01-16 10:25 PM

I thought you weren't an ironman until Mike Reilly said so.........

Or his understudy, I hope: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/view-profile.asp?uid=70916

2012-01-16 11:35 PM
in reply to: #3993998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
How would you get the benefit of swimming in a pack and drafting off the swimmers in front of you?

How would you carry all your hydration and nourishment yourself without an aid station every 10 miles on the bike and every mile on the run? A multiple looped bike and run course or stopping at stores sounds like so much fun!

How would you feel if you had to stop at red lights and keep aware of inattentive drivers at all times?

tamason - 2012-01-16 5:50 PM

How would someone replicate the feeling one gets of getting your goggles kicked off, being swam over the top of, trying to sight without getting smacked.

Or on the bike trying to figure out if you have the ability to pass that person in front of you without getting a passing violation, going over 40 mph down a grade and wondering how you are going to get past the group going slower who are riding abreast.

And of course the mind games that arise on the run as you see some people stop and puke all over, or the ones that are hauled off and you wonder to yourself: what just happened to them that might happen to me around the next bend?

Running a 5k race is much different than running 3.1 miles on a training run.  Multiply that 20 times for the IM race.

Just a thought.

Edited by joker70 2012-01-16 11:43 PM
2012-01-16 11:50 PM

User image

Pro
tamason - 2012-01-16 8:50 PM

How would someone replicate the feeling one gets of getting your goggles kicked off, being swam over the top of, trying to sight without getting smacked.

Or on the bike trying to figure out if you have the ability to pass that person in front of you without getting a passing violation, going over 40 mph down a grade and wondering how you are going to get past the group going slower who are riding abreast.

And of course the mind games that arise on the run as you see some people stop and puke all over, or the ones that are hauled off and you wonder to yourself: what just happened to them that might happen to me around the next bend?

Yeah, I've got to admit......that's all pretty horrific!!!! Laughing

2012-01-17 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3994200

User image

Regular
NW
Left Brain - 2012-01-16 9:50 PM
tamason - 2012-01-16 8:50 PM

Yeah, I've got to admit......that's all pretty horrific!!!! Laughing

LOL, Ok you got me.  You're right.  Now that I think about it, having other racers and actually being in a race doesn't define the competitor.

Did I mention I'm a super bike racer?  I took my motorcycle to the track years ago and rode during open track time.  Never did enter a race though but it wouldn't have made it any different.

2012-01-17 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3993950

User image

Elite
I am not an Ironman but I did stay at a Holiday In express last night
2012-01-17 8:08 AM

User image

Elite
not good answers here. Maybe you should ask slowtwitch?

2012-01-17 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3994076

User image

Elite
N Carolina

reecealan - 2012-01-16 10:25 PM I thought you weren't an ironman until Mike Reilly said so.........

Sometimes Mike Reilly is not at an official WTC race.  For instance, IM Louisville and IM Canada are on the same day.

Carry on....................

2012-01-17 8:59 AM

User image

2012-01-17 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3993965

User image

Regular
San Luis Obispo

Mikeylee - 2012-01-16 6:29 PM I do not think they are considered an IM. The event and the pressure some feel attached to the event makes you an IM. The world's fastest man is not the guy who runs the fastest time in the world on the local high school track.

You're fine and I liked your point.

2012-01-17 9:13 AM

User image

Regular
San Luis Obispo

In my opinion, if someone did the distance, then they're in great shape.  Ironman is a sanctioned race and I believe that you "earn" that title when you cross the finish line to that race. 

2012-01-17 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Well, I am counting my homebrew Doughboy triathlon from November as an actual olympic. I don't know if you have to be nerdy enough to create a webpage and file a race report. Of course, olympic-distance finisher doesn't have the same ring to it as IM.

2012-01-17 9:39 AM

User image

Sure, why not? 

When the 2010 Myrtle Beach Marathon was cancelled due to snow (yes I said snow, it was maybe the only time Myrtle Beach has ever had 4 inches of snow), I ran the course on my own, with my own hydration save 2 water bottles tossed to me by my dad along the way, and having to stop in McDonald's and gas station restrooms. 

Heck yeah I count it as one of my marathons - it was harder than the organized races that I did - nothing like having to get going again at mile 24 after a stoplight, or having to cross 6 lanes of traffic on mile 25.  And still managed to PR!

2012-01-17 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
So those of you that are saying no, do we say no to those military members that run certain Marathon events over in Iraq or Afghanistan rather than at the actual race site here in the states? (Did that make sense?) I know they get the same medals, etc. as the finishers at the real race site.
2012-01-17 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
tamason - 2012-01-16 7:50 PM

Running a 5k race is much different than running 3.1 miles on a training run.  Multiply that 20 times for the IM race.

Just a thought.

Ya... and on the flip side of that... you have a guy (or girl) doing it with nothing "making" them do it... no race fee to forefiet, no one cheering them on, no one to run next to to help them out, no targets to keep the going. they also have no support, no water no anything, everything is self supported... the only thing they have to hold on to is just doing it "because".

So you can say they are not an Ironman because they didn't have the pressure of the race.... and for every person that made it through the "pressure of the race" I can show you just as many that could not "make it on their own". It's a silly distinction.

the original folks wanted to see who could do all three distances, then they said all three distances under a time cut off. If you can do all three distances under the time cut off, you are an Ironman....

Having said that though... then we get to what ever that means... because it has been proven  tens of thousands of times that average people with average ability can train for and complete an Ironman event. The fact that very few do, does not mean only very few can.

2012-01-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3994775

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

rnner66 - 2012-01-17 7:46 AM So those of you that are saying no, do we say no to those military members that run certain Marathon events over in Iraq or Afghanistan rather than at the actual race site here in the states? (Did that make sense?) I know they get the same medals, etc. as the finishers at the real race site.

Well, no..."Marathon" is a distance, "Ironman" is an event. Ironman is just a company who puts on races. They have their half events, their 5150 events, and their fulls. They're the one who have decided that you are called an Ironman after doing their full. I think it is just as complimentary to say that you're capable of doing a full Ironman without calling you an "Ironman". It's a brand, it's not a ranking system or a title that you get for covering a certain distance. I mean,  if you finish a HITS full or a Rev Full are you gonna go out and get an M-dot tattoo? I wouldn't think so...

2012-01-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3994132

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
bcagle25 - 2012-01-16 11:05 PM

They are also dedicated not to have the spotlight on them for the duration of the race and no one to "show off" to. 

...says the guy with his Twitter handle and a link to his blog in his signature.

To the OP, I would not consider them an Ironman but doubt that person gives a red rats a$$ what I think of what they did on there[sic] own.

2012-01-17 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
WHO CARES
2012-01-17 10:03 AM

User image

New user
Cincinnati

Totally agree with the above. Who really cares? If you did it and consider yourself one, good for you.

2012-01-17 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3994803

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
mrbbrad - 2012-01-17 9:58 AM
bcagle25 - 2012-01-16 11:05 PM

They are also dedicated not to have the spotlight on them for the duration of the race and no one to "show off" to. 

...says the guy with his Twitter handle and a link to his blog in his signature.

To the OP, I would not consider them an Ironman but doubt that person gives a red rats a$$ what I think of what they did on there[sic] own.

...so sharing my blog with others and linking my twitter to connect with other triathletes is showing off? If I were blogging to show off then I am doing it for the wrong reason.

As for my comments that are quoted, I guess that I may have choosen the wrong words to pick, but I believe that a few ironman competitors feel a sense of "I did an Ironman, what have you done lately?"

As for the original question, if you don't want to spend a large amount of money to register but still want to do an ironman, I say go for it. Why not? A guy in Texas does a self-supported ironman every fall to raise money for charity.

2012-01-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3994802

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
GoodStash - 2012-01-17 9:58 AM

rnner66 - 2012-01-17 7:46 AM So those of you that are saying no, do we say no to those military members that run certain Marathon events over in Iraq or Afghanistan rather than at the actual race site here in the states? (Did that make sense?) I know they get the same medals, etc. as the finishers at the real race site.

Well, no..."Marathon" is a distance, "Ironman" is an event. Ironman is just a company who puts on races. They have their half events, their 5150 events, and their fulls. They're the one who have decided that you are called an Ironman after doing their full. I think it is just as complimentary to say that you're capable of doing a full Ironman without calling you an "Ironman". It's a brand, it's not a ranking system or a title that you get for covering a certain distance. I mean,  if you finish a HITS full or a Rev Full are you gonna go out and get an M-dot tattoo? I wouldn't think so...

Don't hijack this thread.  That a whole controversial thread in and of itself.

2012-01-17 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Your question specifically asked "would YOU consider them an ironman".  I would not.  Nor would I consider someone a marathoner who has never run an organized marathon even. 

We tend to lose sight of the fact that ironman is a RACE!  Did you compete in the an ironman race?  Not if you are doing it solo. 

Also, part of the ironman challenge includes:

1.  dealing with stress

2.  pre-race jitters

3.  aid stations that ran dry

4.  getting kicked in the face and losing your goggles

5.  someone passing you and then slowing down on the bike forcing you to speed up and overtake him, slow down to keep your distance or get a penalty for drafting

6.  living with the rules of no headphones

7.  dealing with crowded T1/T2 tents

Anyone can call themselves anything they want to call themselves.  People play 1 round of golf and call themselves a golfer or finish one triathlon and call themselves a triathlete the rest of their lives. 

Ask yourself what matter more, how I view myself or how others view me?  I have found the older I get the less I care about the latter and the more the former.

2012-01-17 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3994851

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Rogillio - 2012-01-17 10:10 AM

Your question specifically asked "would YOU consider them an ironman".  I would not.  Nor would I consider someone a marathoner who has never run an organized marathon even. 

We tend to lose sight of the fact that ironman is a RACE!  Did you compete in the an ironman race?  Not if you are doing it solo. 

1.  dealing with stress - no stress racing on your own?

2.  pre-race jitters - no pre-race jitters just bc you are racing on your own?

3.  aid stations that ran dry - managing your own add stations for 140.6 miles is easier?

4.  getting kicked in the face and losing your goggles, How many times does this really happen? I have more problems with my goggles leaking on their own then being kicked in the face. Maybe I have been lucky to avoid contact in open water in the 15+ races that I have done.

5.  someone passing you and then slowing down on the bike forcing you to speed up and overtake him, slow down to keep your distance or get a penalty for drafting - Ride your bike with open roads for 112 miles and tell me which you prefer, I'll take the crowded bike course any day over the fear of being buzzed at 60 mph.

6.  living with the rules of no headphones - Yeah so you have the option of using headphones, but what you DO NOT have is support on the course.

7.  dealing with crowded T1/T2 tents - Race faster next time Wink

Anyone can call themselves anything they want to call themselves.  People play 1 round of golf and call themselves a golfer or finish one triathlon and call themselves a triathlete the rest of their lives. 

Ask yourself what matter more, how I view myself or how others view me?  I have found the older I get the less I care about the latter and the more the former.

If you are doing this for the reason of how others view you, you might be in it for the wrong reason, but that is just my thoughts. To each their own, and everyone has their reasons to race.

...enough of this silly talk for one day now.

2012-01-17 10:30 AM

User image

jaelinfunk - 2012-01-16 9:22 PM

if someone did a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and ran a marathon in one day, on there own (not in the race or an event) but under the 17hour mark would YOU consider them an ironman?

No.

2012-01-17 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3994872

User image

Champion
Alabama
bcagle25 - 2012-01-17 10:20 AM
Rogillio - 2012-01-17 10:10 AM

1.  dealing with stress - no stress racing on your own?  Been training for 15 years and never once stressed out about a training run/ride/swim.  :-)

2.  pre-race jitters - no pre-race jitters just bc you are racing on your own?  None.  Why would you stress or be nervous?  If it doesn't happen or you have 3 flats, no big deal.  Try again tomorrow.  You are not out entry fee, hotel fee plus and the risk of not getting into the race....not to mention you will have to wait a YEAR before you can race this race again.

3.  aid stations that ran dry - managing your own add stations for 140.6 miles is easier?  Yes, it is only stocked with food and drink that I like and I know are not going to give me GI issues.

4.  getting kicked in the face and losing your goggles, How many times does this really happen? I have more problems with my goggles leaking on their own then being kicked in the face. Maybe I have been lucky to avoid contact in open water in the 15+ races that I have done.  Sometimes it happens, most of the time it does not.  Why? Because I try to swim clear of other swimmers. I speed up or slow down or move to the left or right to stay our of people's way and avoid getting kicked or swam over.

5.  someone passing you and then slowing down on the bike forcing you to speed up and overtake him, slow down to keep your distance or get a penalty for drafting - Ride your bike with open roads for 112 miles and tell me which you prefer, I'll take the crowded bike course any day over the fear of being buzzed at 60 mph.  Actually agree with this one.  :-)

6.  living with the rules of no headphones - Yeah so you have the option of using headphones, but what you DO NOT have is support on the course.  This one too.

7.  dealing with crowded T1/T2 tents - Race faster next time Wink

If you are doing this for the reason of how others view you, you might be in it for the wrong reason, but that is just my thoughts. If you are not, then why the question of whether or not other people think of you as an ironman?  To each their own, and everyone has their reasons to race.

...enough of this silly talk for one day now.  You can never have enough silly talk......

2012-01-17 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

jaelinfunk - 2012-01-16 8:22 PM if someone did a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and ran a marathon in one day, on there own (not in the race or an event) but under the 17hour mark would YOU consider them an ironman?

will there be a gift shop so you can dress one self in the proper Ironman fashion.

at least you can get whatever tat you what and say it's from your own race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what it means to be an ironman Rss Feed  

of 8