General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Joe Friel's "Big Days". Do you do them? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-17 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Subject: Joe Friel's "Big Days". Do you do them?

Have you included these "Big Day" workouts into your IM training and what are your thoughts?

• 1-hour swim
  • 90-min break
  • 5-hour bike
  • 90-min break
  • 2-hour run

snipped from Friel ...

You get out of bed at the same time you plan to do it on race day. Assuming a 7:00 a.m. race start that should be no later than 4:30 a.m. Have breakfast just as you will do on race day. Eat the same foods and the same amounts as you have planned. At 7:00 a.m. start the swim portion of the workout. This is a one-hour session in which you swim at race effort. This may be broken into 500-yard/meter segments or done non-stop. If on race day you will wear a wetsuit also wear it for this swim. If you plan to start fast on race day to get good positioning then do the same today. Do everything as closely as you can to your plans for race day.

After the swim take a 90-minute break. Eat a very light meal and stay off of your legs as much as possible.

After the break start a five-hour bike ride. This should be done at the heart rate, power or effort at which you will race the Ironman. Use the same bike equipment you will use on race day. This includes clothing, shoes, helmet, wheels and anything else you will race with. Drink when thirsty throughout the ride. Take in calories as planned for the race. Pay close attention to how you feel. Stay in the moment as much as possible. Your mind will wander quite a bit. That’s to be expected. But when you become aware of this happening refocus your attention on how you are feeling and your pacing control. Frequently run a mental checklist: Am I thirsty? Do I need calories? How’s my stomach? How’s my breathing? Am I pacing properly? Are my legs strong? You might even consider taping these questions to your handlebars to help you stay focused on what’s important.

After the five-hour ride take another 90-minute break. During this time get off of your legs and eat a light, mostly liquid meal.

Then start a two-hour run. Wear the same type of clothes and the same shoes as planned for the race. Don’t do the run in the shirt, shorts or socks you rode in as they will be soiled and might give you a rash or infection. Wear the same running shoes as on race day along with anything else you have planned such as a hat and sunglasses. For this run it’s a good idea to wear a holster belt with fluids and/or the fuel you will use. Or consider planning your route so that you frequently come back past a location where you have fluids and fuel stored.

2012-01-17 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3995014

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Joe Friel's "Big Days". Do you do them?
Gritty - 2012-01-17 11:11 AM

Have you included these "Big Day" workouts into your IM training and what are your thoughts?

• 1-hour swim
  • 90-min break
  • 5-hour bike
  • 90-min break

At this point, about 15 minutes into my 90 minute break I will have fallen asleep and missed the run.

2012-01-17 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN

I've never done this but it sounds like a tough workout.  I'd love to hear what others think about the idea...

I also agree with the person who said they'd fall asleep after the bike! 

2012-01-17 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3995106

User image

Master

No offense to Joe Friel, but I have a spouse who trains and kids I want to hang out with, so a day in which I work out 3x but do not brick the workouts together is not going to happen unless DH and I are on vacation together without the kids.

I do a long or days (90-100 mile bike + 9 mile run) to test my race-day plan (nutrition/pacing/etc) but do not add the swim.  I have done swim/long run days in the past when it fit in my schedule, but swimming is easiest for me to do at an easy pace (I train for and race a 5k swim every year) so I don't sweat it for my race-day execution workout.

DH does think the 5K swim + 56 mile bike ride is also a good workout but I'm not sold on that either.  I think the 90/9 gives me the best bang for my buck.

2012-01-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3995176

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Mrs. brown_dog_us - 2012-01-17 12:20 PM

No offense to Joe Friel, but I have a spouse who trains and kids I want to hang out with, so a day in which I work out 3x but do not brick the workouts together is not going to happen unless DH and I are on vacation together without the kids.

I do a long or days (90-100 mile bike + 9 mile run) to test my race-day plan (nutrition/pacing/etc) but do not add the swim.  I have done swim/long run days in the past when it fit in my schedule, but swimming is easiest for me to do at an easy pace (I train for and race a 5k swim every year) so I don't sweat it for my race-day execution workout.

DH does think the 5K swim + 56 mile bike ride is also a good workout but I'm not sold on that either.  I think the 90/9 gives me the best bang for my buck.

Those are good points.

I should have added that Friel recommends these only twice.  But still, the time commitment is great.  I also have a spouse who races and trains but luckily her IM is in June while mine is in September so we won't overlap too much.  But I hear you. 

About the swim/bike brick, Jordan Rapp recently posted on ST that he thinks the swim/bike brick is probably the most under-appreciated workout in the sport. 

Edited by Gritty 2012-01-17 12:47 PM
2012-01-17 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3995257

Master
Northern IL
Yes, I've seen that posted before too. I think the reasoning has to do with getting the feel for how much swimming takes out of you than transitioning from swim to bike. More so with long course, that matters more than most people getting into it usually think.

2012-01-17 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

I have this as part of my plan for my IM in November.  You are right that Friel has two of these.   They are part of what he says are the crucial long work outs in the 9 weeks leading up to the taper.  (I think its 9 weeks), in addition to the two big days, he advocates 5 long rides, 4 long runs, and 6-7 long swims (IIRC).   

I am going to try the big days leading up to my B+ priority HIM in June, to see how my body responds to it.  Benefit to my family is that Sunday will be an off day, if I'm conscious enough to spend it with them.  But, I really like the idea of trying to approximate, as best as possible, what the IM day might feel like.  I know I can't really get the feel of an IM, but this sounds like its a good prep.

2012-01-17 1:47 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Al

My wife and I do a similar workout 3-4 times during an Ironman build-up. 

The morning starts with an hour OWS, then an imediate 5-6hr bike followed by an hour run. 

The first time I did this, I wound up under a shade tree waiting on SAG at mile 2 of the run.  The next time I did it, I pampered the bike too much and was a beast on the run.  My final go of it, I hit everything about right and was confident in my race strategy.

I will do this same workout for IMFL 2012.

2012-01-17 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Gordo Byrn also recommends a couple of these workouts. Hearing it from 2 well respected coaches has me believing in it.
2012-01-17 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
I plan on doing them, however the swim will be in the pool. I'd like to do it in the open water, but not sure I can find an open water swim at 7am???
2012-01-17 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

Great feedback.  I liked the idea but wasn't sure.  I didn't do these during my first IM in 2010 so wasn't sure.  I suspect that it will remind me quickly how to pace the bike to avoid blowing up my run, which was my problem in 2010.

2012-01-17 4:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'd consider the recover cost of such a big day.  Plus there is a risk of injury.

Personally my body prefers to train consistently. When I do big volume increase over normal, I tend to get sick or takes awhile to recover.

2012-01-17 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia
I am very interested in doing this workout leading up to IMLOU this year.  I think it can make a difference.  Some good points about cons though.  Would be curious about more feedback from those who have had success at these though...
2012-01-17 6:15 PM

User image

What's the purpose of the exercise?  If it's only pacing and/or nutrition, there are less "costly" ways to go about it.   That workout would knock me out for a week, as it's practically IM distance save the run
2012-01-17 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3995928

User image

Veteran
KathyG - 2012-01-17 5:57 PM

I'd consider the recover cost of such a big day.  Plus there is a risk of injury.

+1

I think such a "Big Day" is a good idea for a first timer because it will give them real perspective on how long the 140.6 day will be.  I definitely agree with practicing the pre-race, same time of day, same breakfast, etc. and the whole day as a "dress rehearsal" with all the same equipment as race day.  

To practice dealing with race day anxiety, pack up all your gear for this "Big Day" practice and go stay in a cheap hotel the night before.  This will ensure you're obsessed enough and uncomfortable enough that either you won't get a decent nights sleep or you'll be practiced at dealing with how to get a decent nights sleep (earplugs, eyeshades, melatonin, warm milk, calm music, etc.).

To Kathy's point, I suggest doing this 2 months or more before race day.  I would shorten the T1 to 45 minutes.  You might also plan to go at zone 2 heart rate for the first half of the bike, then go at "race pace" (which in my case, for my first full, was zone 2).  You'll get the same "long day" experience, with a little less soreness in you legs.  I would shorten the 90 minute T2.  Why not brick it?  Why not do T2 at race pace?  Further, to reduce injury risk and recovery time, I suggest do the first hour of the run at an easy zone 2 pace, then ramp it up the last hour.  You can get 95% of the experience in 9 hours instead of 11.

Yes, setup your run to loop past your home or gym or car every 3 or 4 miles for refueling.  Running the same loop 4 to 6 times gets boring.  Maybe plan a North loop and a South loop and alternate.

I recommend keeping precise notes of what you ate and drank and when.  On review, calculate your calories per hour and ounces of liquid per hour intake.  If you cramp or bonk you'll need to know what you did to know how to improve on it.  Compare this Big Day workout temperature and humidity with your race day forecast, to adjust hydration as needed.

2012-01-17 6:43 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Endurace sport is much more about consistency than any one specific workout and for many athletes, this big day would be detrimental to their ability to be consistent. There are athletes for whom these workouts may be effective, but I would suggest they are the exception rather than the rule.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2012-01-17 6:43 PM

2012-01-17 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3996045

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-17 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3996069

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Fred D - 2012-01-17 8:44 PM

I may try this or something similar, probably slightly shorter run, but likely 5-6 weeks out.

I am curious what you would change? I think I have a good idea how you might modify it but curious as to how you might approach this workout.

I also believe that you may be one of the exceptions I mentioned above

Shane
2012-01-17 6:54 PM

Veteran

Re: 2 months out.  I thought for a first timer if such a Big Day gave them just one of any common minor issues - saddle sore, IT band pain, shin splints, foot blisters, very sore quads, GI issue - enough that they would loose a week of training, they'd still have time to get back into routine and try again 6 weeks out.  Or they may simply learn their bike pace is too hard or too easy, or their nutrition was inadequate, and want to change it on a second Big Day.

Shane, I agree consistency over a long time is key.  But if someone has never done more than 5 or 6 hours of anything in one day, I think doing a Big Day will benefit them mentally, build their patience.  And if their pace is reasonable it will benefit them physically.

Edited by AtlantaBill 2012-01-17 7:03 PM
2012-01-17 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3995257

Elite
Roswell, GA
Gritty - 2012-01-17 1:44 PM
Mrs. brown_dog_us - 2012-01-17 12:20 PM

Those are good points.

I should have added that Friel recommends these only twice.  But still, the time commitment is great.  I also have a spouse who races and trains but luckily her IM is in June while mine is in September so we won't overlap too much.  But I hear you. 

About the swim/bike brick, Jordan Rapp recently posted on ST that he thinks the swim/bike brick is probably the most under-appreciated workout in the sport. 

Just to clarify, I think the 90/9 brick is huge for a first timer or someone who struggles with pace or nutrition. There is a local 5k swim for $25 that finishes right where a 56mile route starts, and I think that is a great work out for people doing an ironman.
2012-01-17 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3996072

Edited by Fred D 2012-01-17 7:36 PM

2012-01-17 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3996080

Edited by Fred D 2012-01-17 7:47 PM
2012-01-17 8:27 PM

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

To give some additional context to what I said above about (the little) what I have read of Friel's plan, he assumes that the athlete has done at least a 9-12 week base period leading up to a 9 week build period before tapering for the IM.  The big days get sandwhiched between 5 long rides, 4 long runs, and 7 long swims, with other workouts filling out the weeks.  He also says to expect to take 5 days of active recovery after the big day work outs, of which he recommends 2 in that build period.  I've seen different articles with different timing for the big days.  One said 8 and 5 weeks out, the other 12 and 5 weeks out.  So there is the expectation that one would be coming into this build period with a very solid base, and would have had, and would continue to have, consistency in training.  For the long ride, he states 5-6 hours, and long run is 2.5-3. 

If I understand what he says correctly, the point of the long breaks is to give a simulation of the long day, without having to tax the body with a 4 hour run.

I do plan on doing these big days, but I'm not necessarily (i) and expert on them; or (ii) trying to defend their worth for all.  Just trying to provide more context for the plan in which they are included.

2012-01-17 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3996149

Master
Northern IL

Fred D - 2012-01-17 7:32 PM

The reason I'm interested in this is that I really do think our ability to take in nutrition and perform on the bike is more affected by the swim than we think.

I think so too, especially after a couple duathlons this summer. Best example, in two comparable sprints (One du, one tri) a 13 minute swim at moderate effort was more detrimental to the bike and run than a 21 minute run at threshold was.

2012-01-17 9:46 PM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I am with Fred on this one.  I've done 'big days' in the past (not exactly what has been posted, but similar) and I think there is some net benefit for those who can recover and continue training.  ('Can recover' is a big caveat of course.)  4-6 weeks out seems about right to me. The one part I haven't done in the past (but will this year) is including the swim.  I think Fred is dead on that the swim affects us in ways that cannot easily be simulated by other activities.  (In the past I've done these as run-bike-run.)  I would also not take so much time off between sessions (mostly for psychological and time management reasons -- it would take the whole day, and it would be very hard to get going again).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Joe Friel's "Big Days". Do you do them? Rss Feed  

of 2