General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learning the Flying Mount Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-19 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Learning the Flying Mount
Anybody have a strategy for learning and mastering the flying mount? I've practiced the move a few times on the grass only at the park and mostly I wind up landing on my saddle with a huge thud. I haven't found any YouTube videos or resources that explain how to do it in a way that works for me yet. It feels totally awkward and unnatural to me, but I'm determined to get it, if only to justify the new tri-specific shoes I just purchased. Answers that would be helpful would include whether or not you count your steps till you mount, how many steps you take, whether you draw a 'starting line', how many pedal strokes (if any) u take before getting a foot in a shoe, which shoe goes first. Answers that would not be helpful include, but are not limited to: 'wear red', 'do flip turns', 'HTFU'. Many Thanks.

2012-01-19 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4000179

Master
Subject: RE: Learning the Flying Mount

It seems impossibly difficult at first, but most folks can learn it and do it well after just one session of 1-2 hours. 

You can start by wearing running shoes so you're not clipped in.

- Roll bike, and learn to ride while standing on one pedal with other leg already dismounted. You're basically standing on one pedal.

- After you got that down, learn to ride while standing one that pedal but raising the loose leg horizontal. This is the hardest step and takes some practice. Took me 40 minutes to feel moderately comfortable with it.

- Next you're swinging the leg over and good to go. 

For the dismount, do it in reverse. Start seated, then stand on one pedal, one leg loose. Practice swinging the free leg (gradually) over to the other side of the bike. You may have to spend a lot of time just moving the free leg around and not over the wheel until you get the hang of standing on one pedal. 

When I started, it felt totally impossible. I couldn't even stand on one pedal. 2 hours later, I was flying on/off the bike, and 3 weeks later went from the slowest transition in my AG to the 2nd fastest in a big triathlon. 

Learning to run with the bike and steer it by the seat also helps a ton - probably saves more time than the dismount, imo. Once you get it down, you can literally run behind your bike, hand on the saddle, and weave it through traffic without touching the handlebars. I think this is a better skill to have than the flying mount/ dismount in terms of time savings.

2012-01-19 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran

I kind of have a hop while placing my right foot on the right pedal and lifting over

I took a peek on youtube for you and saw this one and he actually does a little hop as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6Pq6u3YUM

That's pretty much the routine i practiced -- right side, right foot, i look down at first to make sure my feet are on stable before pedaling.

when the shoes go in is different each race for me -- such as how busy the bike mount area is, where's the first hill, etc.

I do, however, leave my shoes permanently clipped into my bike all winter on the trainer, and i try to get better at getting my feet in and out of them each training session

cheers

2012-01-19 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I don't do a true 'flying' mount, per se.  I will run with my bike well past the crowds, then place left foot on top of left shoe (which has been rubber-banded in the 9'-oclock position). As I stand up on the pedal, I'll swing right leg over saddle/top tube and meet my right shoe at slightly past the 12'-oclock position.  With feet still on top of shoes, I'll pedal well down the road until I'm up to cruising speed, then insert feet into shoes (that have been liberally rubbed with body glide).  It may not be quite as fast as a flying mount, but there is more room for error without damaging any body parts. 

If you want to study YouTube videos, look for high level Cyclocross races- those folks have it mastered.

2012-01-19 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

I do the same as the others, put left foot on top of left shoe, do a couple of crow-hops and swing the right leg over - then the reverse for dismount.

The one thing you have to be careful of is not twisting your foot at all while you are standing on one leg on top of your shoe.  If you twist your foot the shoe could pop out and down you go.  I've seen it happen a couple of times at races and did it once myself on a training ride.

2012-01-19 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I just kinda run and jump on the bike throwing my right foot over. I focus on landing my thigh on the saddle instead of the groin.

2012-01-19 5:16 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Apparently it feels awkward and unnatural for a lot of people.  I guess I have just never been in a position where 5 seconds was worth it.  I do a flying dismount which is a lot easier but the mount is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJx-f_uuRrw&feature=related

2012-01-19 6:12 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You could look for some information on cyclocross mounts.....works well for tris as well.

Practicing on grass first is good.  Start just walking and do mount. Gradually go faster and faster.

Key is land on your thigh of the leg that is going over the bike on saddle not your privates.

2012-01-19 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4000350

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
JZig - 2012-01-19 5:50 PMI just kinda run and jump on the bike throwing my right foot over. I focus on landing my thigh on the saddle instead of the groin.
This^ land on inner thigh and commit to the jump. Most people's biggest mistakes come from not jumping high enough.
2012-01-20 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4000656

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
indianacyclist - 2012-01-19 7:47 PM

JZig - 2012-01-19 5:50 PMI just kinda run and jump on the bike throwing my right foot over. I focus on landing my thigh on the saddle instead of the groin.
This^ land on inner thigh and commit to the jump. Most people's biggest mistakes come from not jumping high enough.

Not really. most people's mistake is not jumping FAR enough when trying to mount at a jogging or running speed.

Try just walking through...it doesn't take very much Height...in fact, just a small toe off to swing the opposite leg over, aiming for the thigh adn sliding into the crotch.

but as you start to do it at a faster walk, then a jog, you need to include the forward component of the jump...not just jumping high. it's like a one-legged long jump. and yes, you have to commit to it. But don't commit until you've masted it without a hitch at a walkign speed.

I train & coach cyclocross as well, so this is a staple of early fall practice. It's fun and not too difficult when you master it.

Here are a couple videos from our warmup...we spend 20-30 minute or more just going aroudn in circles and practicing over & over& over& over. If you want to look as smooth as the cyclocross riders do, you've got to devote time to it as well. The videos may not look to exciting, but you get to see mount after mount after mount...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsoy1Asfpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2K4Hj4lhLs
2012-01-20 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4000199

User image

over a barrier
chrishayward - 2012-01-19 3:46 PM

I kind of have a hop while placing my right foot on the right pedal and lifting over

I took a peek on youtube for you and saw this one and he actually does a little hop as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6Pq6u3YUM

That's pretty much the routine i practiced -- right side, right foot, i look down at first to make sure my feet are on stable before pedaling.

when the shoes go in is different each race for me -- such as how busy the bike mount area is, where's the first hill, etc.

I do, however, leave my shoes permanently clipped into my bike all winter on the trainer, and i try to get better at getting my feet in and out of them each training session

cheers

I would recommend switching to the non-drive side for mounts and dismounts. Less likely to kick a chain off or impale yourself with the crank teeth.

Use one hand to control the top tube and one hand on the bars and use the saddle to had stability during the coast, keeping it in contract with your hip.

2012-01-20 10:21 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
2012-01-20 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4000212

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
jeffnboise - 2012-01-19 1:53 PM

I don't do a true 'flying' mount, per se.  I will run with my bike well past the crowds, then place left foot on top of left shoe (which has been rubber-banded in the 9'-oclock position). As I stand up on the pedal, I'll swing right leg over saddle/top tube and meet my right shoe at slightly past the 12'-oclock position.  With feet still on top of shoes, I'll pedal well down the road until I'm up to cruising speed, then insert feet into shoes (that have been liberally rubbed with body glide).  It may not be quite as fast as a flying mount, but there is more room for error without damaging any body parts. 

If you want to study YouTube videos, look for high level Cyclocross races- those folks have it mastered.

I do the one-footed mount as well (from the left side). It's just as fast as the true 'flying mount' (I've found it faster), safer, and easier. You can do the whole thing without slowing down from your running pace to accelerating when you step on top of the shoe and throw your leg over the bike.

The only thing you have to watch for are the people trying the flying mount in front of you who fail, and the people who run to the mount point only to stop, put a leg over, clip in, then slowly pedal away. I run my bike past them all, then do the mount.

2012-01-20 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Thigh on the saddle, when I finally got the guts to try it I couldn't believe how easy it was
2012-01-20 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4000395

User image

Champion
MA
popsracer - 2012-01-19 6:16 PM

Apparently it feels awkward and unnatural for a lot of people.  I guess I have just never been in a position where 5 seconds was worth it.  I do a flying dismount which is a lot easier but the mount is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJx-f_uuRrw&feature=related

Great video....how can all those ITU women be so bad at mounting their bikes...I counted at least 5 that fell or had signficant issues.

2012-01-20 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4000212

User image

Veteran
jeffnboise - 2012-01-19 4:53 PM

... run with my bike well past the crowds...

No rule requires you to mount at mount/dismount line.  Run past it and any other people who are pausing at the line to start, have some momentum before you mount.  Flying dismount, get into position while coasting 50 feet from the line, standing on one pedal, leg swung over, apply brakes just before the line, step off and jog.

For practicing, wear rubber sole shoes, which don't have a wide protruding edge.  Such as tennis shoes, keds, boat shoes (not running shoes).  Go to a parking lot which is flat to slightly sloped.  Enough slope that you can stand, put one foot on one pedal in the 6 o'clock position, push off with the other foot, and roll forward down slope very slowly, then swing your leg over.  Repeat this, exercise 1, several times from a standing start.

Exercise 2, repeat above a couple of times, but don't swing your leg over, just try to circle around.  This is fine tuning your low speed balance.  Use your brakes, push off with the loose foot like your riding a scooter.  "Play" with your bike like you did when you were a kid.

Exercise 3, repeat exercise 1 a couple of times from a walking start.  This should begin to feel comfortable.  Once you are pedaling, circle back to your same starting point, and do an ultra slow moving dismount: stand on one pedal, swing leg over, still coasting, apply brakes, step off at a walking pace.

Exercise 4, repeat the exercise from a walking start, going in a flat direction (not down slope), you have to push off a little on that last step.

Exercise 5, repeat the exercise walking faster.  

Exercise 6, repeat at a slow jog.  Once you've got the choreography down, this is actually easier because you have momentum, and you don't need to push off.

Finally, put on your bike shoes.  Start again with Exercise 1.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  

2012-01-20 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

I go with the flying dismount because it's pretty easy to do smoothly, but I've never tried to push for the flying mount. I use the approach others have mentioned by putting my left foot on top of my left shoe then swinging the right leg over while moving forward. I just haven't understood why saving a few seconds on a maneuver, such as the flying mount, is worth the risk of falling or hurting yourself and ruining your whole day. That being said, if I was 20 years younger, I'd probably be trying it. 

Brad

2012-01-20 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4000395

Veteran
Indiana
popsracer - 2012-01-19 6:16 PM

I was watching the Ironman world championship video on youtube the other night, and saw Chrissie Wellington jog her bike to the mount line, stop, and get on her bike just like a normal person. I realize that for Iron distance the 3 or 5 seconds is less an issue than a sprint. But it certainly made me feel a lot less urgent about learning this technique to see the most dominant triathlete in the world NOT doing it.

2012-01-20 9:09 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
There's a section at the end of this that you might or might not find useful.
2012-01-20 10:15 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

I never did a flying mount in a triathlon.  Then I did my first cyclocross race, and for some reason did my first flying mount in the middle of a race, without realizing what I was doing.  Now to see if I can apply that to my real races in 2012!

I think, as with anything, practice is the key here.  Do what comes most naturally.

2012-01-20 11:59 PM
in reply to: #4002504

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
citaltfort - 2012-01-20 5:46 PM

I go with the flying dismount because it's pretty easy to do smoothly, but I've never tried to push for the flying mount. I use the approach others have mentioned by putting my left foot on top of my left shoe then swinging the right leg over while moving forward. I just haven't understood why saving a few seconds on a maneuver, such as the flying mount, is worth the risk of falling or hurting yourself and ruining your whole day. That being said, if I was 20 years younger, I'd probably be trying it. 

Brad

If you feel like there is a risk then don't do it, because it won't go well. Practice it (if you want) on grass over and over and over again until it's 2nd nature.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learning the Flying Mount Rss Feed