General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shipping bike to Kona Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-11 11:54 AM

User image

Subject: Shipping bike to Kona

Does anyone have suggestions on the do's and/or dont's of shipping a bike to Kona?

I'm planning on using a box from the lbs and packing it myself and sending it to the lbs in Kona connected with the 1/2 IM.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

2006-05-11 12:22 PM
in reply to: #420953

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Shipping bike to Kona
crusevegas - 2006-05-11 11:54 AM

Does anyone have suggestions on the do's and/or dont's of shipping a bike to Kona?

I'm planning on using a box from the lbs and packing it myself and sending it to the lbs in Kona connected with the 1/2 IM.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

how much is that going to cost you? I was considering doing the same for FL 70.3 until I find out it was about the same price as flying it with me...
2006-05-11 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I am not expert... but I would think flying it would be 100 times safer. And if it costs the same, why not?

I wouldn't trust Fed Ex... or anyone else to ship my bike safely. I have heard horror stories of people shipping their bikes, only to have the bike damaged... and the shipping agent refusing to pay for the damage (even though insurance was purchased).

Just think... what if your bike doesn't make it... or it's damaged? Your IM in Kona is ruined. Not worth the risk.

2006-05-11 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
crusevegas - 2006-05-11 11:54 AM

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Be aware that there might be a bunch of people sending bikes prior to the event. You might actually be waiting for your bike to come on a further flight. I've been to Kona during the IM (as a spectator) with friends having bikes and none of them had problems nor paid fees for it (they had carrying cases in which you also put other stuff likes clothes, etc. so it was the main luggage...). We were on America Airlines.

If you're a first timer for travelling by plane with your bike, avoid the soft cardboard boxes as you have about 90% of chances that your bike's gonna be damaged. Get a good hard plastic case and put lots of stuff in it so it is so heavy that it can't be thrown by the airport staff...

Good luck !

Christian.
2006-05-11 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Man...I wish I actually had some information to help you.  But, alas, I'll probably never have to worry about that problem :-)
2006-05-11 1:15 PM
in reply to: #421027

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
There are a few companies that do it for you.

You take it to an authorized shop, they break it down and pack it, ship it, and then it is re-assembled and tuned when it arrives.

You walk in with the bike, hand it over, get to your event and pick it up at a shop just like it was never broken down ...

Can't remember what the companies are, but I have seen them advertised a few different times.

2006-05-11 5:50 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Not sure - but good luck in Kona!
2006-05-12 10:21 AM

User image

Thanks for the well wishes and responses.

It looks like Fed X is well over the $100 mark one way. I've shipped a bike to the main island and it was less than $60 bucks with UPS.

I'm not sure who has the highest percentage of lost/damaged packages between the airlines and the freight companies but here are my reasons for opting for the freight carriers. We are traveling non rev (space available for airline employees) from Las Vegas and will be taking two different airlines to get to Kona, the other option would be taking NorthWest from LV to Minneapolis then a flight back to the west coast then to Kona. That would entail either or both of the bike being handled more and me having to take it to and from the airports with 4 other bags as well. We are staying in Kona for a couple of weeks and doing some scuba divning so we are not traveling light to say the least.

I got the bike box yesterday and will contact the carriers to get firm prices for getting the bike to Kona, I'll let you know what I find out.

Have a great weekend!

2006-05-12 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

I've found DHL to be the cheapest shipping-wise for a bike.  Of course, going to/from Hawaii is a unique situation as there is no 'ground' option.  It has to go by air at some point ( or a really slooooow boat ).

-C 

2006-05-23 12:38 PM

User image

OK, the most stresfull part, at this point anyway is completed. I shipped the bike today FED X with my sweeties airline discount it came to $96.  UPS would have been $140, and the rep said when I took it in I had to have a check, no cc and it could not be a personal check, wasn't sure if cash was OK..... whatever....... My box was a bit heavy. When I got the bike broke down and into the carton the top tupe when the seat post goes was sticking out an inch out. I remedied this by getting another bike box and basically double boxing the bike and I put some old towels into the box and around the stuff inside. I am glad I did that should almost make it bullet proff..... I hope I don't eat those words.

My main reason for not wanting to take the bike on the plane is, ok 2 reasons, I don't want to carry it along with our other 4 bags to the airport plus carry on luggage, it would also require us to go to Minneapolis on the red eye Monday night instead of leaving here and flying straight to Seattle.

My final thoughts on this: If you are traveling by air to a triathlon and planning on an extended stay it's a PITA.

If you are going to pack a bike in a bike box here is a good resource.

http://bicyclehabitat.com/page.cfm?PageID=370

2006-06-12 10:37 PM
in reply to: #431616

User image

An update, my bike made it to Kona and back no problems, Fed-X both ways. Total cost about $180.  US that includes $20 for the Kona Bike shop to accept it.

A friend of mine took her bike on the plane with her, they inspected it at the airport on the way out of town and damaged her derailier, she was able to use it in the race. When she got back to Vegas, her bike was unaccounted for.  I think the airline caps lugage @ $1,600 US, I don't know if that holds true for bikes since they charge like $80 each way.

Have a good season!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shipping bike to Kona Rss Feed