General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-05-28 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4231849

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course : Official Thread
rottieguy - 2012-05-28 9:45 AM

Socks, I just made a small donation to your cause so now you have to race Laughing

Kevin, thanks for the info.  Just hate being so far from the truck in case weather turns south.

Thank you so much!! I was wondering who that was!!  Hopefully I will get to meet you in 2 weeks

2012-05-29 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4039396

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
YAY I get to race.  Its been a lean few seasons with no races where I live now.  I miss racing!!
2012-05-30 3:01 PM

New user

I am doing the Grand Rapids half ironman and have only ever done one tri before (a sprint), so I am freaking out a little bit as things get closer.  A few questions:

What type of surface is the run and can it be biked the day before?  Is the run course confusing as to which way you go, since it is not the same for each loop?

Has anyone raced while wearing a camelback before?  I tend to not drink enough on long rides and need to figure out a way to make myself drink more.

Thanks for any help you all can give!

2012-05-30 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I train often with my Camelbak on both the bike and run, but never have raced with one before and try to live off the course when possible.  I use Infinit which I can concentrate and use one bottle for that and an aero drink in between the aero bars for water.   When needed I hit an aid station just for water on the bike refill the aero drink and pitch the bottle quickly.  Aid stations are listed as being every 15 miles on the bike and will have Heed and water (doesn't look like any gels).  I carry a gel and Cliff bar in a bento type box too in case I feel like I need something else.

I may bring my Nathan fuel belt for the run, which I've never done before so I can carry some Infinit with me since I despise Heed and seems like every Iron distance race I've done uses Heed.  This may depend on the heat and humidity of the day. 

Can't comment on the course but plan on driving it a bit on Saturday to get an idea of what to expect if I have time.  

Edited by rottieguy 2012-05-30 4:03 PM
2012-05-30 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4233307

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Socks - 2012-05-29 12:06 PM YAY I get to race.  Its been a lean few seasons with no races where I live now.  I miss racing!!

I understand the feeling.  Crashed at the Mountain Mayhem last year and separated my shoulder so I haven't raced since a half at Tawas in Sept 2010.  I'm really looking forward to GR.

Having to sherpa for my wife and daughters at Hawk Island this coming Sunday will really get me geeked up!

2012-05-30 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4235894

Regular

The run course is on an asphalt road for the most part. There is a little bit (1/2 mile or so) of hard park dirt at the turn around for the 2nd loop (in the light blue color on the map) and possibly a bit near the south turnaround. They changed the course from last year just slightly at the south turnaround and it is definitely for the better. It removes the worst of the hills from the course with the new route, but I'm not sure if there is dirt roads there or not. There are still a couple of rollers, but nothing too bad.

The course shouldn't be too confusing. I actually just looked at the map and the map makes it look more confusing than it really is.  It is really just a double loop, but instead of just going around a cone and doing a 180 at the north end, you veer off through a nice shaded park before starting the second loop. This is where the hard pack dirt is. Even though it was a short distance, I really liked this part of the course.  Last year they had great volunteers at the turnaround directing traffic so just keep your eyes and ears open as you head north and you should be all set.

As to whether or not you can bike it, you should be able to. I ride that portion of Thornapple River drive quite often. There is a bike path along the road if you want to avoid the traffic, but the bike path is actually hillier than the road so don't be intimidated if you ride there. Also, the bike path jumps back and forth to each side of the road which is why I normally just stick to the road. Traffic isn't too bad especially if you avoid rush hour.

No experience with a Camelbak. I can carry 3 bottles on my bike. I usually start with 2 full and then swap out with whatever is on the course as I move along. I just try and put down a full bottle (or even a bit more than a bottle) every hour and I am good to go. I have a handheld that I might bring on the run depending on the weather.

2012-05-30 7:07 PM

New user

Thank you all so much for the advice.  I had a horrible run portion of a brick workout today and it is making me stress a bit.  I appreciate all your help!

2012-05-30 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

Taper, be fresh and rested, and you'll be fine!  (That's what I'm telling myself, anyways).

I'm officially in for the half!  My first (and second tri).  Very excited!

2012-05-31 5:08 AM
in reply to: #4235993

Regular
I checked with the GR Tri and they are using Gatorade instead of Heed this year for liquid. They are still using Hammer brand gels though.  So, it will be Gatorade and Water bottles on the bike leg.
2012-05-31 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
That's good news, I can easily go with Gatorade on the run.  Just assumed since that Hammer was listed on there site that it would be Heed.  Wish there web site had some of this basic info.  No issues with Hammer Gel but Heed is a vile liquid. JMHO.
2012-05-31 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4236705

Regular
rottieguy - 2012-05-31 8:20 AM Heed is a vile liquid. JMHO.
Agree 100%.

2012-05-31 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
I did the half last year. The routes were very well marked, I didn't have any issues. I rode the course on Sunday and it was really nice.

I have never worn a camel back, that seems like a lot of extra weight. I am looking forward to the race!
2012-05-31 8:18 PM

User image

in a van, down by the river
[email protected] - 2012-05-30 4:01 PM

I am doing the Grand Rapids half ironman and have only ever done one tri before (a sprint), so I am freaking out a little bit as things get closer

I'm in for the Half as well, ditto on 'only my second tri' and ditto on 'other one was a sptint', and ditto on 'freaking out a little bit.'

A week ago, I woulda said no problem, I'm ready.  Yesterday I was thinking about a downgrade to Olympic.  Today I decided I've completed the plan, checked the boxes, and I'm going to go for it hard.  I may fail.  So what.

Let's get on with it.    As a local, let me know if I can help in any way.

I've seen various (overly complex, lengthy, over-kill) nutrition plans for Half iron.  I'm a Gu gel user.  Not fussy on drinks.  My stomach is not sensitive.  

What are you experts doing for this race, based on what's available on-course and based on the nature of the course ?

2012-06-01 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4238226

Regular

I don't know if I would qualify myself as an "expert" - that sounds like a lot of responsibility. So I'll just go with "experienced."

If this is only your second tri and you are already thinking about nutrition, you are well ahead of the curve. It took a major bonk in my first 70.3 for me to realize that I might need a plan before race day.

If you are a Gu gel user, I would plan on bringing your own for the bike and run. They will have Hammer gel on the course, but not Gu. You can always risk trying the Hammer on race day, but obviously trying something new on race day usually is a bad idea.

It depends on the person, but you'll probably want to try and consume double your weight in calories per hour (150lb person = 300 calories per hour). This is just a rough starting point and might be too many calories, so adjust as you see fit.  

I believe that there are 160 calories in a 24oz sports bottle of Gatorade which I think is what they have on the course.  With that in mind, if you plan on drinking a bottle of Gatorade every hour and eating a Gu every 45 minutes or so, you would be pretty close to 300 calories per hour.  I'd plan on starting with a bottle or two of whatever sports drink you like most (maybe even something with a few more calories than Gatorade).  Then, you can ditch your empty bottle at an aid station and pick up a Gatorade to restock.  Just remember that whatever bottles you ditch at an aid station you won't get back.

As for the run, I tend to just live off the course.  I may carry a Gu with me to take at the halfway point, but for the most part I'll just take both water and Gatorade from each aid station. Cup of water, cup of Gatorade, and possibly a second cup of water to dump on my head if it is a warm day.

The course itself is very tame compared to other races I have done so I wouldn't worry about a super difficult course throwing a monkey wrench into your plan. There is really only one big hill on the bike and that isn't even as bad as the chip seal at the beginning and end of the course.

Good luck! You are going to do great!

2012-06-01 6:54 AM

Regular
Less than 50 spots left in the GR Tri! If you are still thinking about registering, now is the time to do it!
2012-06-01 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Everybody is different with nutrition but 300 cal/hr would definitely be on the high side especially on the run.  You may be able to stomach that on the bike.  I try to stay in the 200-250 cal/hr range on the bike and less on the run. 

This is my race nutrition plan - 158 lbs.

Gel - 15 minutes before swim

Bike - 550 calories Infinit supplementing with water

Run - 1 - 2 gels supplementing with gatorade and water at aid stations

That works for me. 

My advice for you folks doing your first HIM - be conservative on the bike!  It is very easy to overcook the bike and sabotage your run.  Just keep 13.1 mile run in the back of your mind on the bike.  Have fun!

2012-06-01 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

Got my new wetsuit today!

Hardly an expert (my first half, but I've done close to one on a training day (short 5 miles of run). 

McDonalds pancakes for breakfast a couple hours before go time.

pb&J as I start the bike

pb&j with an hour or so of bike left

gatorade - 1 bottle on the bike. perhaps 2.

Then gatorade/water on the run, with hammer gel near miles 2 and 8.  Backing off the gatorade depending on how the stomach feels.

2012-06-01 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4238622

User image

in a van, down by the river

just tons of great info here as always.  Kevin, thanks for that, it makes me feel better about my existing plan.  

By the way, we are neighbors, I'm the (eric on strava) guy who wrote you about your ridiculous Reeds Lake loop time (11:22 ?!?  WTF ?

Looking forward to a couple big bricks this weekend, then a few days to chill next week, as we lead up to my second tri-- and my first half - iron !

again, thanks for sharing your knowledge here Kevin.

2012-06-01 8:51 PM

New user

You all have been so helpful.  Thanks again.

What do all or your training plans look like for this next week before the race?  The plan I have seems pretty intense for a taper week and I don't want to kill myself. 

I am getting very excited and nervous!

Edited by [email protected] 2012-06-01 8:52 PM
2012-06-02 4:24 AM

User image

Expert

Just realized I started this post in February and have not been back.

Excited to Taper and thinking about Transitions.  1 1/2 to 2 hour ride tomorrow and then a bunch of easy stuff for my Taper.

I am staying in Ada the night before at my in-law's place.  Where should I park on race morning?  I cannot attend the pre-race and get my packet Saturday, so I have to get my stuff and get all set up on Sunday. 

Can't wait to see everyone in 8 days!!

2012-06-02 4:25 AM
in reply to: #4102192

User image

Expert
zoroya - 2012-03-18 11:23 PM

Hi folks, 

Like leftrunner said, I did Steelhead as my first 70.3 last year and it ended up being a $300 training brick with the swim being cancelled. This will be "first" 70.3 again (I couldn't find any 69.1 stickers). As well I'm excited to finally get the swim in.

So, from your posts this seems like a great course. 

Here is a link for a sticker

http://www.cafepress.com/+691_sticker_oval,282376688

In 8 days I will cover mine up with a 70.3! 

2012-06-04 2:35 PM

User image

Munhall, Pa
Ha, That's awesome!
2012-06-04 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4240430

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
leftrunner - 2012-06-02 5:24 AM

Where should I park on race morning?  I cannot attend the pre-race and get my packet Saturday, so I have to get my stuff and get all set up on Sunday. 

There's  a link on the site to a parking map and how the shuttles work:

http://www.grandrapidstriathlon.com/parking.php

Figure I may just carry my tri bag and walk the bike to transition.  Then use the shuttle to go back to the truck if I need to return.  Someone mentioned a drop off area for equipment but not sure how well things are watched so I'm a little leery to leave my stuff.

2012-06-04 6:01 PM

Regular
I just remembered something on my run today. Bring bug spray to the race! It might not be as bad as last year now that the transition area has moved, but the mosquitoes were out in full force last year as everyone was setting up transition.  They had a few bottles of bug spray for people to use but they were in high demand. I'll be packing my own this year just in case.
2012-06-05 6:55 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

Thanks for THAT tip!  I hate mosquitos!  Getting a little nervous about the forecasted heat...Haven't had a lot of very hot weather to acclimate.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4