Firm
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Picked up Marsha, loaded her bike, stopped for coffee. I brought toast with peanut butter, but just didn't feel very hungry. Coffee tasted good. Got to the race site and transition was not set-up, no one had their bikes off their cars and it was already 7am. Naturally, we started to wonder if it was going to be cancelled due to weather. I guess they finally decided it was a go, (assuredly not based on the weather letting up). It was torrential pouring rain all day, and chilly!

Saw Joanne (tri_again) and Joe (ontherun) BT'ers. Joe helped me with my garbage bags (water proofing).
Event warmup:

Stretched, a couple of tiny squirts of gel, sips of water. It was a staggered start in the pool, therefore I had ALOT of waiting around. Racers were coming in before I had even gone out on the swim.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't race when I swim, I just swim a relaxed swim. I like it, but if I plan to take things up a notch...i'll have to put the motor on.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself sooner. In spite of being fine speed-wise, its just damn depressing to see folks driving home with their bikes mounted and i'm not done with my bike ride yet.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It was hard running out of the pool into the cold pouring rain. Bike was soaking wet, clothes were in garbage bags with pools of rain on top. I had a towel in one, and dried off (in the rain?). I put two long sleeve shirts on and a windbreaker water proof pullover. Also I threw on capri tights, (which only got soaked with water and felt awful).

Better dress. I saw a woman on the road with water-proof pants and a GREAT jacket!! I was jealous.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 7 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel like my bike is not suited for me, or me for my bike. I love the gear shifting, easy and makes sense to me. I love the aero bars, although I didn't use them today for some reason. I think with the roads so slippery, i didn't feel 'lets get aero', but more of the 'lets stay poised for circumstance'. Overall, I felt like I was a kid on a tricycle trying to make it do something it can't. Yes, definetly its probably 80% rider power, technique...but still theres something to this. (yeah right, nikki). I want big wheels! (whining).

I think i need to go to Marsha's spinning classes on fridays!

(she came in first in her age group, and said to me "i was passing people like they were standing still")
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good grief. I couldn't make my fingers work. They were so cold and stiff from the ride. It was hard work getting bike shoes off and socks and sneakers on. I didn't want to drop my foot down with sock on either cuz then i'd be dropping it into the small lake my bike was parked in. It was tricky, but I finally got going and I was happy to be on my way to the run.

umm....a tent?
Run
  • 00m
  • 2.3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Since race number was near the end, when I was leaving for my run, lots and lots of people were done. Because of this, no one was paying attention to those of us leaving T2, and I didn't know where to go. I'm not even sure of there was an exit timing mat I missed. I asked some racers that were done where to go.

Wouldn't it be fun to have the slower racers go first? I know I know..we are so in the way of you elite's and fast ones.

The first mile was more about trying to loosen up, my leg muscles were cramping a bit from the battle of T2 and the bike. I went to a walk a couple of times to loosen and stretch...but then found a good pace to keep at for the rest of the run.

Maybe a quick stretch before heading out? Not sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Hot shower. I had this weird reaction as soon as the hot water hit my skin. I turned super red and super itchy!!

Event comments:

Well, i'm sure the weather was to blame for the late start, and that everyone scooted out of there pronto afterwards, but there really wasn't anything there to stay for, (although having real bathrooms and showers avaible was great).

It was definitely a grueling race because of weather...very uncomfortable. Never the less, another race done and of course a great experience, as always. You definetly feel like...if i can do this in these circumstances, I can do anything!! :)

Last updated: 2006-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
I don't know my times yet, they aren't posted and true to form, I forgot to look at my watch.
Suit:
Course: Eight lane pool, eight laps.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 07 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Two laps of 3.5 miles/each. Some rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 14
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 02.3 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Great flat course through some nice little paved trails.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-05-14 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Subject: Sudbury Spring Sprint Triathlon

2006-05-14 9:29 PM
in reply to: #423519

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Sudbury Spring Sprint Triathlon
Hats off to you racing in the rain.  Would like to see some numbers 
2006-05-14 9:50 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

It was nice to meet you, although breifly. The late start had a lot to do with the Firm RV getting stuck in the mud for over 1/2 hour aroun 6 AM Was kind of funny to watch. Tryed to watch you cross the finish line, but I have trouble remembering faces especialy with out my glasses on. Glad you did ok and had a decent time. Now all other races will be easy

2006-05-14 9:50 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

It was nice to meet you, although breifly. The late start had a lot to do with the Firm RV getting stuck in the mud for over 1/2 hour aroun 6 AM Was kind of funny to watch. Tryed to watch you cross the finish line, but I have trouble remembering faces especialy with out my glasses on. Glad you did ok and had a decent time. Now all other races will be easy

2006-05-15 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice Race....be proud of getting out there in wicked nasty weather. 

Crappy weather!

You did good and it stinks there was confusion on the run.

Next tri will be better under any weather circumstances. I was thinking about the race yesterday wondering how many no shows they would have. I think they screwed up my reg. and had me in for that race even though I didn't sign up for it but next weekend.

2006-05-15 10:31 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Wow - good for you for sticking it out in that horrible weather!

2006-05-15 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Great job on tackling the elements. Sorry that your T2 was messy, but you still finished strong.
2006-05-15 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Hey there --

It was great seeing you yesterday....that weather was a hoot, wasn't it? I, too felt itchy after the hot water hit my cold legs...must be  a temperature - circulation thing.

I didn't properly stretch afterwards and today I'm a bit sore, how about you?

2006-05-15 4:47 PM

User image

Buttercup

Dried off in the rain?

Sounds like some nasty, nasty weather. Great job on persevering. Did you have FUN?

Glad to see you back at it, Nikki! 

2006-05-16 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Pretty tough sticking out THOSE conditins Nikki- Good for you!! What a switch from marblehead! Congrats! Fan those feathers and be proud !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sudbury Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed