United States
80+F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 17s
Overall Rank = 165/739
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/63
Pre-race routine:

I want to post this first and foremost about a very sad death that took place. It broke my heart to read about it:

http://www.sgtri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136

The drive down to St. George ALONE was a long one (5 hours). I'd been out of town for the last couple of weeks, didn't get in until late the night before and had a good deal to take care of before being able to get on the road. Finally made it to Quail Creek reservoir by 7:30pm to get in ~20 minutes of OW warm up; didn't stop but to get a Whooper on the way down as to have some time to get the practice so I was hungry by the time I got to registration.

Made it to the Abbey Inn for registration around 9PM. Went to my hotel and checked in. Realized I'd forgotten my race belt and went back to the registration site to pick one up from one of the vendors. By now I was a more than a little H.T.G. (hungry, tired and grouchy - watch out!) Decided to settle on Village Inn for some chow and did the Lumberjack Slam finished around 10 p.m.. Headed to Albertsons to get some milk, oj and banana for my breakfast drink; picked up a couple of Myoplex shakes and back to the hotel. Had planned on replacing the wiring on my bike computer but it was late and decided it might take too long and wasn't worth the hassle not having it tested prior to the race. The good old Timex GPS on the arm would have to do. Repacked my transition bag; loaded the car except for my bike; drank a Myoplex shake and got in bed around midnight.

Woke up ~5:30 a.m. and I was not in the mood to race. It had been a hard, long drive down, I was a little bummin' because after having a great weekend last with my SO visiting family in GA we had some miscommunication and decided not to drive down together (along with my Mom who was also going to join us but did not). It shouldn't have been that big of deal but it ended up being one of those little bumps in the relationship road that can sometimes get bigger than they need to be. So my mind had been wrapped around this for a few days and most of the day previous and I woke up and had no desire to race and seriously thought about getting in the car and driving home.

But I decided to get my butt up and come down to do what I came to do.

Still it was a bummer heading over there, getting set up, and waiting around watching everyone with friends and family. This was the first race where I hadn't either with me or anyone I knew who was racing. I thought this might be a good thing to keep me focused on the race but realized that the camaraderie, friendship, and personal element make races as enjoyable as anything about this sport itself.

Still I was determined to put out a solid effort and make it a good experience.
Event warmup:

10 minutes of light jogging with a few short sprints. Bike from car to transition area ~1 mile. No swim warm up which was a mistake. Spent some time listening to MP3 player (I almost called it a Walkman)! This helped keep my HR down before the race and stay relaxed.
Swim
  • 18m 15s
  • 766 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a long wait to the swim. Waves started at 8:15am and mine didn't get off until ~10am. I feel bad for those who had to wait even longer. Sitting in hot sun in wet-suit waiting and waiting. (Not enough volunteers for swim safety). However, I was able to keep relaxed and found a nice spot to sit on a rock while most everyone else stood around. Anyone ever see "The Right Stuff" where one of the astronauts are waiting for take off which continues to be delayed. Yeah, I was relaxed. ;)

I wanted to stay relaxed as possible before and during the swim and focus on doing the distance. My first OWS last fall was a tough experience; very overwhelming. This went much better. Certainly not to potential, I had to stop and backstroke a couple of times; form was shot; and sighting (although better last OWS) was still poor (added at least an extra ~120 yds) But I'm going to chalk it all up to being so uncomfortable out there. When I get as comfortable swimming OW as in a pool that time will reduce dramatically. And this swim was a big-step in that direction. I can't wait to go back. And the overall time (though slow) destroys my last OWS time.

So the swim went well as far as goals were concerned but certainly not up to potential. This is good news for USG race down there next month.

What would you do differently?:

Focus on form and swimming OW like I do in the pool. I wasn't aggressive. Too concerned about getting winded and it killed my form which caused me to have to swim harder which got me winded. Basically more work to go slower.

Also do a better job of spotting. I have a tough time with this and tend to drift right (my breathing side). The last couple hundred yards I started using the sun as a guide and that helped a lot. If I can spot better and focus on good form it will reduce my time considerably. The distance LOOKS so much longer than a pool and that gets in my head a bit and becomes intimidating where it shouldn't be.

Also:

WARM UP. The OWS WU is more important to me than any other. Get in do some form work (catch, fist, bi-lat) as it makes a big difference in workouts it will make a big difference here.
Transition 1
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

Long couple of hundred yards from swim exit to transition area barefoot. Little slower than I like getting my shoes on. Still need to get new inserts for the shoes. However, I did make up a number of places in both TI and even more in T2.

Strap the bottom straps of my bike shoes before hand like I did last race. Still want to practice jump on bike transition.
Bike
  • 44m 46s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. I passed a lot of people and was only passed by a few of the OLYs and maybe a couple of sprinters. Considering I left T1 in 354/36 and got off the bike 171/24 I made up a lot of ground. And I was ready for the climb. I pounded it out. Chain came off about 1/3 right before it got the steepest up. I handled it quickly though it took away some momentum.

I could have pushed harder on the last half and probably came out a little strong before the hill and first getting on the bike. But it is also where I passed a LOT of people. Had my bike computer been functioning I'm sure I would have pushed myself harder on the back half. Having the computer makes a difference. It was difficult to follow avg speed on my watch. I didn't push quite as hard because I wanted to save my legs for the run and I was passing so many others. But I think +20 mph avg is very doable next month.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Good transition. Got shoes unlatched while on bike.

Work on a gold medal dismount.
Run
  • 29m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

You can't take this run on the pace time. This was tough. The strides work paid off here. My leg strength helped substansially. From T2 I lost 2 places in AG and 15 overall. Which wasn't bad for me. And I had a very strong sprint the last couple of hundered yards where I passed another 10 or so people at least. Still I would have like to done better.

I started off too fast. The first half mile or so was at a sub 7'30" pace on pavement and downhill. By the time I hit the trail my HR was up too high and I couldn't hold long at all and had to walk a little. Walked briefly 3 or four times on some of the steep climbs and slow downs through water stations. I wasn't alone.

My pacing on the 5K at Alta was excelent. I need to take the same approach. It keeps the momentum building and makes for a stronger race.
Post race
Warm down:

Ever see 'Chrstmas Story' where the kid sticks his tounge on the pole in the middle of a cold winter. Don't stick a freezing cold popsicle in your hot dry mouth until you've gotten it to cool down a little . . .

Lots of water, bannana, orange slices, little stretching. Bike ride back to car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A lot of travelling the week prior. Driving down alone the day before. I was worn out. Some personal stress and mental fatigue. But I was able to put it all aside and have a focused race.

The swim is where there is obviously the most room for improvement. My AG overall time was 22 minutes back. Take out the swim and I am only 7 minutes back from AG leader . . .

Lastly, pay attention and get my split times with my watch. I didn't do a very good job again this race. I focus on racing and forget about timing myself.

Event comments:

This race is close to being amazing -- especially if you like a challenging course. Unfortunately what held organizers back were the number of volunteers. This really hurt the swim wave. Parking was also a hassle but not much you can do there. Not quite as organized as Utah Tri races (I think it is great how they call out finisher names as they cross the finish) but still good. There were a lot of participants and spectators. Since the race is getting some national recognition hopefully it will continue to improve and I overheard people saying this race was an improvement over last year.

A lot of people didn't like the trail run but I thought it was a great challenge. I understand it is not a part of USG next month however. The bike is also a good challenging ride.

Nice finisher medal for everyone and the long-sleeve breathable T shirt is great with pin stripes on the sleeve and a killer logo (that I didn't know if I liked at first but ends up looking very cool).

Good race. Just wish I could have enjoyed it with some friends for family. Don't drive down and back alone!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:15 | 766 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/63
Overall: 391/739
Performance: Average
Suit: QR
Course: Enter water at dirt boat ramp for a wade start. ~150 yds straight out 45 degree left around buoy 500 yds to next bouy; 45 degree right around another buoy and into and out of the lake at the cement boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:48
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:46 | 14 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/63
Overall: 171/739
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Out and back. Beautiful ride. No traffic which was great. ~350 foot climb over 1 mile is the part of this course that stands out and gets a lot of talk. A number of people had to get off the bike and walk it. Not an easy climb.
Road: Rough  Cadence: n/a
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:38 | 03.11 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/63
Overall: 177/739
Course: Dirt and sand trail running. This was not merely a washboard track as expected. A challenging run. Lots of sand 2-5 inches deep with a few short steep climbs and a lot of uphill slope.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: SGTRI - Sprint

2006-05-15 4:33 PM
in reply to: #424303

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: SGTRI - Sprint
Nice race man. You gotta feel for the family of the man who died -- glad to hear a fund has been set up.

What is next on the schedule?

Mike
2006-05-15 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Utah

Thanks for posting your race report.  I am so sorry to hear about Mr. Eborn's death and am glad there is a fund being set up.

It sounds as though you were able to stay mentally focused even though you had other things on your mind.  I think that is a good skill to hone.

I appreciated your comments about racing "alone".  I have debated on whether or not to have the troops come to Spudman with me.  Your perspective is very helpful.

Congrats on a good race!

2006-05-16 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Great job on not fighting the "getting down" because no one there with you.  Wanted to do that race, but alas, didn't do the registration thing in time --- dumb me.....

Great insights on how you did.  Self Analysis is always a good thing.

Now, all that said -- CONGRATULATIONS on a great race -- Keep it up.

2006-05-16 12:10 PM
in reply to: #425026

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks! It was a really good race. 

Going alone would not have been as big deal if it was planned and prepared as such. Especially after being out of town for a couple of weeks, coming home, rushing to get errands taken care of and jumping in the car to drive down. It was supposed to be this 'fun' weekend and it turned into 'just' doing the race AND being concerned about what was going to happen with the SO. But it all worked out in the end. Great learning experience.

Awesome course though. Can't wait to go at it again next month. Was so ready to get out and race again I tried to sign up for Salem next week but it's sold out . . . I'm thinking it's time to get signed up for Jordanelle and Ogden now so as not to have to worry about it.

Edited by yojimbo 2006-05-16 12:10 PM
2006-05-16 12:12 PM
in reply to: #425176

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Come do the Saratoga Splash with us on June 10... You can do open water or pool swim.   Will likely be my first OWS race.  Then I'm doing Provo on June 24.  Should be fun, and much closer than St. George

2006-05-16 3:41 PM
in reply to: #425181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Saratoga is a possiblity. That would be a good brick before USG.  I thought Provo was the 17th?
2006-05-16 3:44 PM
in reply to: #425569

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

June 17th is the Telos Race in Benjamin

June 24th is Provo.

Side note -- you like your Hydrofull?   I tried one on today and thought it was great.   How is if for leakage, bouyancy, and flexibility??  (Isn't that the one with the Blue front?)

2006-05-16 4:10 PM
in reply to: #425573

User image

Extreme Veteran

Great suit. I'm happy with it. Flexibility is good for a suit with sleeves. I don't have any chaffing problems as some do around the neck line. Love the added buoyancy and I really need it. (If you get one with sleeves go with the mid-level models because there is more flex in the shoulders). However, I'd probably go sleeveless if I did it again. This last OW was the first time my shoulders didn't get overly tired. And the first couple of OWS it was really tough. You really feel the extra drag with the sleeves because of their added buoyancy. Foo raves about his sleeveless. To have the buoyancy and the full power of the arm stroke would be great. I might rent a sleevless to check out the difference for an upcoming race.

(Yup, the Hydrofull is the one with the blue 'super hero' front).

Did you see this?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by yojimbo 2006-05-16 4:11 PM

2006-05-17 12:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Great race Jim, especially considering how much you have been traveling recently. That's so sad about the guy that passed away. At least he was living in the moment I guess.

2006-05-17 11:04 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Great race!! Sounds like it was a tough course....  Running in sand doesn't sound like fun to me- glad you seemed to enjoy the pain   Good bike too... That climb sounds grueling- that would have kicked my butt!!  Nice job on the speed--  And as far as the swim goes, you did great.  I'm sure after you get a few under your belt they'll feel more natural and you'll stay comfortable.  I've got to say that I'm pretty nervous about the OWS and I imagine it is as you say quite a bit different than the pool.  I'm guessing I won't be quite as fast without my bottom line and edges to catch a breather on either...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SGTRI - Sprint Rss Feed