Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need help from the bat experts- softball that is....m Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-01 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: Need help from the bat experts- softball that is....m

Just wondering if any of you have any specific guidelines or recommendations for buying a fastpitch softball bat for a 9 yo girl. I have read and researched and like everything else there is tons of conflicting information. I even did one online bat match up, where you input height, weight, gender, type of pitch ( fast or slow), etc and then it gives you bat size and brand recommendation. But even that says a 29" bat is recommended unless you are shorter or taller than average for your team. If that's the case it says go up or down an inch. WTH- didn't I say it asked for height. My daughter is 4' 4" which is actually a little short compared to other kids her age. She weighs 85 pounds and had the second best batting average on her team last year, and third best in the league for her age group. That was with a cheap bat from Academy. She is a great base hitter and usually gets doubles. So we're looking for a bat to help her get her hits a little farther. We also don't want to spend a small fortune- this is for rec ball. We don't mind spending a couple bucks to get a slightly better bat but want to keep it under a hundred dollars.

Sooo any recommendations, experiences, must do's or don'ts of buying a fastpitch softball bat?

thanks so much,

Shelly

2012-03-01 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4075053

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Need help from the bat experts- softball that is....m

I just sent an e-mail to my sister.  My niece played from about 7 years old and now plays softball in college.  I will get back to you when she replies.

Ok, her reply was any of the major brands with a -10 drop.  Whatever the heck that means.

Edited by SGriepsma 2012-03-01 11:27 AM
2012-03-01 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

Drop refers to length of bat in inches minus weight in oz.  I remember hearing that some leagues/organizations may have started implementing rules on maximum allowable drop, so that might be something to look into.

I can't really remember what I was using at her age, but in my teen years (at 5'2 and 130+) I was using a 32" (-10) and 33" (-11) bat, both 22 oz.

2012-03-01 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

I don't know the rules for softball, but you might want to check so that she gets used to htting with a legal bat.  All high school aluminum bats will now have to be BBCOR compliant which is a drastic change.  I don't know if the same applies to softball.  There's a much smaller sweet spot and the feel is different with a BBCOR bat.

2012-03-01 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4075316

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Bigfuzzydoug - 2012-03-01 1:10 PM

I don't know the rules for softball, but you might want to check so that she gets used to htting with a legal bat.  All high school aluminum bats will now have to be BBCOR compliant which is a drastic change.  I don't know if the same applies to softball.  There's a much smaller sweet spot and the feel is different with a BBCOR bat.

This is basically what I was going to say.  I know for the adult leagues I play in, all bats have to be ASA approved and not on the banned bats list - and the umps check the bat bags before every game.  I don't know about kids' leagues, but would imagine that they would have similar rules.  It will be very important for you to check these things before making any purchases, as the consequences for getting caught with an illegal bat can be pretty severe (depending on the timing/ump/league/tournament).

2012-03-01 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Find out the league she is in and what is being used.  From an old coach, I have very good hitting girls that can hit with three or four different bats with the same length/weight.  It is more about the proper bat size for the person, and then the proper hitting technique.  Once they are a little older you can take them to a hitting coach, just like you can a pitching coach and they will work on many different things to make them stronger and work on bat speed. 

Buy what is legal and keep checking on the legal bats.  We used to check bats at every tournament, and as an umpire, we did the same thing even at the younger ages to make sure they were all following the rules.

Good luck and have fun with the sport.  Both of my daughters played, and we spent many hours watching softball.

2012-03-02 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

I coached softball for years.  I've always felt like picking a bat size using those tables was like sizing a bike based on your height.  It may work sometimes, but.......    I've found that  the best way to size bats for youth softball is as follows:

-  Length - Have hitter stand with arm down the her side, and palm facing down.  The bat length should go from ground to just touching the palm.

-  Weight - Have her hold the bat with one hand near the knob out to the side with arm and bat parallel to the ground.  Correct weight is the heaviest bat she can hold like this for 10 seconds.

As far as quality goes, you usually get what you pay for.  The best value is to buy previous year's models (like bike shopping).  However, this is when it is important to know which bats are legal.   http://www.asasoftball.com/about/certified_equipment.asp

Also, as a hitting coach, I've always thought that investment in technique outweighed money spent on a bat.  Here is a list of three widely accepted hitting models dominating women's softball today at all levels (youth nationals and Women's College World Series)

http://www.englishbeyhitting.com/  Best - dvd series

http://www.rightviewpro.com/products/instruction-series  Better - computer software

http://www.mikeepsteinhitting.com/  Good

Hope this helps. 

Edited by ray6foot7 2012-03-02 9:08 AM
2012-03-02 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4076757

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
ray6foot7 - 2012-03-02 8:45 A

-  Weight - Have her hold the bat with one hand near the knob out to the side with arm and bat parallel to the ground.  Correct weight is the heaviest bat she can hold like this for 10 seconds.

I really agree with the above and we made it 15 seconds on the recommendation from the University of Nebraska coach during a clinic we were attending.

2012-03-02 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

My daughter is 14 and has played softball since she was in 2nd grade, first in Rec league then Traveling and now Club and High School (JV this year probably as a freshman).  I second a lot of what has been said already with 1) know the bat rules for your league/association, 2) look for "last years" model to save a lot of money, 3) use the “hold out for 10/15 seconds” rule for bat weight, 4) for length, we have the girls stand up straight with their arms hanging down, fingers pointing at the ground.  The bat should be placed business end down and the knob should come up just past the palm so it touches the beginning to middle of the wrist.  We usually erred on the long side when buying new so it could last  at least all summer and into the fall-ball season.  We bought cheaper ones when she was small as I don’t think little kids swing fast/hard enough to make much compression difference, but once they hit 12s or 14s, you can really tell that a good bat has more "pop".  Enjoy!

2012-03-02 4:04 PM

User image

Get a nice composite bat.  Pop the cap, shave it, then roll it.  Just tell your daughter not to "shoot box".  If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin.

Ok...seriously...don't do that. 

2012-03-02 8:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

Just had to post a pic of my niece with the bat that she put a hole in during her freshman year in college.

(IMG_0050.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0050.JPG (95KB - 16 downloads)

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need help from the bat experts- softball that is....m Rss Feed