FIRM Racing
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 55m 25s
Overall Rank = 109/283
Age Group = Clysdale
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

quick disclaimer, mixed emotions on this race, but overall, probably the best race ever, except Cranberry. All negative comments are for my future reference and not an overall expression of my day.

Got up at 4:30. Had the car packed on Sat.night. Poor sleep pre race as usual. Always afraid I will wake up late. Hit CVS for some mothers day cards, and gift bags :) Went to the accidental pre race favorite Dunkies for my usual Bacon Egg and Cheese on Crossant. Have been doing that since my first race, Sudbury, two years ago. (the only place open that early).

Got to Sudbury around 5:45. Drove the course. Watched FIRM pull in. Then watched them as they got their RV stuck in the mud and spent about 1/2 getting it unstuck. Meet some newbies while waiting for FIRM. Turns out that one of them was my daughters Sunday school teacher. Small world! We chatted and her friend it turns out is a challenged athlete. No stopping her!

Set up transition. Was great to find a plastic bin just the right size for my gear. Had tons of people in envey :) Saw Niki, and Tri Again, but had trouble finding them once in the pool area. Would have been nice to hang, but not to be. Hung out for about 1.5 hours till it was time for my 20 second wave :)
Event warmup:

Gas bag and light stretch. Dose it ever change :)
Swim
  • 08m 31s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

was given number 290 as my swim number. Got in line when the 230's started to go. Got yanked up front by an offical starter due to the number of missing racers. Was a giant cluster f***. They were starting people from the back of the seeding (438 350 etc) out of order. Got in the water behind 289 and watched him go. Then looked back at the starter who forgot to tell me to go, so I am not sure if I was started at the right time.(bitch #1) She did give me a count down to go, so I assume the numbers are right. Forgot to hit my stopwatch till the end of the first length.

Passed two people instead of 5 from the last time I raced here, so I figure I was seeded better. Had some trouble on the under rope turns. Also had to do a little fancy swimmng. On one of my under ropes, I went to go and 2 people were swimmng at me with a pass attempt. Pushed off the wall and went under the person comming at me. I will be damned if I have to wait for someone passing to let me go. Did feel a little bad on my passes, kind of squeezed the people I passed to get back in my side of the lane, but since I do not kick, a little brush is not so big a deal.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself with a little more accurate time. Also swim more than once a week for 6 weeks to get ready for a race. This is the first time that the swim was not stronger than my run, So it is becoming time to put a little more into my swim efforts.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 is inclueded in the bike splits. Not happy that FIRM dose not use them at this race. I am not sure if they do at any of them. This is one of the reasons so many of the people I know do not like doing FIRM races. How much more effort and money could it take to give us transition times. (number 2)

Got to my rack no problems. My gear was very dry, and since there was no wet suit, I could realy boogie. Also decided to race with no glasses. To wet to see, and my vision is not that bad.

Before the race I decided to race in only tri shorts and a medium wt sweet shirt. Not going for excessive layers. Plus a wind breaker is only like a sail. Worked out quite well. Was going to wear gloves, did not and think on a race this short that was realy good. Mind you I was going to wear witner gloves, but forgot to put them on. The sweet shirt was a little warm on the run, but doable.

Not much, very happy with how well I moved. I have realized though that this is one of the few races I have done that the transition area is set up in a way that could be considered unfair. You enter and exit T1 from the same point, so if you are racked close, good for you. Just a longer run for someone like me. (part3 of my little bitching) :)
Bike
  • 26m 33s
  • 7 miles
  • 15.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Decided before the race to hold back on the bike. Not afraid of getting hurt if I dumped the bike at all. Terrified I would break something on the bike and my wife would divorce me :) No way a $500 repair job would come with only 100 miles on the bike.

As soon as I got up to speed I dropped into my aeros out of habbit. Felt good, so I stayed there. Only came out to turn. Would do that on this course anyway. Pushed pretty hard overall, but not my all out best effort due to safety. Passed tons, got passed once by a rider starting his second lap as I finished my frist.

3rd is the furthest forward I have ever finished in any part of a race so this is a big deal! I did not think I had given that good and effort. I was only 33 seconds out of first in my division.

Course was soaked with huge puddles and some washed out sand, but overall a dream to race on. Was pleasantly surprised that front wheel road spit was not hitting me in the face at all.

Lift more, and get some more outside miles for a race this early in the season.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Great T2. I honestly think part of my good showing was great splits in transition. No plastic bags, just a quick cover to lift. Chose to run with out socks for the second race ever. Great move in sprints, and highly recomend training to get used to it.

Learn to do a moving dismount with feet on shoes.
Run
  • 20m 19s
  • 2.3 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Splash, Splash, Splash, Swim, Splash, Slog, etc. Glad I had no socks to get wet and heavy. Kept a very good pace, and although my pace seems slow it also includes about 1:30 for transition. This would have been close to a personal record for run speed on any given day, let alone slogging on a wet course. First race ever where I did not get passed on the run! Come to think of it I only got passed once the entire day and that was as I was getting up to speed on the bike! Did pass around 5 runners, but not sure. Too focused on keeping form.

(grip warning) I know it was wet, and the RV got stuck and things were not great about getting the race going on time, but how hard would it be to put signs out on the course with mile markers. Timeout Productions dose a great job at this in Hyannis. Cranberry was also well marked. Just starting to think FIRM puts on a second class race for the same money as other promoters. Plus as a random gripe, there goodie bags are not quite as good as some. Race shirt, but no water bottle. These things probably will not stop me from doing FIRM races, but my put them at the back of the list.

Holly crap, could I do anything better than a PR paced run without a swim and a bike :) BTW need Ron to add awsome to the ratings :)
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out in the rain. Got my bike in the car and put on Pats jacket to stay warmer. Went back out to see if I could spot Tri again or Niki finish. Knew Niki was on the run course and thought I saw Tri Again finish, but no confermation of that. (I am terrible with names and faces). Watched my new newbie friends finish in there own special way. Nothing like watching someone on a handcycle say " holly crap, no one said anything about grass in the finishing shoot." Normaly the finish was on the sidewalk, but not today, and I think it worked out better anyways.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not pushing myself hard enough on swim and bike training efforts. My taper was perfect. Rain did not help me, but I still shaved over 2 minutes off my previous personal record in Sudbury.

Event comments:

Last long winded bitch session here. It is all about FIRM. Was very dissapointed that the venders did no show. I was in need of a race belt, so I had to pin to my sweet shirt. Not realy FIRMS problem, but still disapointed. The race was a late start, but not sure they ever start on time. Heard one of the support crew say "typical FIRM event...Always a cluster ". They did not have too much support out there, but since it is such a small race that was ok. Those on the course, bless there souls, were wet and just made sure we got where we were going. Mostly the kids of the management company I think. The food was minimal (but so was the race) and I have not seen any effort in my two races at post race entertainment.

I guess I just expect races like this to be more like Hyannis, Boston and Cranberry. I still enjoy the race due to the early season start and great roads in Sudbury. I also like it because it is a litmess test on my abailties.

I was looking to take 5 minutes off my old course time, and if I had, I would have gotten hardware. I do not think I would have been much faster if it had been dry, and would have had 8 more people to contend with in my division. Overall, it was a very fun race. The rain was actualy a blast for me. I have trained all winter in crap weather that was colder, so it was a reward to know it was not in vain.

Last added beef. I found quite a few errors in the Race Results on line. Like a kid that did the 7 mile bike in just over 3 minutes. And a few people who swam 400 in under 2. Not sure that is possible without a world record.

Last updated: 2006-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:31 | 400 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 176/283
Performance: Average
Suit: Trifury Trisuit shorts
Course: 8 lap snake pool swim done in 20 second staggard start. Was somewhat of a mess with 1/3 of the field as a no shows.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:33 | 07 miles | 15.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 77/283
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Very smooth, relativly flat and fast course. Triangle shape of 3.5 miles done twice.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:19 | 02.3 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 149/283
Performance: Good
Course: Glorified loop around a soccer field in and around a residential neighborhood. All paved, some on streets, some sidewalks and some on paths. Needed wet suit to swim across some of the ankle deep pudles :) Ran in the mud to go around, but not much better. 13 inches of rain this month is not good for the race conditions, especialy since the sun has not been out in almost a week.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 4:07 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Sudbury Sprint

2006-05-15 5:57 PM
in reply to: #424427

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sudbury Sprint
WOW Joe- 3rd on bike???4th on run?? Awesome!! Give you guys a LOT of credit for racing in those conditions- if i wasn't bailing my basement i would've come to lend support for sure! I hope you vent your issues to FIRM too. Sounds like a race for the hearty soul- good for you!!
2006-05-15 6:02 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Passing people, PR on the run... can't imagine how better you can do if the race was in good weather.  Nice job. 

Hey, I have an extra race belt.  Want it?

2006-05-15 6:14 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
As a disclaimer, I think Sudbury is a great first timers race, and I do not want to bad mouth FIRM accross the board, just think some other directors do better.
2006-05-15 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kick Great placings, and a great race!
2006-05-15 8:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You did awesome!!!

Congrats..you fabulous! PR in both bike and run in very wet crappy conditions. Can I say it again...wow....you were fast and di great!

Firm doesn't time transtions because they'd have to fence of the tranistion area and have everyone come in one and out the other...takes longer to set up and take down.

They are messed up...they had me as registered for Sudbury race but I didn't register for it...my race is next weekend I called and emailed to make sure they had me in for the right race. I know someone who works for them (one of the kids putting swimmers in) who talked to them..otherwise I'm not sure what would happen. Good thing about Firm is they offer a lot of races.

It does make you appreciate the little independeant races like Cranberry.

I'm taking your container idea for my transtions. I had one I used last year, but great way to bring stuff to race in car, leave it in car if dry but use it if wet....very clever especially in the rain!

Congrats!

No other races but Cranberry and Hyannis?

Edited by KathyG 2006-05-15 8:44 PM

2006-05-15 9:32 PM

Champion

Yeah I agree...Bill Fiske needs to update his Ritalin dosage!  Other than that, you had a great race, congrats on doing so well.  Woo Hoo!!

2006-05-16 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Hi Joe

Great job!  I was indeed envious of your plastic bin

I share some of the same FIRM gripes as you...

When's your next race?

2006-05-16 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Hey,   Thanks for the plastic bin idea.....

Sounds like you had a great race despite the weather conditions.    Not getting passed is awesome in itself!!

I'm doing my first FIRM race this weekend.

2006-05-16 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Kick *** race!  So I take it you REALLY like the new Steed, eh?
2006-05-16 8:42 PM

User image

Napa
Organizers sound a little lame, but overall seems like you had a good race. Rain is fun if there are no windy gusts to go with it.

Do my first tri in a month, you got me all pumped up to do it now.

2006-05-18 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio

Joe,

It used to just be penis invy, but now I have race envy too.  Man it sucks being a tri virgin.

2006-05-19 7:03 AM

Hey! Great Job. Congrats on the time, especially in such sloppy weather. Sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you, maybe at Cranberry. I didn't run into many people I expected/hoped to.
2006-05-20 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Joe GREAT job!! Congrats on the fantastic run time too!!  I'd of been scared biking in those conditions for sure!!!
2006-06-04 4:53 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
updated my numbers to FIRM's new race results. I moved from 113 to 109 in the overall and the field size shrank from 290 to 283. Apperently some people did not finsh the bike leg of 7 miles in 5 minutes and have 400 yard swim times under 2 minutes
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sudbury Sprint Rss Feed