Gulf Coast Triathlon
77.6F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 30m 19s
Overall Rank = 875/1157
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 157/189
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 3:45 am, took in two scoops perpetuem with 24 oz of water, and 3 Endurolytes. Walked .6 mile to the race site.
Event warmup:

Not much, just chilled out until the start.
Swim
  • 46m 50s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

At the start of the swim, I was very cold and shivering standing on the beach. The sand was soo cold and the air temp was in the 50's. I actually went into the water to warm up. The race directors closed the transition area at 6am and my wave didn't start until 6:55am. I had lots of nervous time to just sit around and wait and think about how long the swim was and how long the day was going to be. At one point it was soo bad, I almost considered not starting. It was the first time in any race I was having self doubt.

Finally, the wave before mine went off and it was time to head into the starting shoot. The cannon went off, and as I went out I could not get breathing rate under control. One of the goals I had, was to breath on the right side every fourth stroke. But I was not relaxing enough for this to work, I had to breath every second stroke. After about 200 meters my left arm started getting sore, so I switched to bilateral breathing for about 100 meters then returned to right side breathing. I had some dificulty with the sighting and got off course a little. It didn't bother me too much until I got way off course after the first right turn and found it difficult to get back. It seemed like I was getting pulled out to sea by the current, which did not help the breathing rate at all. After I rounded the second turn buoy, I was feeling a little more at ease knowing I was heading back to shore.

Exited the water thinking, YEAH I CAN DO ANOTHER LAP, BRING ON IRONMAN :D

What would you do differently?:

For IMFL, I need to stay in tighter to the buoys since I don't have to worry about the waves of swimmers coming up behind me, and definetly keep a tight turn around the outer most buoys. Also, sighting a little more frequently would probably be a good idea.
Transition 1
  • 06m 19s
Comments:

Stayed with the plan of walking on the beach to T1 to get the heart rate down. Found an empty Portapotty as a preemptive step for the bike. Had a volunteer apply sunscreen, then walked the bike out of T1 staying calm and focused.

For this distance race, I would probably try to go faster and cut trans time to sub 4 minutes.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

As I started out on the bike was I feeling real good. The weather was turning out to be the best you could expect for a race day in May, low humidity and low temps. I had three primary goals for the bike leg: race nutrion, race hydration, and find a race pace that would give me a good run time.

I headed out on the strip, the wind was feeling manageable. I started getting competitive real soon when a female rider went zipping past. But, I stayed in my zone took in some water and focused on spinning and getting the heart rate down. The route took us out on the strip for a few miles before it reversed course to head back to the start line then north for another out and back. I spotted Joann shortly after starting, making her way back amd gave her a shout out. It is sooo great to share the day with a loved one in a way that only they could understand by participating instead of jock straping. A few minutes later I saw Ken (Manatee Express) and shouted at him too. It took me another 20 minutes to catch up with Joann. Unfortunately, another rider was blocking me from giving her a good luck butt pat, a second shout out had to suffice. :(

I felt real good and strong going out to the turn point, I kept looking at my pacing while keeping my heart rate below 160. I was looking for a bike split of around 3:15. As I approached the half way point, I kept doing the math in my head and looking at my watch, it was not what I planned. I was on pace for a 2:35 bike split. I also started having problems with me neck when in the aero position, which was forcing me to sit up. I started backing off the pace alot. A few miles after the turn Ken passed by. Well, the competitive side took over the rationale side, and I kept on his tail as he went by. We did the cat and mouse thing until the bridge. After the bridge I decided to bring it back to the game plan and get the H.R. down and spin more to loosen the legs up for the run.

I could have gone harder on the bike and still had the same bad run splits.
Transition 2
  • 05m 1s
Comments:

Transition went smooth, took time for another pre-emtive Portapoty visit. Didn't run at all, just worked at lowering the heart rate.

Run through transition.
Run
  • 2h 41m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I learned the run course for IMFL. Goal accomplish, enough said.
Post race
Warm down:

Chilled out, talked with Ken, drank a couple Gatoraids, ate some pizza, then got a GOOD rub down. Cheered Joann into the finish.

Event comments:

I never really considered this race as a goal race, but more of a learning tool for IMFL in November. It was to give us a gauge of our early season training, our race nutrition, hydration and pacing, and to learn the course.

I have the following conclusions for IMFL:
1. I can do the swim distance in the open water, probably with seas about 50-100% rougher than what we encountered without blowing up.
2. Everyone said the roads on the bike are bad. However, I ride frequently on roads MUCH worse than those on the race course.
3. Having to do the out and back run twice for IMFL just SUCKS. I would rather go 13 out and 13 back, but at least now I know what to expect.

We also realized, no matter what condition the host hotel rooms are in, it will be worth it to not have to walk to race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:50 | 1931 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 167/189
Overall: 953/1157
Performance: Average
Suit: Pro-Motion
Course: Rectangular out and back course with two right turns.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:49 | 56 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 135/189
Overall: 646/1157
Performance:
Avg HR 158
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with one bridge.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:41:21 | 13.1 miles | 12m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 157/189
Overall: 0/1157
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2006-05-15 8:32 PM
in reply to: #424622

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
great race and great training for IMFL.  My brother did this course in November and said that not all the roads were as rough as the one we rode on Saturday.
2006-05-15 9:25 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great job on your race....very smart to use it as a learning tool!
2006-05-15 10:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs

Good job on the race !

None of these reports complain about the heat.... was it pretty good weather? 

2006-05-16 5:44 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job Rob.

You did well in all 3 sports and handled the heat and nutrition for a long race without missing a beat. November is gonna be crazy but you will be strong.
2006-05-16 6:31 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Great job, Rob!  Always good to do a little research for the next big race!  You and Joann have had to overcome so much over the last few months.   Don't know how you guys did it and still managed to put in such a great time and the training to boot!  Proud of you!!!

2006-05-16 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

Great job!

That repeated out & back stuff takes some mental conditioning...

Edited by pkingfl 2006-05-16 7:42 AM
2006-05-16 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great job. Looks like you learned a few things and will be in awesome shape for IMFL.  Good luck.
2006-05-16 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

YEAH, Baby!  Our first half Iron distance.   I am so proud of you with your smoking hot bike time.   Maybe one day I'll get a fast pink bike and keep up with you.  Well, maybe if you let me draft a bit

I am so glad we both got through the day and learned great lessons for IMFL.  We both finished smiling so what more could we ask for? 

What a joy to share a day like that with my wonderful hubby.   I am very proud of you and know that November is going to be incredible!!!

2006-05-16 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Looks like you treated this Half perfectly and had a great race.  I'm sure that you'll be more than ready when IMFL comes around.

Glad that it looks like you had fun out there.  I know what you mean about having to do that run course twice --- that park back there was like the Mojave desert! 

Great job again!  Enjoy your future training.

2006-05-16 10:42 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Reading into the lack of lines about the run, I know what you mean ... though that @#$^ park would never end!

Congrats on a racking up some good race splits!

2006-05-17 8:06 AM
in reply to: #425926

User image

Veteran
The park was like being abandoned in the middle of the desert.
2006-05-20 9:13 PM
in reply to: #426059

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
2006-05-20 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Love your pics