General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pace Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-06 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: Pace Question

I am starting a new running program that is pace based.  Any great ideas on how to accomplish this without being on a track or using GPS?

Thanks,

Court

2012-03-06 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4082493

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Pace Question
Landmarks. Plot out the course ahead of time, and get an idea of where the mile splits are, and associate them with a landmark. It should get you close enough.
2012-03-06 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
ltcsh1 - 2012-03-06 9:46 AM

I am starting a new running program that is pace based.  Any great ideas on how to accomplish this without being on a track or using GPS?

Thanks,

Court

Do you want no technology at all, or just not GPS?  If you can live with some tech I'd say use a foot pod type unit.

If you want no tech at all, maybe run on a marked trail (mine has markers every 1/2 mile).  Alternatively you can run a whole lot and then you will start to learn your "general" pace.  I'm pretty good at judging pace, most times I'm within 10-15 seconds on my per mile pacing.

2012-03-06 1:30 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Do it the old fashioned way. Map out the route on your bike or in a car, and time your run. Divide distance by time and that's your pace. Don't make it harder than it needs to be. This may mean you go out too fast or too slow the first few times, but that's how you learn. Nothing wrong with that.

You can also use a site like gmap-pedometer.com to map out distances. Create target times for each mile if you can recall them or make a note (by such and such an intersection, I should be at 10 minutes...)

2012-03-06 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4082507

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Scout7 - 2012-03-06 7:51 AM

Landmarks. Plot out the course ahead of time, and get an idea of where the mile splits are, and associate them with a landmark. It should get you close enough.

Always listen to Scout.
2012-03-06 1:42 PM

User image

Scout7 - 2012-03-06 3:51 AM Landmarks. Plot out the course ahead of time, and get an idea of where the mile splits are, and associate them with a landmark. It should get you close enough.

After a while...it doesn't even need to be mile markers.  For a specific 2.8 mile loop I run...I know what time I should be at for specific points in order to run a certain pace.  I need to pass a statue at around 11 minutes, left turn at 18 minutes, and come out of a parking lot at 21 minutes if I want to do the whole loop in 25 minutes.  If I want to run faster or slower...I slightly adjust my expected splits for those landmarks.  To this day...I still haven't bothered to figure out how far each landmark is.

2012-03-06 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4083270

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

If I am running without my GPS, and attempting a pace based run (i.e a tempo) I go by RPE. 

If you're experienced enough to know what a 5k or 10k pace feels like, then this should work.

If you're not experienced enough to know that, I would look for a plan with a different method.  How would you even know the training paces are right for you?

I actually don't understand how mapping a route/trying to hit certain landmarks would tell me my pace while I am running.  I would always be early or late and then what's the point?  If I am missing something obvious, let me know, but you'll have to spell it out.   This is how I would follow a plan that used distance.

2012-03-06 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4083416

User image

BikerGrrrl - 2012-03-06 9:31 AM

I actually don't understand how mapping a route/trying to hit certain landmarks would tell me my pace while I am running.  I would always be early or late and then what's the point?  If I am missing something obvious, let me know, but you'll have to spell it out.   This is how I would follow a plan that used distance.

Take the distance between landmarks, and divide by the time it took you to get there.  That gives you pace.    You don't need to calculate it exactly if you don't want to...it's just training.

If you're always early or late...then you would likely be always too fast or too slow according to your GPS watch too.  As you mentioned, pacing is something that is learned...and a GPS watch or using landmarks is something to help us guage that internal pace and fine tune it, thus "learning" these paces better internally.  If you find no value in knowing you hit a landmark to early or late...or that your GPS watch says you're running 10 seconds per mile too fast/slow...then you're right...there is no point in using landmarks or a GPS watch.  Some people do use that information, and adjust accordingly.  To each their own.

2012-03-06 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4083448

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
tri808 - 2012-03-06 2:46 PM

Take the distance between landmarks, and divide by the time it took you to get there.  That gives you pace.    You don't need to calculate it exactly if you don't want to...it's just training.

If you're always early or late...then you would likely be always too fast or too slow according to your GPS watch too.  As you mentioned, pacing is something that is learned...and a GPS watch or using landmarks is something to help us guage that internal pace and fine tune it, thus "learning" these paces better internally.  If you find no value in knowing you hit a landmark to early or late...or that your GPS watch says you're running 10 seconds per mile too fast/slow...then you're right...there is no point in using landmarks or a GPS watch.  Some people do use that information, and adjust accordingly.  To each their own.

I understand how I get pace from that data.  I am probably looking too deeply into the question, but was trying to understand how I would use that information to tell me what pace I am running while I ran it.  If all we want to know is that we ran a certain pace, then I understand.

I was thinking about workouts such as 6 x 400 5-K pace.  I use the landmarks to know where the 400s are, and I use time to determine if I did the right pace, but how does one determine that they are running the 5-k pace during the interval without a GPS?  (My answer is they do it by feel).  I thought that was the original question.

2012-03-06 3:03 PM

User image

I know you knew how to calculate pace...LOL...but you're right, pace for shorter distances will be harder to do...and probably worth investing in a GPS watch if you're that serious about making sure you hit each interval spot on.  But you could still do it without...you would just need a lot of landmarks. 
2012-03-06 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

Scout7 - 2012-03-06 9:51 AM Landmarks. Plot out the course ahead of time, and get an idea of where the mile splits are, and associate them with a landmark. It should get you close enough.

+1

Also +1 to whoever said landmarks don't have to be exactly a mile as long as you know the time you need to arrive. You'll probably find you only need to hit the first couple before you can do the rest of the run via RPE.

I still do it this way when I need to train and I don't have my stuff with me. You can also write landmark/time on your arm in something you won't sweat off. This helps if the run is too long to remember all the splits.

If the cost of a GPS is an issue, then you may be able to use your phone to track it. MapMyRun has apps for iPhones and Androids. There are probably others too.

John

2012-03-06 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4083473

User image

Runner
BikerGrrrl - 2012-03-06 3:58 PM

tri808 - 2012-03-06 2:46 PM

I understand how I get pace from that data.  I am probably looking too deeply into the question, but was trying to understand how I would use that information to tell me what pace I am running while I ran it.  If all we want to know is that we ran a certain pace, then I understand.

I was thinking about workouts such as 6 x 400 5-K pace.  I use the landmarks to know where the 400s are, and I use time to determine if I did the right pace, but how does one determine that they are running the 5-k pace during the interval without a GPS?  (My answer is they do it by feel).  I thought that was the original question.

If you're running a 5 mile loop, and you know you should be running 8:00 pace, and you know that mile 1 is at an intersection, and you know that mile 2 is at the Qwiky-Mart, and so on, then you know that for your pace to be on, you should pass the intersection at 8:00, the Qwiky-Mart at around 16:00.

Generally, when I trained using some sort of pace, I had an idea of where the splits were, and knew the terrain/routes well enough that I could look at my watch and know about what my pace was.

That's really all there is to it. Generally, you have a pace range that you want to be in, so you know about how long the run should take a given pace, and then it's just a matter of knowing your route well enough.
2012-03-06 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4083488

User image

Master
Denison Texas

tri808 - 2012-03-06 3:03 PM I know you knew how to calculate pace...LOL...but you're right, pace for shorter distances will be harder to do...and probably worth investing in a GPS watch if you're that serious about making sure you hit each interval spot on.  But you could still do it without...you would just need a lot of landmarks. 

It's not perfect and occasionally has been fussy, but I installed the "Runkeeper" app on my Android and carry it in my pocket on training runs. It gives me pace/time/distance feedback without the same investment as a GPS watch. I typically run the same routes so after time I know where the mile points are anyway and the my sense of pace evolves.

2012-03-06 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4083473

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
BikerGrrrl - 2012-03-06 1:58 PM

It's a learning process. YOu need to learn pacing whether you have a GPS or have a map with lines drawn on it. In one you get feedback sooner than the other. If you are always early or always late, you learn the next run to adjust your speed. YOu'd get earlier feedback with a GPS.

The good news is that since fitness isn't built in a week, you've got lots of time to learn how to pace.

(Not YOU specifically BikerGrrrl, but just to continue the dialogue).

5k based 400s are definately harder and a track makes them much easier, but athletes do these kind of efforts all the time just guessing and you can do fine that way. ie (2 minutes at 5k pace or effort, then jog 1 minute, repeat 8 times...is a perfectly valid workout description). If you know your 5k effort in the first, middle and final efforts of a 5k, then you can 'know' it at any other time as well.
2012-03-06 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4083507

Expert
Av8rTx - 2012-03-06 3:10 PM

tri808 - 2012-03-06 3:03 PM I know you knew how to calculate pace...LOL...but you're right, pace for shorter distances will be harder to do...and probably worth investing in a GPS watch if you're that serious about making sure you hit each interval spot on.  But you could still do it without...you would just need a lot of landmarks. 

It's not perfect and occasionally has been fussy, but I installed the "Runkeeper" app on my Android and carry it in my pocket on training runs. It gives me pace/time/distance feedback without the same investment as a GPS watch. I typically run the same routes so after time I know where the mile points are anyway and the my sense of pace evolves.

Or if your like me and don't own a GPS, or a phone, or a watch, or a HRM, or an i-pod, or well any of that stuff, then it becomes much easier.  When the plan says you should run a fast pace, then run fast, when the plan says to run a slow pace, then run slow.  The rest is just details, and I don't need to be bothered with the details!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pace Question Rss Feed