Sunny
Total Time = 51m 20s
Overall Rank = 226/280
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/50
Pre-race routine:

*Overall Rank is Female Only*
Event warmup:

I did this event a few years ago and the temp noted in my RR was 25. Let's just say 75 was unseasonably warm and I was NOT ready for it. Walked between my car and the packet pickup and back for a little warm-up. I was thinking it didn't seem too bad with the breeze, but I was deluding myself.
Run
  • 51m 20s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out and it was struggle from the beginning. My pace felt hard but the first mile averaged 9:26 (a pace that should have been my slowest). Soon I was feeling very overheated and had to take a walk break around 1.6 miles because I felt like my head would explode and I was starting to hear voices.

I tried to slow my running pace in hopes of being able to continue running, but I still had to take many walk breaks. I was VERY thirsty and downed a full glass of water at the one stop. I poured a second over my head and that felt nice for a little while. It was a torturefest the rest of the race. I frankly can't believe I beat 83 people to the line because it felt really desperate.
What would you do differently?:

It ended up being a confluence of bad luck and bad decisions. I know that a 10:16 pace is still very good, but it's hard to swallow a full minute more/mile than you're planning on. I made a series of bad decisions (race volunteered day before, didn't drink enough water, too fat!, etc), many things I could control. I also am far from being heat acclimated. When I signed up for this race I honestly expected temps in the 30s at most, so this was a bummer. As a friend told me, I know I am better than this. On to the next!
Post race
Event comments:

Would have loved two water stops. I know it's not usually this warm, but it's been a record-setting warm spring and they have several weeks of this to know they might need to try to put in an extra stop.

Last updated: 2012-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:20 | 05 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/50
Overall: 226/280
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on Summit Ave, with a few good inclines each way.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-03-19 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: St. Patrick`s Day Human Race

2012-03-19 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4102517

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: St. Patrick`s Day Human Race
You still stuck it out, good job! I know what you mean about us northerners and the heat. I went for a run on Saturday and was all sorts of slow, even though it was just about 75 F. Under normal conditions, not hot, but when it's technically winter - that's really hot! Your body doesn't know what to do.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patrick`s Day Human Race Rss Feed