Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-05-21 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4108373

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Columbia Tri 2012

I had great fun out there -- made all the better by the fact that I had been dreading the race beforehand and almost was a DNS. I took 7 mins off last year's time, and really enjoyed it. Even the run course. Gory details in my RR. I love the challenge of this race.

I had a couple of narrow escapes on the bike course. At the first roundabout there was a crash just a couple of seconds ahead of me. One guy took the curve too aggressively and slipped, bringing down another guy who was right behind him ... and who was not at all happy.

2012-05-21 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Wow, sounds like the bike course had its share of problems! I was at the event cheering on some tri club members and spectating (1st time watching a race). I thought this was a really well run event and the venue seems nice. It was real cool seeing all the pro's and being so close to them and being right next to the finish line when they finished. I saw Cameron Dye break the course record from Yoder and finish 1st and stood next to Leanda Cave for a few seconds. You all had really great weather for this race too. I was surprised at how many people got pulled out of the water though. I think I saw about 11 people get pulled out of the water and I was walking to the transition area at 9:15am and still saw people in the water at the halfway point of the swim. I cant wait to do this race next year, will be a nice challenge for my 2nd OLY.
2012-05-21 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Sounds like everyone had a pretty good day. I managed a 9 minute PR yesterday. Had a pretty darn good race. Was shooting for a a few minutes more, but I can't complain and I am happy. My cousin was doing his firt Oly and flatted twice. First one at a half mile in and then again about mile 7. I saw him as I was coming back on the bike course on the sidelines and was shocked. He pulled the plug after flat #2, but decided to do the run course anyway (without chip). Gotta give him credit for that. I'm not sure I would have had the heart to keep going.

I had only one minor scare...my foot unclipped as I was hammering down a hill on the back half of the bike. I wobbled a bit, but managed to stay upright thankfully...
2012-05-21 3:37 PM

Also a 7 min PR here compared to 2011. Decent swim, decent bike, but was reduced to walking a couple of short stretches on the run. I believe my mistake was not enough bike fitness to handle the hills, which caused the implosion on the run

Oh, and I didn't realize it but one of my sunglass lenses popped out in T1 and I biked/ran the entire way without realizing that I only had 1 lens.

Makes for some very interesting photos.
2012-05-24 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4219874

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD

HillSlugger - 2012-05-21 7:16 AM I met my goals for swim, bike, and transitions, but then the run CRUSHED me. I HATE that run course. Still, I took 7 minutes off last year's time. Not sure I want anything to do with this course again

That is exactly what happened to me. I had improvements in all areas until the run where I ran about 25% slower on the course that I had been practicing on for the past month. I just had nothing left for the run.

2012-05-25 3:21 PM

User image

New user
Ellicott City

Undertrained, unprepared, even tho it was my second year doing this tri.  Improved my overall time, somehow, despite averaging 18.1 on the bike - when my last race was twice the distance, on basically the same course, and I'd averaged 18.9 on that.  Just wasn't feeling it on the bike, and couldn't muster the strength to dig for it on the long, slow steady uphills, after the steep climbs.  And obviously, the run should not have shocked me, since I've done it before, but OMfrigginG, the hills somehow multiplied and got steeper.  If I could somehow reduce my recovery time after a hill, I'd be in far better shape, because once down gatorade hill we've got a long straightaway, and time to recover, and once I had that, I felt fine, and was able to sprint to the finish.  But up until that point, I was dying, and felt like I was running backwards!

Next time, I'll be trained and prepared, dammit!

2012-05-25 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4229630

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Mike Hasson - 2012-05-25 4:21 PM

Undertrained, unprepared, even tho it was my second year doing this tri.  Improved my overall time, somehow, despite averaging 18.1 on the bike - when my last race was twice the distance, on basically the same course, and I'd averaged 18.9 on that.  Just wasn't feeling it on the bike, and couldn't muster the strength to dig for it on the long, slow steady uphills, after the steep climbs.  And obviously, the run should not have shocked me, since I've done it before, but OMfrigginG, the hills somehow multiplied and got steeper.  If I could somehow reduce my recovery time after a hill, I'd be in far better shape, because once down gatorade hill we've got a long straightaway, and time to recover, and once I had that, I felt fine, and was able to sprint to the finish.  But up until that point, I was dying, and felt like I was running backwards!

Next time, I'll be trained and prepared, dammit!

I commented to someone that they raised the hills this year
2012-05-25 5:47 PM

User image

I set a new personal best for the course and the distance. I am taking on the half full in October so will have a rematch on some of those climbs with some more training under my race belt. Who's doing Eagleman with me in two weeks? No hills there
2012-06-04 8:48 AM

User image

New user
Ellicott City

I wish I were doing Eagleman!  Waited a bit too late to sign up.  Next year, I'll plan better.  But yeah, if you're in shape for Eagleman, then Columbia must've been just like an easy warm up for you.  Good luck!

Regarding the Half Full that you're planning to do in the fall, IMO, although the run course is twice as long as Columbia, it's actually far easier.  You skip over the hard back to back hills of the 6.2 course, and what hills that remain are widely spaced out, so you have a lot of time between in which to recover.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Columbia Tri 2012 Rss Feed  

of 2