FS Series
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 55s
Overall Rank = 12/75
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Holy crap this was terrible. Got lost on the way down, had to cut cross-country back to Alternate 264. Then the Google Map directions were all kinds of wrong. I arrived at the race site at 8:25 for an 8:30 check-in cutoff. Absolutely frantic, but had the sense to keep drinking my Gu Brew on the way down.
Event warmup:

Checked in, set up TA, then went to hit the head, then ran about 1 mile of the run course to scope it out. Bike would just have to do without.
Run
  • 19m 14s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This was more of a checkout of the left hip, which has been giving me some issues these past 2 weeks. It felt okay, but I could feel the catch in it.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, this worked okay.
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Better than the Waxhaw race, but still slower than molasses. 2nd slowest in my AG...again.

Figure out what the heck is making me so slow here.
Bike
  • 37m 58s
  • 14 miles
  • 22.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Left in first, returned in 2nd. 3 AG picked me off not far past the turnaround (he rode a 23.6 mph pace, with aero helmet and wheels). I hooked up about 4 lengths back for a mile or 2, to let him know I was still there. He did ride away from me, so was in to T2 pretty far ahead of me.

Need biking legs! I had trouble after the turnaround getting clipped in (had to unclip to u-turn due to slick road and new tires). Just having trouble getting good output on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

Had a bit of trouble getting the bike racked. I debated brake levers or bottle cage, and chose levers, but was worried I'd break them, so was too careful reracking. Aside from that, got out okay. Still, a pretty slow T2 (2 and 3 got out in 14 and 22 seconds respectively). Need to figure out what they're doing!

Faster out!!!
Run
  • 10m 34s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

So, exited T2 alongside the eventual 2nd place AG. I dropped about 3 steps off behind him for about 1/8 mile, then put an inside move on him to see what was there. He didn't immediately respond. The lead biker from our AG was out front, and I worked on steadily reeling him in. I caught him about 3 minutes into the run, assessed that he was laboring, and motored on by. 2nd place was behind me by a bit. He eventually pulled past, and we held position. I did not hammer this, as I wasn't going to catch next up overall, and 2nd place wasn't going to catch me. This is all pointing to consistency in the series, getting prepped for Cary, but most importantly Washington 100.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I packed up transition, and went to run the course again, thanking volunteers and picking up trash. EZ pace for that, and encouraged a few runners I carefully encountered.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was okay. The bike is still a struggle. Would be nice to have a good bike split, and nail those transitions.

Last updated: 2012-01-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:14 | 03 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 7/75
Performance: Average
Course: The cross country course. A mix of grass, sidewalk, and gravel screenings. A nice run course for once!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:39
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:37:58 | 14 miles | 22.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 16/75
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, some wind on the outbound, but had the benefit of some tail and quartering crosswinds on the return. Last mile was headwind though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:10:34 | 01.5 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 11/75
Little bit slower than run 1.
Course: Same as run 1, just one lap of it though.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-24 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Greenville Short Course Duathlon

2012-03-24 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4111555

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Greenville Short Course Duathlon
Nice race Bill. Showing a clean pair of heels to those 35+ guys. Congrats.
2012-03-25 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4111568

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Greenville Short Course Duathlon
Stressful beginning but everything else seemed to go really well. Your transitions didn't take long but those other guys must have been flying! Nice to run em down...and I wouldn't scoff at a 22mph bike split! Very nice going!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenville Short Course Duathlon Rss Feed