General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
World Triathlon Corporation
23C / 73F
Overcast
Total Time = 15h 29m 30s
Overall Rank = 1380/1600
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 230/
Event warmup:

18months ago joined the gym weighing 120kg (264lbs )after being over 100kgs for the last 18 years. my goal was to get under 100kg . after 6 months i got under 100kg then needed something to focus my training on so decided to train for a sprint tri as i always wanted to do a tri. in oct 2011 i did a sprint tri in 1:27:30. i then decided i would see if i could train for a 2/80/20km race in feb/12 i was just doing enough to maybe finish it . i then saw there was a charity auction for entry into the sold out ironman i thought i would just watch the 3 spots to see how much they would go for . with 1hr to go no one was bidding so i bid the stsrt price of $1000 upto 1400 and couldnt believe i won it and only had 9 weeks to train for it. i decided to just try and do one long ride and run and swim each week and everything else i could do was a bonus . being a shift worker working 24/7 it was hard getting the energy to do all the training and only did 50% of what i should have done in the short training period i did. but i started race day at 87kg (191 lbs)
Swim
  • 1h 19m 27s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

first 1km was a bit of struggle people bumping into me . couldnt see anything without my glasses . just followed everyone else . i think it might have been against the rip . on long swim back found a guy not kicking much and just followed him the hole way felt like i was cruising but just wanted to get through swim at this point when ever someone cut me off i could put a few quick strokes and catch him again . felt pretty good at this point felt real slow but . just before turn my cap came off knocking my goggles of stopped and tried to put cap back on but it just stayed up like a roosters head so just got going again . after turn back towards peir i could feel the water going against me this part felt really hard and cap came off again. was very happy to stand up near the beach i flet pretty good but felt slow i thought maybe 1:40 mark was very supprised to see it was under 1:20 and was very happy at this point
What would you do differently?:

train harder for the swim it was the lg i was most worried about and would skip swim sessions because i hated the pool . do more open water swims only did 3 i think
Transition 1
  • 14m 2s
Comments:

i was so happy with swim that i just took my time . i chatted away and dried off a bit .put arm warmers on . i had put a old gym shirt in my bike bag just in case because off the crap weather all week and it ended up being the best thing i did all week . i was only going to wear it for first 15km but ended up wearing it the hole bike leg

its not the finish get moving
Bike
  • 8h 01m 35s
  • 180 kms
  • 22.43 km/hr
Comments:

got on the bike and was doing good.30min in i hear a tap tap sound look down couldnt see anything then 30 seconds later a explosion on back wheel. i pulled over and thought i have spare so just get it fixed and get going but then noticed that the tyre had 1 inch shredded part on the side at the bottom . i tried putting my spare tube in and ride but tyre had a bubble in it that was hitting the brake . so had to wait for 28min for the repair truck to come and thank god they had a tyre for me . so i was off again but know instead of ridding we other people around me i was alone. this was very hard mentality as i still had 165km to go . my legs didnt feel as good now. near the turn around point there is a big down hill and climb out of tunnel which was fun as i dont my steep climbs and actually passed a few people on both laps. after 60km mark i had to stop at every aid station to go to the toilet as i had bad cramps which was just gas but cost me even more time . the 90km to 135km mark was very hard as by now it was just us strugglers heading out a few times i thought about pulling out my legs where tired but switched from around 80rpm upto 90rpm which felt a lot better. turning around for last time i worked out i had enough time to make cut off and my legs where struggling but i was happy .with 15km to go i looked around i couldnt see any bikes in sight but it felt great like i was will smith in I am legend riding on this great road all by my self.my computer said time in sadle was 7:05 but offical time was 8:01

pray for no tyre problems and gut problems
Transition 2
  • 07m 19s
Comments:

was so happy to make cut off . and felt i could all most walk the rest and make the run cut off . changed into running gear kept arm warmers on
Run
  • 5h 47m 5s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 08m 13s  min/km
Comments:

started of feeling great. road was flat but it sloped of to the side so left side was feeling it more. everyone was talking about it . my plan was to keep my heart rate under 160 but it was sitting at only 154 so was feeling good . ran 10.3km in 58:03 and felt great just walking for 50m through aid stations every 2km . around 15km mark it was strating to hurt started walking 100m through aid stations and at the 1km mark as well.19.6km in 2:06 but was starting to feel dizzy and blister on each foot on the balls of my feet. from 21km started walking and never got running again . the blisters where killing they where from the arch of my feet to the toes and took up half the balls of my feet . i was always a fast walker and everyone must have been struggling as only 2 people past me until the 40km mark while walking. i was avg 10min km's so knew i had plenty of time left and was going to finish around 15:30 so mentally i just said stuff running i just want to finish so just kept walking. my brother and his kids found me at the 30km mark and walked with for 3km they struggled to keep up :). last 2km some people started running past me but i didnt care i just wanted to run down the finish by myself so let a few go past and ran last 300m . everyone started banging the fence when i came into sight i was so pumped i had a huge smile on my face . wheni got to finish chute high fived everyone on both sides and ran up the ramp to here trent minett railway signaller from nsw you are a IRONMAN . i was so proud

get thicker running shoes
Post race
Event comments:

the best thing i ever did . considering the short and crappy training i did im very happy to have finished. so many volunteers and fans out every where . if this was a fast course by the pro times im glad i didnt do a hard course :). felt not to bad the next day just blisters making it hard to walk and really bad wetsuit hickys under my arms luckly arm warmers stopped them rubbing on running .

Last updated: 2012-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:27 | 3800 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1600
Performance: Good
Suit: no sleeve wetsuit
Course: 1km away from pier . turn left 200m out. turn left 1600m back past pier. turn left 200m in . turn left 600m back to pier. turn right swim to beach
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 14:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
08:01:35 | 180 kms | 22.43 km/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: 45km out and back twice mostly on new motorway
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:47:05 | 42.2 kms | 08m 13s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: flat road for first 20km the path for rest . small up and overs from 24km to 35km
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-03-26 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne

2012-03-26 10:53 PM
in reply to: #4114493

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne
Great job on the race, and the weight loss!  I am training for a HIM this summer, but hope to do a full one day.  Must have been great to have the family along for a little while, I bet they are extremely proud!  Hope the feet feel better quickly!
2012-03-27 3:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

What a journey Trent!

Congratulations IRONMAN!!!

2012-03-27 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesoem JOB!! Congrats on the weightloss and the finish.  Amazing journey for you.  Bugger about the tire tho.  total suckage
2012-03-27 9:54 AM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS, IRONMAN!!!

Super job out there and super job creating a whole new you leading up to the race! Good on ya for not letting the mechanical get you down and persevering on the bike course.

I am sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, but I plan on sticking around triathlon and coming back to Oz for sure so we shall meet someday!

2012-03-27 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Great job, IRONMAN!!

Awesome effort with the weight loss also. 

Be very proud, you were part of something special.

2012-03-27 8:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Great job on the race and your journey to get there!!
2012-03-28 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Way to stay mentally tough and hang in there on the bike. Welcome to the club. Cheers.
2012-03-29 5:41 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
wow, that was such an inspiring read - well done on your awesome achievements - IRONMAN
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne Rss Feed