General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mini MightyMan Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-02 2:39 PM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
Subject: Mini MightyMan Triathlon : Official Thread
Pray for no rain like last year.

2012-04-12 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4125290

User image

Subject: RE: Mini MightyMan Triathlon : Official Thread

....Not liking this...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/hempstead-ny/11550/daily-weather-forecast/2102998?day=11

lets hope it's too early to predict and they are wrong. 

2012-04-13 10:32 AM

I just checked and now it says - 62 and sunny.

So, along with the fact that i hope i have done enough to get ready - I will now add the weather to my prayers...

This is my first one and as many first timers are, i am sure, i hope that i have trained enough b/c right now i am questioning that. But as I say - i just want to finish, not out to break any records.

If either of you have done this before - any advice is certainly appreciated!

Thanks.

2012-04-15 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4148442

User image

Veteran

Hey guys what swim time are you planning to tell the officials?  I swim at Eisenhower 3 times a week and break my workouts into 400's ... I would say going all out I can break 8 minutes is that the time I tell the officials or do I saw 8:30 based on the possibility that a slow person will be in front of me and I will get stuck anyway ...

Sort of regret signing up for this race but figure it will be fun anyways - Event Power puts on good races.  '

2012-04-15 3:44 PM

User image

I was wondering the same thing about the swim. I've timed myself a few times in the last few weeks for a 400 and it's been around 740, but I'm thinking also that I may tell them closer to 8 for two reasons, one I assume I will be slower with so many people at the turns, and two, I have trouble holding back on the swim (it's basically my only strength out of the three) and I'm thinking the other people in the 8 minute group will help me pace myself to hold back a little so I have something left my the run. 

Keep in mind this is my first ever race....so I know literally nothing, just what I've been thinking. 

2012-04-15 4:22 PM

User image

Also, I've read before that sometimes people will bring things like balloons to mark where their stuff is to make it easier to find their bike, I'm wondering if anyone whos done this race before can tell me if it's necessary at a race this size? I'm not sure how big the race is and if I'd need that/people do that at a race this size

2012-04-16 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4148442

User image

Austin, North Carolina
caseyjoel - 2012-04-13 11:32 AM

...it's back to a 60% thunderstorm forecast. They say rain or shine, but if there is lightening we won't be allowed in the pool. So, hopefully there's no rain, or lightning. Fingers crossed for good weather though.

Not sure where I'm going to seed myself for the swim either - Are you all basing your time off estimated completion (snaking under lane lines) or just a 400m time?

2012-04-16 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
Hey all, I'm not doing the race but volunteering (figured it would be nice to spectate instead of being in a race for once!) and wanted to wish you guys luck.  Hope the weather holds out!
2012-04-16 3:45 PM

User image

husse23 - 2012-04-02 3:39 PM Pray for no rain like last year.

You had to mention rain

2012-04-16 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4152986

User image

JASpencer - 2012-04-16 9:28 AM
caseyjoel - 2012-04-13 11:32 AM

...it's back to a 60% thunderstorm forecast. They say rain or shine, but if there is lightening we won't be allowed in the pool. So, hopefully there's no rain, or lightning. Fingers crossed for good weather though.

Not sure where I'm going to seed myself for the swim either - Are you all basing your time off estimated completion (snaking under lane lines) or just a 400m time?

I use a straight 400m time. 

2012-04-16 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4152009

User image

tgkny - 2012-04-15 5:22 PM

Also, I've read before that sometimes people will bring things like balloons to mark where their stuff is to make it easier to find their bike, I'm wondering if anyone whos done this race before can tell me if it's necessary at a race this size? I'm not sure how big the race is and if I'd need that/people do that at a race this size

First off the balloon idea is a great idea... errr.. until Race Morning when you feel like a complete idiot walking to transition holding a balloon.  Or at least that's my story   

If you care less what people think, then bring a balloon - it's a great idea, although I've only seen it done a couple times. 

This will be a decent-size field, and transition is in an area where there are zero landmarks.  So just about every transition lane will look like the next.  In a Mini-Sprint transition time is super-uber-extremely important.  If I remember correctly, there is about 12 transition lanes - give or take.  I went down the wrong aisle TWICE last year.  A :30 second transition mistake can cost you several placings because it's a Mini Sprint and the distances are so short. 

What I suggest is do the balloon, if your ego allows.  Or, I use a bright orange transition towel.  A distinct towel will help you spot your transition spot, or in my case I still ran down the wrong side despite seeing the towel.   

2012-04-17 1:00 PM

Now its up to 70% chance of rain on Sunday. Ugh - I think dry would be a challenge for me as a newbie. Now with the forecast - it will be more challenging. I know it rained last year - but I am slightly concerned. I can ride the bike - but in the rain I think it goes to a whole new level. Ugh - maybe the % will decrease. Saturday was worse yesterday and now it seems to have moved to Sunday.  Maybe it will move to Monday.

Any advice from those that did it last yr - or those that have done others in the rain?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

2012-04-17 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4156142

User image

caseyjoel - 2012-04-17 2:00 PM

Now its up to 70% chance of rain on Sunday. Ugh - I think dry would be a challenge for me as a newbie. Now with the forecast - it will be more challenging. I know it rained last year - but I am slightly concerned. I can ride the bike - but in the rain I think it goes to a whole new level. Ugh - maybe the % will decrease. Saturday was worse yesterday and now it seems to have moved to Sunday.  Maybe it will move to Monday.

Any advice from those that did it last yr - or those that have done others in the rain?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Honesty, aside from freezing afterwards, during the event the cold, wet conditions were no big deal.  The bike is on a closed path and their are no paint lines on the road, which can get slick in wet conditions.  The Bike is very straight forward loop where 98% of the time you are going straight.  On the turn-arounds just be a little cautious.  On the run, there were no real issues except for a few puddles which you can choose to run around or run through.  Transition can also get a little bit slippery, but just be a little cautious. 

I'm not saying this just to put you or anyone else at ease, but last year it was super-windy and pouring out and it was not a big deal at all.  You just get wet

2012-04-18 7:20 AM

User image

So now that rain is a definite, what is everyone planning on doing clothing wise? I kinda want to just not even bother and just wear my tri suit the whole time and not even bother with my windbreaker, but I'm afraid I may freeze doing that. Anyone from last year have any advice? 
2012-04-18 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4154250

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Dream Chaser - 2012-04-16 4:53 PM
tgkny - 2012-04-15 5:22 PM

First off the balloon idea is a great idea... errr.. until Race Morning when you feel like a complete idiot walking to transition holding a balloon.  Or at least that's my story   

If you care less what people think, then bring a balloon - it's a great idea, although I've only seen it done a couple times. 

This will be a decent-size field, and transition is in an area where there are zero landmarks.  So just about every transition lane will look like the next.  In a Mini-Sprint transition time is super-uber-extremely important.  If I remember correctly, there is about 12 transition lanes - give or take.  I went down the wrong aisle TWICE last year.  A :30 second transition mistake can cost you several placings because it's a Mini Sprint and the distances are so short. 

What I suggest is do the balloon, if your ego allows.  Or, I use a bright orange transition towel.  A distinct towel will help you spot your transition spot, or in my case I still ran down the wrong side despite seeing the towel.   

Hey Bobby, I found a pic of you at Eisenhower park last year carrying your balloons to transition

Edited by Sammeg 2012-04-18 8:54 AM
2012-04-18 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4157551

User image

Regular
Bronx

tgkny - 2012-04-18 8:20 AM So now that rain is a definite, what is everyone planning on doing clothing wise? I kinda want to just not even bother and just wear my tri suit the whole time and not even bother with my windbreaker, but I'm afraid I may freeze doing that. Anyone from last year have any advice? 

It was my first race ever last year. I wore a tri suit and no windbreaker. I froze.

That said, I think the temps are supposed to be a lot warmer than last year, and the rain last year was brutal and pelting - not exactly a gentle spring rain - so you may be just fine with just the suit. Good luck and have fun!

2012-04-18 1:47 PM

This was my first ever race last year during the "great flood" of 2011, and although I'm not racing this year due to injury Cry, I remember that race as being a lot of fun and a really good beginniner race.  Things that I took away from that race:

• Be aware of what's going on during the swim.  Although it's in a pool, which is great, there were sometimes crowding at the edges of the pool which didn't allow for good turning or kick off the wall
  • Since I'm a BOPer I had no trouble finding my gear in transition, but the balloon idea is a good one. It's also nice to be able to ride on a closed road, but since it's laps you will have to u-turn six times, so be careful if it's wet
  • On the run it was crazy muddy, particularly running up the hill in the beginning of the run, and in the ball field where I was running through puddles up to my mid calf.  It was really gross, but by the end, I ended up jumping in the puddles and having a great time.
  • The nice thing that you have access to a nice warm locker room when your done (and they have really good soup if it's crappy out-it really hits the spot!)
  • Remember the feeling of accomplishment when you are done-you are a triathlete now!!

I hope that you have good weather, but regardless, have a great time!! 

-Kelly

2012-04-18 4:06 PM

User image

Very funny Ted.  Very funny. 

2012-04-18 4:08 PM

User image

I've been listening to the weather forecast carefully, and one of the News12 weathermen said it's looking like rain Sunday night into Monday.  Since the event is early Sunday morning, we just may get our little Sprint in before the rains come.
2012-04-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4154222

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
RELISH THE RAIN
2012-04-20 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4161116

User image

husse23 - 2012-04-19 3:11 PM RELISH THE RAIN

X2.  EMBRACE IT EVEN!

Breath in the open wind.  Just don't get caught in the Rain.

2012-04-20 11:20 AM

User image

Commack

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! I ran this event last year in the rain. Couple of quick tips:

1) The pool swim can get a little cramped. Seed yourself at or slightly above your expected time. I found myself swimming a bit faster than my training times. Also, if you're getting passed by a faster swimmer, slide over or wait to be overtaken at the wall. So much easier than causing a traffic jam and risking injury.

2) Especially if it's raining, pay attention to the bike course and guides on the course. If I remember correctly, the bike is a loop and the turns can be dangerous if misjudged. Also, keep track of how many times you go around......noone else will and you don't want to ride an extra loop.

3) Again, if the course remains unchanged.....the run goes through part of a baseball diamond and  outfield. Just watch your footing.

4) Don't remember what air temp was last year (probably cooler), but it was a good idea to bring a long sleeve technical shirt to throw on in T1 (after swim).

All in all, a great beginner's race and Event Power does a really nice job organizing the day......as they do with all their events. Have fun and good luck!!!!

Edited by tridntru 2012-04-20 11:24 AM
2012-04-20 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4162824

User image

tridntru - 2012-04-20 12:20 PM

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! I ran this event last year in the rain. Couple of quick tips:

1) The pool swim can get a little cramped. Seed yourself at or slightly above your expected time. I found myself swimming a bit faster than my training times. Also, if you're getting passed by a faster swimmer, slide over or wait to be overtaken at the wall. So much easier than causing a traffic jam and risking injury.

2) Especially if it's raining, pay attention to the bike course and guides on the course. If I remember correctly, the bike is a loop and the turns can be dangerous if misjudged. Also, keep track of how many times you go around......noone else will and you don't want to ride an extra loop.

3) Again, if the course remains unchanged.....the run goes through part of a baseball diamond and  outfield. Just watch your footing.

4) Don't remember what air temp was last year (probably cooler), but it was a good idea to bring a long sleeve technical shirt to throw on in T1 (after swim).

All in all, a great beginner's race and Event Power does a really nice job organizing the day......as they do with all their events. Have fun and good luck!!!!

Great tips.  I'll highlight #2.  The Bike is 3 Loops.  You don't want to miss a loop and do 2, and you don't want to do an extra one.  Last year there was a bunch of people who had 30 MPH bike times!!  Meaning, they (hopefully innocently) forgot a loop.  When you enter the bike course loop, it's just an oval.  Count passing the far turn 3 times.  We all pay enough money that we deserve accurate results. 

Remember, let's all be Positive despite the conditions.  The cold and rain will make for an Epic Mini-Sprint!!!  

2012-04-20 6:18 PM

User image

By far turn, do you mean the turn we turn into the course or the turn we take out of the loop?
2012-04-20 6:34 PM

User image

^^^ We come out of transition and ride SouthEast through a parking lot.  Within a few hundred yards we enter a closed park loop and head South.  At the far end of the Southside we do a u-turn and head back North.  We head North on a straightaway for a little ways.  Then we hit another u-turn and after that u-turn you will see the 'on-ramp' of other racers coming onto the loop.  Continue South to the Southern turn-around.  Make sure you pass that far turn around 3 times total.

http://eventpowerli.com/events/images/stories/minimmmap-webv3.pdf

Look at the course map.  The Bike course is the light aqua blue arrows.  The "far turnaround" is the one on the lower right side of the page.  It can get confusing on race day, especially with the weather and everyone red-lining it due to the short distances.  Also the park is very non-descript; meaning: whether heading north or south the scenery is identical.  I've done the race three times going back to 2008 and there's not a single landmark on that bike course that stands out.  So what 'I do' is just make sure I pass the far u-turn three times. 

I've sent Event Power LI suggestions in the past (like painting a definitive Mount and Dismount line for the Bike) and they've incorporated past suggestions.  After last year I sent an email suggesting setting up an Orange Cone or a distinctive flag or markerat the far side of the course; this way when you pass the marker 3 times the athlete knows the next time they see the 'exit' (same place you entered the course) you can proceed to Transition 2. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mini MightyMan Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2