Genesis Adventures
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 55m 20s
Overall Rank = 51/111
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/18
Pre-race routine:

Despite my ramblings, having a checklist enabled me to pack and repack only about 3 times. Got a good night's sleep, up at 5:30 and figured I'd get going. Shower, Cup-o-joe, bagel w/ pb and I was out. Harriman is only 15 minutes from home but I like being early.It paid off as I got an end position on my rack which I really like cuz I set up a milk crate in transition - yeah I sit if i feel like it! Got a problem w/ that :)
Event warmup:

It was a chilly 55 degrees out as the sun hid behind clouds. Water reported to be a brisk 60 degrees. Had plenty of time so I took an easy 6 minute jog to keep warm while I waited for the lake to open up for warmups. Most weren't in a hurry to test the water. I have difficulty getting my breathing right on a good day so I sure as hell was going to take advantage. There was only ONE person in the water when I got there! I chatted w/ the shivering lifeguards, who definately thot we were all nuts, while I fiddled w/ my new neoprene cap and got the nerve to step in. My sleeveless ws is also new and I kidded w/ them that I left my sleeves at home while wondering why the hell I didin't just buy a full. As I walked in I really regreted it. The water really didn't feel bad EXCEPT on my exposed shoulders and arms. The neoprene cap was a thing of beauty tho as my head really stayed warm. As is the norm, the first time my face went in I had shortness of breath that I ALWAYS get. Purposefully, I stayed in real shallow water and stood every couple of feet until I got my breathing under control.Then I swam for a good 8 minutes or so and, of course, relieved myself in the interest of warming the water for everyone else! I got out feeling confident (and a little chilly) but really it was the air at this point, not the water. Quite a few people seemed to have followed me into the water. Only about 10 minutes till the start.
Swim
  • 16m
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Only 50+ people in my wave. Met a few guys in the back (away from the cold water) and we chatted until there was 10 seconds left. Even w/ the warm-up I had my normal start. Walked in slwoly but as soon as my face hit the water I reacted like it was my frist time swimming. Suck in water, gasp for air, momentarliy panic. I've come to accept this however. By starting swimming in shallow water I mitigate the fear factor though. Stand, regroup and start again. Sometimes it takes more than one shot. Not today. After the intitial run in w/ my swim demeans I was off.I had to negotiate past a bunch of people in front of me and sure enuff I saw quite a few people struggling probably bc of the water temp. The difference is now they are in water over thier heads and panic can set in. Sure enuff, 3 people got pulled out. I on the other hand, hit my stride once I found open water and cruised. I had a good line and remember smiling as I rounded the buoy, I felt great and the water seemd refreshing at this point. There was a decent current blowing in so I knew the return wb great. First time doing an out and back swim and it wasn't marked that well so I had to look up every 8 strokes or so. Nonetheless, I passed a lot of people, used little energy, and made it out in 16 minutes! Loved my ws and neoprene cap and gotta say 60 degree water was really not an issue. Actually wished it was 3/10 longer so it wb an"official" OLY. As I passed my family I yelled out "That was actually a lot of fun!" Smiles all around.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I could just run in and go, but that doesn't seem to be the case most of the time. I get better as the season progresses but at least I don't panic or get frustrated. It is what it is. The swim is just the start of a long journey, so whatever!

In the end I'm quite happy that I got a sleevless as it was funtional here and will be perfect for the rest of the season.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Out through the in in door - oops! My family followed me to transition and since I was at the end of a rack they were next to the fence cheering me on and chatting w/ me as I did my little ws shimmy. Sat on the crate quick to get it off my ankles and bike shoes on and then I was off. Small area and no one around to follow so I went out the way I came in. Next thing I know all the race officials are like "Stop, you're going the wrong the way!" I couldn't go back over the timing mat so one guy grabbed my bike and handed to me as I jumped over the fence myself. I ran back past my family as they all laughed at me. I chuckled myself and headed out in the right direction. Oh well, whatta ya gonna do?

uh, go out in the right direction!
Bike
  • 1h 45m 17s
  • 30 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Well this is Harriman, my home course and one hilly SOB. I had a plan and that was to go at my pace, not worry if I was passed and save something for the run. It is beautiful up here, I know the course and I was going to enjoy myself. Met a guy right out of the shoot and we chatted a bit. Then we hit one of the few flat sections. I went aero and took off feeling good. After a nice downhill I dropped my chain. Just a bad shift on my part, can't balme the bike. The bummer is I lost all my momentum. I was passed by about 8 people, including my new friend. I tried in vain to catch them, realized it was futile and settled back in to my pace. Enjoyed the rest on the first loop until the hill. Cool to see the whole line just slow down. Very little passing as everyone struggles just to keep em turning. It's a mile up, slight pateau then another mile up. I stood a fair amount not so much to go faster just to change positon and use some different muscles. My familiarity w/ the coure paid off as at the top I passed a bunch of people,who obviously were struggling w/ the hill. I encouraged most telling them it was better the second time. The knew I was lying of course. I planned to eat my Uncrustable at the crest. Ahh, PB&J. I as really enjoying it. Decided to look at my clock to see what time I was eating and BUMP, I dropped my last bite :( Bummer!! Settled in for the remainder of the second loop. Sure enuff the hill took it's toll on alot of people the second time around and I passed a few more. I felt pretty good but did feel my toublesome hammy for the first time at this point. At the crest I spun easy and managed my second gel as I eased into T2. My nutrition was perfect - gel at 30 mins, Uncrustable at 1 hr, sipped Perpteum (love this stuff) throughout and that last gel at 1:40. Despite my two little gaffes I REALLY enjoyed this ride, as it should be on my home course.

Just not drop my chain (or my Uncrustable). No, really I am very pleased to average over 17 mph on this hilly course. That's faster than my training time and I really didn't feel like I pushed it too hard and that was my intention. Continued training here will only make me stonger.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Sat on the crate but still fumbeld w/ my socks a little. gonna roll them up next time. Somehow managed to rip my race number off one corner of my belt as i put it on. Had to walk to fix it then had it on on an angle. moved it to my back anyway. culda been a little better

not rip my race number off!
Run
  • 50m 18s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt my hammy at the start and was worried it was going to tighten like my other one did at my 1/2 mary. Fortunately, by mile 2 I sensed it was just gonna be there and not get worse. I gritted my teeth and settled into a nice pace. In a small race like this there's not a lot of passing. I was passed coming out of T2 as I fixed my belt and he was gone. Then one woman passed me and that was it until mile 4. At the turnaround I managed one last gel. I felt good and at the 4 mi marker I heard some footsteps. Try as I may, I couldn't prevent the pass. Soon after tho I felt stronger. Maybe the gel, maybe just knowing it was 1.5 miles to the finish and my hammy was not going to be a factor. I picked up the pace. Again not many targets but there were three guys ahead. Managed to get the first, then slowly the second. Always nice to pass people on the run! After the 5 mile marker I was really pushing it. Held on for a while but realizing I wasn't gonna catch the last guy I slowed a little. At the 6 mile marker I hit the last turn into the parking lot. I felt strong. My son tarted form the side line and sprinted to the finish, AHEAD of me :) He really pushed me, the little bugger...I love that part. HUGE smiles

Maybe push a little harder, but the hammy was back there in my mind. I wasn't exhausted at the finish a sign of my conditioning. Not sure I could've gone much harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. they had pizza, grandmas cookies and some fruit. pretty nice actually. It wasn't that nice out so I lingered but as soon as they posted the results I left.

Event comments:

Preparation, planning and execution make for a fun race. Building a solid base over the winter has really made a huge difference. Combine that w/ a good race director, great location and nice weather and you've got the makings of a great day. I couldn't have been happier w/ the way things unfolded and beating my goal by 5 minutes was icing on the cake!! Also finished 9/18 in my age group. Season goal is top 50% of AG. First race of the season and I've done that too!! Maybe time to adjust that goal!!!

Just a great start to the season, makes all the training worth it. I feel I'm well on my way to a great day at TIMBERMAN! And that's what the season is all about for me.

Genesis Adventures/Endurasport really put on a nice race. Much better than the sprint series run by the NY Tri Club at Harriman. They cleaned the parking lot and tranisition area, provided bottle exchange after the first 15 miles (rare at this distance) and used the timing chip. I only wish they made the swim a .9 instead of point .6 just so we cud call it an OLY not a mini, but that's just me.

Last updated: 2006-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:00 | 1056 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 36/111
Performance: Good
Suit: IM Stealth Sleevless
Course: out and back, not enuff bouys to site
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:45:17 | 30 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Overall: 55/111
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 15 mile loop twice. 2 mile climb at mile 13. Not for the meek.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:18 | 06.2 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 61/111
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills really nothing to steep. Harriman offers such nice views and terrain.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: Endurasport Mini

2006-05-22 11:43 AM
in reply to: #430148

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Endurasport Mini

Great job Mark!  Sounds like you had a great day out there.

I know the hills around Harriman can be very challenging, so that really was a nice job on the bike.  Should be very good prep for Timberman this summer.

And I agree that they shouldn't call this race a "mini"--that term doesn't seem to do it justice.

2006-05-22 12:28 PM

Pro
Andover
Damn Dude, those are some killer splits, well except for the transitions.

And that was nice of you to help the others out by warming up the water. LOL!

Seriously, nice work out there!

BTW:
Were you able to pick your chain back up shifting a little and pedaling (love that trick!) or did you have to pull over?
2006-05-22 12:38 PM
in reply to: #430382

User image

Elite
New City, New York
CptnJackSparrow - 2006-05-22 1:28 PMBTW:Were you able to pick your chain back up shifting a little and pedaling (love that trick!) or did you have to pull over?
Unfortunately I had to pull over.Thanks all, for the comments. As I continue to look at the results I'm even happier. Only the top 8 people finished under 2:30. So I am really thrilled w/ a 2:55 on this course. An aside - A woman finished 4th overall, less than 1 minute off the podium. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Edited by rollinbones 2006-05-22 12:38 PM
2006-05-22 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Great race, Mark! Good splits, especially the swim.  Much colder and you would have been skating. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable day. 
2006-05-22 2:43 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Way to go Mark!  Sounds like you definitely had fun, nice pace all around, 60F water, jeez its May already! 

2006-05-22 6:04 PM

Champion

Way to go...great race!  I figured that sleeveless wetsuit would be perfect.  A little chilly at the start of the season, but by the time Timberman rolls around, you'll be glad you got it.  Looks like the "fun factor" was right up there!

2006-05-22 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Race Mark!

It looks like your packing and repacking was the ticket to get you in the right zone.

You met your goal top 50% and raced well...super fast run and glad your hammy allowed you to do your best.

Great job of beating away the swim demons...I will have to try that my upcoming race...go along the shore and do more warm ups than normal....okay to stop and restart. Not sure I'll ever wish the swim was longer...but it is cool for you....very fast in the swim!

I see you didn't get the RR done until it was a work day...hmmm

Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Endurasport Mini Rss Feed