Cass County YMCA
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 30m 4s
Overall Rank = 35/60
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/20
Pre-race routine:

I spent the evening packing up my bag and checking everything twice and forced myself to bed around 11pm. Dinner was around 9pm and had spaghetti. Set alarm for 4:45 but woke to a start at 4:30am to thunder and lightning. It had rained for the past several days, hell all of May, but not race day, it couldn't be happening. So I get up anyway and load up, now I am wishing I would of put my bike in the truck the night before instead of 5am and in the down pour. I changed clothes. Breakfast was two Peanut butter and sugar pieces of toast, grape juice and a big glass of milk. I was ready, surely the rain would stop. A drive that takes never longer than 90 min's takes two hours in the rain. I couldn't see 3 feet in front of me. I travel on. My parents call and say they turned around the rain is too much to drive thru, surely it would be cancelled. My wife calls, the kids are sleeping and she doesn't want to drive over in the rain to have to drive back, plus the park is going to be flooded. I say that sounds like a good idea, but I am still going over. Surley it will stop. I hear on the ole AM that Cass county is under a flash flood warning and that they have had over 8 inches of rain in 24 hrs. My tri is in CAss county...surely it will stop.
Event warmup:

As I pull in to the park, the rain had stoppped. It was very wet and there weren't very many cars around. Enough that I thought and rightly so that they were going to have it, but it was going to be smaller in number. Only 60 showed up. Last year there were 200 so the weather was a factor in more ways than one. I set up my transition area with the help of Michaels article on transition areas, I just kept it simple. I wasn't early enough to get the spot I thought I would want but did get one near the bike start/finish, but a long way from the swim finish. I realized I forgot all my hydration in the truck so I put on my running shoes and ran the 1/2mile back and forth for my warmup. Not what I had planned but then I realized I never got my numbers marked. That was to be done by 7:15, it was 7:35, and by the way where is the race meeting that was suppossed to start MANDATORY at 7:30? No one seemed worried and people were all around the transition area so I kind of did what the crowd did. I put on my wetsuit for the first time. I was a little afraid to be the only one with one, since the water was 77, I thought most would opt out. Wrong there were only 5 without and they were needed with all the cool rain water sitting on top. So my last warmup was swimming out about 100yrds and back. It should be noted that the swim course was altered a bit, see the beaches we start and finish on are gone. The lifegaurd stands we were to start in front of are, well lets just say we swam past them. So the race meeting was held at the beach, I mean in the water.
Swim
  • 07m 50s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was almost surreal, the lake is in an old quarry and tree lined with an overcast sky threatening rain and very quiet. The beaches were gone so we were in this bowl of water and I was calm, peaceful....and nervous. The first wave went and there where only 15 guys, it was weird to see them take off, 5 min's later I was off. I ran as far as I could and then started swimming. As I had found out in my practices, the first 300 yrds are my toughest and it was showing. I felt slow and was tired. Partly because the wetsuit does restrict some arm motion. But I sighted pretty well. I was following the feet of the guy in front and the guy on my right kept swimming left and hit me every 10th stroke. I tried to swim past him but the guy in front of me was in the way. So I focused....Twist the hips, reach for the wall, twist the hips, reach for the wall and once we turned the last bouy which I hit just right to be able to shoot the gap. The guy I was following went wide and the guy swimming left slowed I was finally free....then I start thinking, dude you have like 175 more yards you aren't Spitz here. So I go back to my twist the hips and reach for the wall, wait what is that, sand I made it. I stand and try to reach under my wetsuit for my watch to check the time and oh my gosh it says 7:46. It can't be right, my best ever 500 was 13 min's and that about killed me. Wait I need to run..........
What would you do differently?:

I think about this swim and I know the wetsuit provided a lot of what was in my time, but then everyone had one on. So I think the drafting helped, although I don't know how much, I have never tried it and didn't here, it just happened. If I tried I am sure I wouldn't have been successful. I think I need to continue my endurance training in swim and get my distance up. I also think I should quit worrying about distance and focus on some intervals that challenge me in practice. But most important is drills, if I can get my body as close to wetsuit position without one I could actually not be a back of packer in the swim. Not front but middle and in the race would be cool. I did feel smooth in the water.
Transition 1
  • 05m 31s
Comments:

Up across about 40yrds of just below knee deep water and up a hill 200yrds to my bike. The hill was probably 50 yrds. Turned down the wrong bike stall, it was my bike but loaded to the other side. Had the wetsuit half off with the run and proceeded to take off the rest. Not too bad but more time than I wanted. Decided to put on bike gloves because of the rain/wetpavement ect..this proved time consuming. Finally got them on, drink of gatorade and I was off.

I think it went pretty well, obviously a lot of time in T1 but I don't think I could of been but maybe a minute quicker. Just experience I think and practice.
Bike
  • 44m 38s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Don't know my rank but probably lost a few spots early in the bike. The roads were very wet, puddled, running water down the hills you are going up. Half a road under water, post holes filled, so slick and dangerous, at least for me. However, I need to work on the bike. I have only been riding it for 2 months and I felt it. My 170 miles of training were not enough. My legs burned, but I kept pushing up the hill. I even used the granny gear, never have I ever used it and here I was thinking it was either that or walk. Shifted into it and almost fell off the bike, see my legs started spinning so fast I and I wasn't going anywhere I thought I was a gonner. Ok, take a breath, back in a managable gear and finally to the top. I had actually closed on the rider in front of me. I was passed by 5 and passed 4 others. I was dead, my legs were gone and whoa, the last turn into the park, way too fast, slow down, don't lock the brakes, turn, turn turn.........whew just made it, HR is now max.

More miles, will come with time, next year I tackle the hills. Hill training, only have flatland around here. I will find some close by. Learn to drink while pedaling. More miles.
Transition 2
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

A lot longer than I would have guessed here. However my time does include my getting off the bike and running with it. Once I got to my area I coudln't remember what I needed. So I drank some gatorade, remembered to take off my bike shoes and put on the running shoes. What else did I need, I drank more gatorade, oh yes my race number belt, now what else do I need, my left calf started to cramp waking me and realized oh I need to go..

Remember what and why I am there. I spent time just thinking instead of reacting, everything I needed was right there. Except I was going to change out of my cycling jersey for a different shirt, I am glad I didn't but I do not like the how short they are in the front. I kept trying to pull it down on the run. Just a litte annoying but probably saved me time trying to get it off and another one on. Tri-suit.
Run
  • 29m 4s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Left transition with female overall leader/winner who quickly left me and running with a guy from my age group who I left on the first hill. I don't know how, I had absolutely no legs. The course was flooded and we would either run thru the water/mud or around the edges which were lined with trees. I chose to go around them or over them never thru, I wanted as dry a shoe as possible. The MTB parts were very narrow and very rutty and muddy. At mile 1 I see 8:20 and can't believe my legs were even moving, sucked down a gel, walked a few seconds to get all the water in and was passed by female number two who had road rash all over her arm, back and right thigh but not actually showing any pain. After that I started to feel good, the gel was working, I was inspired by female number two, if I would of whiped out would I still be running? Probably but after her I never saw another person. These were winding up and down trails, never a sign of a finish just orange paint on the ground and some yellow tape and the occassional volunteer at a possible confusion point. Only one water station when we were told their would be two and at the second mile marker, since the course was changed I had no idea when mile two ended, that would of been nice since I could know my pace. Until the last half mile I could only guess and the sun was starting to break, it was warming up and I didn't know how long I had left. My watch said 25 min's and I knew I had to be close, maybe only 5 more minutes. There it is the finish, not many spectators showed up but everyone who had finished was still at the line cheering everyone else on. I look up and see 1:35.04 I did it. I new I started 5 min's back and I met me goal.

Well, I don't know how many of my tri's will be trail runs. I think I would be faster on a road course. I don't know how much trail running I will ever do, so, I think more hill running is needed. I haven't done any interval training, tempo running ect.. just base building. My first season I am just trying to build a decent base but I will start adding those things in. I could feel that I am ready, I have a decent short distance base. I rate this average but only because I hurt during it. My legs came to me in the middle on but I could do this better. But I am extremely happy, surprised with my time.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, walking light stretching rooting on the others coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me, weather, transitions.

Event comments:

I based my rankings on the race based on what took place, however, the weather played a huge part in the organization of this race. At 6:30am the race director said there won't be a race today for sure but the volunteers, once the rain stopped right about 6:30, took that as a challenge and went to work making it possible. We were delayed by about 15 mins so no, it didn't start on time but that was not a complaint by any one there. Drink stations had to be moved so some were eliminated but at least it was overcast and not hot until the end. Post race was very mellow with less than half the field there and no spectators other than a few family members but the food was subway and that was good and I won $10. I met some very cool triathletes a a couple who have been competing for 3 years now, just getting back from Alcatraz. This was there first race 3 years ago and they come back every year. The each placed in their age group one with a second the other with a third and I was sitting beside them during the presentation and that was pretty cool. One thing I noticed when I first got there. Everyone looked like a triathlete, everyone had a tri bike, everyone seemed to know what they were doing. There were 4 rookies out of 60. I met the second place in his age group finisher, rookie at that, at transition setup. We thought we were the same age group but he was 7 years younger, it must of been his mustache and my boyish good looks. But he won in 1:32 second place and I end up 13 in mine in 1:30. He brought it up. I had a blast and to think of those volunteers is amazing, they kept saying what we were doing was amazing and very nice but I think the harder job is getting up at godawful early in the middle of a severe thunderstorm and heading out just in case the race goes on and then to trudge thru mud and water to alter the course some so we could have some fun.....and fun I did have. I had changed my race goal to 1:45 once I learned the changes and with the weather, I would of been happy. To still hit my old target blows me away. I had no idea. I talked with female number two after the race, She whiped out exactly where I almost did, came in to fast and didn't take the grass but ended up laying it down. A smile was never off her face, nor anyone else that was there. We stuck this thing out in spite of the weather, it was a pretty neat group to be around thru the post race.

Last updated: 2004-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:50 | 500 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 0/60
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Pedator II
Course: Modified U, basically a block U. 200 yrds out 100 yrds across and 200 back. However, I know from the beaches being gone we probably added another 50 yrds to the course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:31
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:38 | 14.5 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/20
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course is hills and lots of them up hill, we ride out of the park on some of the smoothest roads I have ever ridden on and out on the highway then down by the river. The first 6 miles are flat and along the river and the roads are rough. The next two miles are winding S curves uphill away from the river. Then the final 6 miles are a mixture of up up and down to end back at the park. Modified slightly because of floaded roads, added .1 mile to 14.5 from 14.4
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:04 | 03.5 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/20
Performance: Average
Course: TRAIL RUN : supposed to be 3.3 miles along park trails, altered a lot to become 3.5 miles of trails (people and MTB). Big loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-06-14 1:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: River City Triathlon

2004-06-14 2:26 AM
in reply to: #31147

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-14 9:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: River City Triathlon
Sorry there will be no race pics....My wife bailed with the kids, my parents bailed with the rain and the Race Director was ready to call it off at 6:30 so the photo guy was called off.  It is disappointing but understandable, I am just glad they didn't cancel it.  It turned out to be perfect weather.  A little overcast, cool and then after the race the sun was out and it was warming up to the 80's.
2004-06-14 11:04 AM

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race in tough conditions! Good job!!

Kelly
2004-06-14 11:17 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Jim, what an awesome first race! I better not ever hear you whining about swimming again :-) 7:50! It sounds like you have got a good base and are able to push your legs to the limit! Way to push yourself and have a great time! Also great bike split and the run was even better!
2004-06-14 11:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Cameron, it had to be the wetsuit, I am not that fast of a swimmer.  But I will try to keep the complaining down...until I try to do the Oly distance.  I am almost afraid to swim one of these without the wetsuit now.

2004-06-14 12:15 PM

Expert
Torrington,CT

Great race.  You sure overcame a lot of obstacles. 

Congratulations.

Evelyn

2004-06-14 12:49 PM

Master
Berkeley, CA
Way to go! Great race--inspiring!!

Dana
2004-06-14 1:49 PM

Expert
Texarkana, TX

One of the tricks that I use in Transitions (and I read it here on the site, but I can't remember who posted it...) is to count the number of items I need at T1 and T2.  I know that I have four things to do...did I do all four?  I.e., shoes, shirt, helmet, glasses - go!

2004-06-15 12:56 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I had everything in piles, I just couldn't think of why I was in transition.  I'm ok with the slow transition times.....this time, being my first go at it.  The piles help but I was a little over prepared I think, I was going to change shirts and it was sitting there but in the end I ran in my cycling jersey, I think a tri suit would eliminate the clutter and my thinking.  Thanks for the tip though.
2004-06-15 1:04 PM
in reply to: #31439

Champion
i'm glad i found your report rio...so many posts these days!  its so cool seeing you reach your goal...i think u first introduced yourself in oct 2003...u have come far and its so awesome seeing your first triathlon race report.  u faired most excellantly given the conditions.  whats next? 

2004-06-15 1:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

Thanks Ron and I credit my success to this site.  I am not sure that without it I would of stuck it out.  The wealth of information here is amazing and the support of everyone keeps me honest with my workouts.  I am a lifer to this site! 

Next is either July 10 in Valparaiso, IN a sprint or July 11 in Indy a sprint.  Then a sprint in Indy on August 1st.  Possibly an Olympic distance in late August/early September if I can find one.

2004-06-15 10:12 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario

YOU DID IT!!!

Fantastic job...keep up the great work

Jen

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » River City Triathlon Rss Feed