General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ING New York City Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-05-07 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: ING New York City Marathon : Official Thread
I got into the New York City Marathon Lottery!!  I'm so excited.  This will be my second marathon, I did Richmond in 2009. Anyone have any tips for this race?

2012-05-07 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4195440

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: ING New York City Marathon : Official Thread

I finally got accepted after years of trying and then giving up.  I really wasn't expecting to get in so I'm very excited!  I had foot/gastroc surgery last Oct (was only able to run about 200 miles last year due to injuries) and I've finally getting back into running over the past few months.  I'm really excited that the NYC Marathon will be my first post surgery race.

I'm curious to hear what past timers have to say about the course.  I've heard that you need to prepare for the bridges and it can be quite hilly, so I will definitely be incorporating hills in my training.

2012-05-09 8:34 PM

New user

New York
I'll be running my third NYC in November. Definitely not an easy course but crowds all along the course are amazing. Brooklyn and 1st avenue in manhattan beingbparticular highlights. the climb on the 59th street bridge at mile 16 is tough and I find the climb up 5th ave from mie 23 to 24 a killer! However it is a great day in a great city. Best of luck.
2012-05-15 11:52 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Reiterating what Hill16 said. Tough course. I've done it 5x and to me, it's a different race than a regular marathon.

You'll battle crowds the entire distance. Oddly, the NY'ers are the friendly ones. There are a few unnamed foreign countries whose runners tend to be obnoxious and pushy.

It's a hilly course. Bridges. Verrazano is awesome...you can feel the bridge rise and fall. (also known as the world's longest urinal). But it is a mile up, and a mile down. 59th street bridge..deathly quiet..until you make the turn onto 1st ave, and it's a party!

Pre-race...bring lots of disposable clothes to discard right as you line up at the start. It's a long, cold wait in the morning. I usually wear an extra shirt and/or arm warmers that I discard once in Brooklyn.

Without a doubt, an awesome, awesome experience. But, don't expect to PR.
2012-06-21 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

I got the choose your transportation email from NYCM.

Choose the New York Staten Island Ferry or an official bus from New York or New Jersey.

Any veterans know if either one is a better option than the other?  Thanks.

2012-06-21 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4274568

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
mdfahy - 2012-06-21 10:16 PM

I got the choose your transportation email from NYCM.

Choose the New York Staten Island Ferry or an official bus from New York or New Jersey.

Any veterans know if either one is a better option than the other?  Thanks.

I received the same email as well.   Any guidance will be much appreciated  since I have no clue which is the better option 

2012-07-30 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4274583

User image

Regular

Hello

I think i have a spot for this year.  My buddy is injured and will give me his bib.  Awesome. 

So there is not much chat on this.  I normally use it for the IM Lake Placid chats.  178 pages for the 2012 race.

Ran NYC Mara in 2010.  It was my first and only true marathon.  The other two have been part of Ironman.  So i`m looking forward to just running!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2012-08-23 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4337436

User image

Regular
NYC/South Jersey
2012-08-27 4:34 AM

User image

Veteran

Stupid....

Not even some sort of backpack???

What kind of weather is during start of November in NYC?

2012-08-27 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4381631

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Gladiador - 2012-08-27 5:34 AM

Stupid....

The baggage thing is really annoying, particularly for a local who is racing without a massive support crew. I've done the race 3 times and luckily had someone to sherpa my stuff around all day - house keys, cell phone, clothes to put on after. So only once have I actually used bag check and that's because it was abnormally cold that year.

The weather is usually pretty nice, but unpredictable. I've done it in 57, sunny, no wind and also 75, sunny and way too hot.

My biggest tip for the start: go to a camping or outdoors store and buy 3-4 mylar sheets (heat sheets). They come rolled up tiny and you can wrap one around your lower body like a skirt, one around your shoulders like a cape and spread one out on the ground to sit on so you stay dry and off your feet. Every time I've raced and people see me with them they say they wish they'd thought of it. You can wear 1-2 into your start corral and toss it just as you begin. I also go to Old Navy and buy a cheap sweatsuit to toss away for donation. You don't need much else, just the food and beverage you want to consume pre-race, which you'll have gone through by the time you start.

Sounds like they are giving out warm ponchos at the end so we'll at least not freeze. I think the bigger challenge is having to carry money for the ride home. I prefer to race with absolutely nothing on me, but I'm sure it will all go well.

2012-08-27 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4383157

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
LazyMarathoner - 2012-08-27 7:23 PM
Gladiador - 2012-08-27 5:34 AM

Stupid....

The baggage thing is really annoying, particularly for a local who is racing without a massive support crew. I've done the race 3 times and luckily had someone to sherpa my stuff around all day - house keys, cell phone, clothes to put on after. So only once have I actually used bag check and that's because it was abnormally cold that year.

The weather is usually pretty nice, but unpredictable. I've done it in 57, sunny, no wind and also 75, sunny and way too hot.

My biggest tip for the start: go to a camping or outdoors store and buy 3-4 mylar sheets (heat sheets). They come rolled up tiny and you can wrap one around your lower body like a skirt, one around your shoulders like a cape and spread one out on the ground to sit on so you stay dry and off your feet. Every time I've raced and people see me with them they say they wish they'd thought of it. You can wear 1-2 into your start corral and toss it just as you begin. I also go to Old Navy and buy a cheap sweatsuit to toss away for donation. You don't need much else, just the food and beverage you want to consume pre-race, which you'll have gone through by the time you start.

Sounds like they are giving out warm ponchos at the end so we'll at least not freeze. I think the bigger challenge is having to carry money for the ride home. I prefer to race with absolutely nothing on me, but I'm sure it will all go well.

Thanks- that's all great information!  I usually save my mylar blankets from previous races so I'll make sure to pack some of those.

I have also heard of people wearing cheap bathrobes to the start to stay warm and then shedding them.  I've never tried that before, but if it's very cold on race day I might just try that

Being from NC and having to train in the heat and humidity, I am hoping the weather on race day will be cool and crisp!

2012-08-28 3:46 AM
in reply to: #4383157

User image

Veteran

You mean to race with these sort of sheets and use them afterwards?

How small are they anyway when wrapped up? I plan to take my hydration belt, but it has a really small space available, and I already have things that will (over)fill it. Suggestions?

Edited by Gladiador 2012-08-28 3:47 AM
2012-08-28 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4383589

User image

Regular
NYC/South Jersey

I am pretty sure she is talking about using the sheets before the race starts while your are waiting for the corrals to open. I would bet that we have not heard the last of this baggage policy. I would think that somebody will provide service for a small fee or NYRR will figure out a way to make this right for this race and to adjust going fwd.

Note that REI sells a heat sheet that is fairly large and wraps around your whole body (I think I purchased for 6 bux last year). Even if the forecast is for warm temps the race start can be pretty cold. Good Luck.

2012-08-28 7:11 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Gladiador - 2012-08-28 4:46 AM

How small are they anyway when wrapped up? I plan to take my hydration belt, but it has a really small space available, and I already have things that will (over)fill it. Suggestions?

You can wear them to the start and then shed them as you warm up while running.  If you're hot natured then most likely you won't be running long with them on.  Eventually you will probably shed them as you will warm up being around all the other warm bodies and I'm assuming the hills/bridges will warm you as well.  If not then I guess you could run with them the entire time- totally up to you.  But they can be somewhat bulky and might be tricky to carry.  Another option is garbage bags- those work well too and are easy to throw down. 

I plan to do something like that- have a dispoable top layer and shed it at the start. And most likely I will wear a long sleeved shirt with a layer (probably a running tank) underneath. If I get too hot running I can take off the long sleeved shirt and tie it around my waist and run with it like that so I'll have it if I were to get cold again along the way. Also I could throw it back on after I finish- and then throw my finisher's pncho on top of that to stay warm.  Kinda just depends how cold it is.  But my guess is smart layering will be the key!  And if you have friends/family to meet up with you afterwards with some extra layers that would help.

2012-08-28 7:33 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Gladiador - 2012-08-28 4:46 AM

No, just for the start. Depending on what transportation you chose, some athletes will be out at the start for 4+ hours and it gets cold just sitting around. I use the sheets as a picnic blanket, which is truly priceless when you see people sitting on a tiny plastic bag, plus I wrap up in them like blankets if it's chilly. The year I did it when it was warm, I used one to sit on and had just one to use as needed to keep warm.

I recommend to carry as little as possible during the race. It's a challenging course and being one of the top races in the world, is very well supported. It's best to "live off the land" if you can. The only thing I carry usually is one gel, because I like to have one after an hour and then I have another at the gel station later in the race. There are aid stations pretty much every mile once you get off the bridge.

2012-08-28 11:50 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY

Oh my, Runners World tweeted a sneak peek of the poncho and it's not pretty! The comments are hilarious too.

2012-08-29 1:20 AM

User image

Veteran

It is hilarious, yes...

My biggest concern is what to do afterwards. I mean, all sweaty... socks wet, t-shirts also, underwear...my God. That's what concerns me the most somehow.

I understand we'll receive some sort of shirt afterwards to wear, but these clothes are new, unwashed. I really don't like the complete idea, and have no clue how to prevent pneumonia/cold afterwards. Poncho? No comment. 

2012-08-29 11:17 AM

Subject: RE: ING New York City Marathon : Official Thread - trainers?

hi I am just starting to run again. I work for dotsportllc and we are looking for running and triathlon trainers who would look to shoot a complimentary 10 minute workout for our site. We want to provide a one-stop shop for runners and endurance athletes to find great information and workouts. So if you are a trainer please contact me so we can shoot your video. It will be shot in high definition and will be of broadcast quality. It will live on our site but you will also be welcome to use it for promotional purposes. www.lifedotsport.com  email me [email protected]

2012-08-30 7:03 AM

User image

Veteran

How about some storage boxes for disposal, like in post offices, with locker key? Is there any kind of similar possibility? Some service?

I am aware there will be several thousand people with same problem, but just asking.

For the record, I travel alone, and don't have relative or companion to follow me from start line to finish line.

Edited by Gladiador 2012-08-30 7:04 AM
2012-09-06 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4387624

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY

Nothing that I know of. One thought - if you're a member of a Y at home, maybe you can go to the one near Central Park the day before and see if you can put some things in a locker overnight to pick up post race. They normally don't allow overnights but maybe an exception? Otherwise I recommend you carry a couple $20s and plan to get a taxi or pedi cab or onto the subway ASAP post-race and get back to your hotel.

Gladiador - 2012-08-30 8:03 AM

How about some storage boxes for disposal, like in post offices, with locker key? Is there any kind of similar possibility? Some service?

I am aware there will be several thousand people with same problem, but just asking.

For the record, I travel alone, and don't have relative or companion to follow me from start line to finish line.

2012-09-06 12:54 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Problem solved!  The policy has been changed and now you'll have 2 options!  See below for the message posted on their FB page:

In response to your feedback, and in close consultation with our City partners, we've revised the baggage policy for this year's ING New York City Marathon. We're now offering a choice: you can go to the start with nothing to check, then get a poncho and a T-shirt after the earliest Central Park exit, or you may check a bag at the start and collect it after you finish. Please be advised that we still anticipate congestion, and we encourage you to strongly consider the No-Baggage option. Be sure to watch your inbox and http://bit.ly/ObzGjL for more details about this new policy. Good luck with your training - we look forward to welcoming you all in November!

2012-09-07 12:16 AM

User image

Veteran
It's a relief... huge one
2012-09-11 8:04 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Did you guys get the email to sign up for baggage/no baggage claim?

I decided not to do baggage claim.  Our condo isn't far from the fnish line so I figure by the time I wait to get my bag, I could already be back at the condo showered and in fresh clothes.  Plus my husband will be spectating so if I need to throw on additional clothes after the race I can just get them from him.  I am pretty confident the hideous poncho will keep me warm for the walk back, so no baggage claim for me 

2012-09-11 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4405143

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
runnergirl - 2012-09-11 9:04 AM

Did you guys get the email to sign up for baggage/no baggage claim?

I decided not to do baggage claim.  Our condo isn't far from the fnish line so I figure by the time I wait to get my bag, I could already be back at the condo showered and in fresh clothes.  Plus my husband will be spectating so if I need to throw on additional clothes after the race I can just get them from him.  I am pretty confident the hideous poncho will keep me warm for the walk back, so no baggage claim for me 

So hideous! I plan to use it as a tarp while cleaning my bike in the future I'm also not claiming, and I have to get all the way back to brooklyn. The ugly poncho will be fine for my subway or taxi ride. I don't feel like waiting an hour on dead legs for my bag either!

2012-09-12 12:18 AM

User image

Veteran

No e-mail, but newsletter mentioned the option will be available on Monday. So, logged in and chosen Baggage. Printed out my bib number and ready to go. I am at wave # 2 starting 10:05 A.M.

Considering poncho, maybe it will be 2013 modelling collection hit, don't throw it away.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ING New York City Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3