General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
United Multisport
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 16s
Overall Rank = 236/706
Age Group = 25-29M
Age Group Rank = 22/52
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30. grabbed a cup of coffee, plain white bagel, clif bar, and packed up the car. Was on the road by 5:00. Got there plenty early, grabbed a decent parking spot. Transition spots were preassigned, so I wasn't in a rush to pick out a good spot. I just like getting there early to stress out... Got transition set up, was out of there by 7am, and talked to friends before my heat started at 8:07.
Event warmup:

Road the bike for about 10 minutes, to make sure shifting was going to be happening. Dropped my chain once ( more on that later). Didn't get into the water before my heat, mainly because I thought it would be pointless to warm up 45 minutes before I started.
Swim
  • 29m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim sucked, plain and simple. I ended up doing about as well as I wanted as far as timing goes, but I was really pushing the last 800m. There entire time I had someone right on my ass, constantly pulling my legs under from the surface. I felt like I was all alone, and didn't get to draft much.

Swim navigation was a huge issue. After the 'out' to the farthest buoy, we turned north and head 'across' the course, before heading back to shore (west). One of the middle buoys must have drifted closer to shore, and everyone headed there. When we got there (not before!!!), a lifeguard was yelling to head to a random buoy further East (away from shore). My guess is the miscommunication by race officials to explain the course caused us to swim an extra 100-200m. I understand the importance of knowing the course, but the RD needs to let athletes know if something is out of line.

What would you do differently?:

Sight, work on navigation? I still need to figure out a way to keep my goggles from fogging! I've tried just about everything, and nothing seems to work!
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

No complaints here. Wanted faster than 3:00. Could have been faster if my wetsuit would come off my bony ankles faster, but I'm okay with the time.

Find someone to strip my wetsuit off!
Bike
  • 1h 17m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

The first loop of the ride went really well. I was watching my HR pretty closely, trying to stay in z3 for most of it, and felt like the course wasn't very crowded. The first loop ave was 20.2mph.

The 2nd go around was a bit different. The sprint athletes were just starting out, and I had a tough time getting around everyone. I saw quite a bit of drafting along some of the flat sections. Towards the end of the ride, I started slowing down to save some for the run.

Overall, despite dropping my chain every time I shifted back into my big ring (3 f! times), I thought the bike went about was well as I could have wanted.

I need a new bike.... Train more?
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Nothing to complain about. I wanted closer to 1', but with the large transition area, I don't see how that could have happened.
Run
  • 47m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went great. Took about a mile to loosen up my legs, but I felt like my pace wasn't crazy, but maintainable. Negative split the loops by 22 seconds. Thanks to the Missouri Tri guy for laughing at my KU kit. Gave me some motivation to outkick him in the end!

Training has been lacking this spring with injuries. But I still am good with the time. I may have saved a bit more in the tank than I should had, as I had a solid kick the last mile. But I'm training for 70.3, not olys.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, saw Jon in the med tent.... grabbed some food, a beer, and my results. Then headed back to the car and grabbed some food. I'm not one for post race stuff...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not focusing on my speed in training, but increasing my endurance. I also have been dealing with IT band issues since January, which has hindered my run training. Overall, I'm pleased with the result, and look forward to getting faster this summer.

Event comments:

Overall, I thought this was a good race and I'm glad that this was my first olympic distance race (especially with a London Olympian racing!). What I'm most disappointed in was the lack of communication from race organizers. There was little to no info at packet pickups, nothing in the packets, all the athlete briefings were cancelled AT THE BRIEFINGS, and poor race day information about the swim course (unless I missed it). I would expect more from a WTC-branded race (5150), but I will be back in the future. It's the biggest race in KC, and I still had a great time.

Last updated: 2011-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/52
Overall: 0/706
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU T2 Full sleeve
Course: Triangular out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:30 | 24.85 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/52
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops around the lake
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/52
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops, both road and gravel path
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-20 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2012-05-21 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4219176

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Congrats on your race. See ya in Lawrence.
2012-05-21 8:51 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yeah that far orange turn bouey had come un-anchored! I think you were right around me, I saw lifeguards directing everyone back to the orange one. I had stopped to ask which one to swim to since I couldn't figure out why everyone was going to the green one. Strange.

Good times out there! Congrats!

2012-05-21 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

You didn't miss any race info. There was none given. 

It is reassuring to find out the outer buoys had moved. I thought my straight line swimming had gone to pot. 

This could be a really great race but they way oversold it, and starting the slowest AG's first made for a crowded bike.  

They did have plenty of food post-race, if you hunted around for it. 

2012-05-21 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
haha, yeah Lisa, she was yelling 'ORANGE!!!' and I thought she was talking about my swim cap for some reason... Oh well....
2012-05-21 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4221885

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
Great race! I've committed myself to trying to catch some of you guys now! Try plain formula 409 on your goggles. I tried it on a helmet visor and worked pretty decent just rinse them out. I always just spit on mine though and rinse them off.

2012-05-21 9:34 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Nice race!  I spotted your somewhat visible KU kit on the bike course but don't think you heard me yell out.
2012-05-24 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Your bike split wasn't very far off mine! Nive race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed