General Discussion Triathlon Talk » body weight & bike performance correlation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-06-15 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4263052

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: body weight & bike performance correlation

gsmacleod - 2012-06-15 9:28 AM
FELTGood - 2012-06-15 7:49 AM So if it is really true that a heavier rider goes faster on the downhills, something else must attribute for it than weight alone.
It is true that a heavier rider goes faster downhill and it is due to weight (plus the inclusion of resistive forces that are excluded in general physics classes as they make things messy). There are three main resistive forces when cycling and they can be calculated as: Force due to rolling resistance = mass * gravity * Crr Force due to air drag = 1/2 * rho * CdA * v^2 Force due to gravitational potential change = mass * gravity * sin (angle) The first two always opposed motion while the third can act with or against the direction of motion. While climbing, the angle is positive and the rider needs to apply a force in order to move upwards while when descending, the angle is negative and the stored gravitational potential energy from climbing the hill will be used to accelerate the athlete back down the hill. As mentioned, the weight penalty for climbing is not gained back in descending and it is therefore a good idea to be as light as possible while still maintaining the highest W:kg; this will make you faster up a hill, likely reduce CdA and while a little slower downhill, the difference will be made up by the gains going up. However, there appears to be some confusion in the thread; when I state something like "weight is meaningless in a tri/TT" what I mean (and what I was responding to) was weight loss off the bike itself. With tri/TT bikes, the build tends to be heavier and athletes get hung up on the fact that my roadie is 15lbs and my tribike is 21lbs; I need to make it lighter. What they need to consider is that the added weight is there to build more aerodynamic shapes which leads to a reduction in CdA; small changes in CdA, due to the v^2 term, are much more significant than minor weight savings in terms of tri/TT speed. Shane

Math is wonderful. Here's what going downhill means for someone 5'10 @200 watts on a triathlon bike (CdA is calculated for you, I used all other defaults):

150lbs, 0% incline = 22.3 mph

170lbs,  0% incline = 21.9 mph

150lbs, 1% decline= 25.6 mph

170lbs, 1% decline = 25.4 mph

150lbs, 2% decline = 28.7 mph

170lbs, 2% decline = 28.9 mph

150lbs, 4% decline = 34.8 mph

170lbs, 4% decline = 35.3 mph

So the speed advantage for the heavier rider is only apparent on anything >1% decline. But here is the real take-home, as Shane points out. On a 2% grade hill (assuming incline and decline are the same) the lighter rider only needs to expend 5 more watts to match the heavier rider on the downhill, but it takes 16 more watts for the heavier rider to go uphill. At 4% the lighter rider needs to expend 25 more watts to match the heavier rider on the downhill, but it takes 40 more watts for the heavier rider to go uphill. Either way the lighter rider expends less total wattage.

Light is right!

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2012-06-15 8:50 AM

2012-06-15 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4261592

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

A short article by one of Lance's docs (although I'll probably be called into the USADA case as a witness just for reading this):

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=98

2012-06-15 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4263092

User image

So the speed advantage for the heavier rider is only apparent on anything >1% decline. But here is the real take-home, as Shane points out. On a 2% grade hill (assuming incline and decline are the same) the lighter rider only needs to expend 5 more watts to match the heavier rider on the downhill, but it takes 16 more watts for the heavier rider to go uphill. At 4% the lighter rider needs to expend 25 more watts to match the heavier rider on the downhill, but it takes 40 more watts for the heavier rider to go uphill. Either way the lighter rider expends less total wattage.

Light is right! 

Yep, at higher speeds wind resistance becomes the bigger issue, which is why the heavier rider can't get the same gain from going downhill as opposed to uphill.

On a related note, it's best to take drinks/nutrition and sit up during uphills where it isn't as much a penalty... i know it's hard sometimes to do that on steeper uphills, but this is the best place to do it since the aero penalties are not as great at lower speeds.

2012-06-15 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4261964

User image

Master
JohnnyKay - 2012-06-14 2:17 PM

MUL98 - 2012-06-14 2:52 PM

I get this, and was working on the assumption that the lighter me makes climbing speed gains while still exerting less effort than heavier me. (Again based strictly on personal experience.)

That's likely a valid observation aboput your personal experience, although it has more to do with your fitness in each state than your weight.   Obviously, there may be some correlation to your being fitter at the same time you weigh less.  Weight loss will likely lead to gains for a triathlete, but mostly on the run, nominally on the bike and negligibly in the water.  Weight loss in conjunction with fitness gains, would be the combo most hope to achieve.

This thread, and this post in particular got me thinking about something. Is weight something seperate from fitness, or an aspect of it?

I have always thought of fitness as the ability to excersise longer and harder. In my admittedly layman thoughts it's always included things like having strong muscles, a strong heart, strong lungs, an ability to process oxygen and flush lactic acid etc... Now I'm wondering is weight something seperate from that, or does the loss of weight actually contribute to increases in muscle, resting heart rate etc...

Thoughts from those with a better understanding?
2012-06-15 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Madison

I really feel that the biggest factor overall as it seems some people have stated is where you're losing the weight from. If you're not eating properly (recovering completely) from training and breaking down your muscles, you're going to be losing your muscle mass on top of any other excess weight you have. I've struggled with this myself, and it's really come down to eating properly if I want to make the gains, and lose the weight. I was around 210 when I started racing a couple years ago. I was more into lifting weights and running. 

I look at it this way, if you're fast you're fast. You have to put out the watts no matter what. Whether that be climbing or sprinting. But on top of that, you need to be aero (especially in a fast course). But even as you mention hilly courses like IMWI, you still need to be concerned with aero. Coming downhill, if you're cranking the uphills and crushing out some watts, and you're not aero, you will completely negate all the efforts of the uphill portion. I just saw this at the last race I did. Guys were killing the uphills, then when it came to the downs, they weren't worried about getting aero. While there's me in full tuck nearly hitting 50mph, smashing past them. 

I dunno, this is how I view it.

2012-06-15 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4263298

User image

Sensei
Sin City

With all the years I have been riding and racing at my weight, I have found the following, and would be hard pressed to be convinced otherwise.

1.  Weight is more important on the climbs.  I was 20% faster on a flat IM course (at basicallly the same fitness) than a hilly course.  I didn't do the math, but I don't think then entire field was 20% faster (the field WAS faster, just not 20%).  My weight affected me (and other heavier riders LESS on the flat course).  Even while I'm racing, I can hold even or make up ground on smaller guys on the flats, but they kill me on the climbs.

2.  I'm faster downhill due to weight.  I have been told it's hard to keep up with me even when I'm freewheeling and they are biking hard.  BUT, I don't think the advantage descending is equal to that going up.  I can't make up the gap I lose on the ascent on the descent.

When I'm looking to lose 20-30 lbs just to be a thin but reasonable weight, that could be a couple MPH over a rolling course, easy.  That could be an hour off my time in an IM.

2012-06-15 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4263298

User image

Pro
MUL98 - 2012-06-15 11:19 AM

I get this, and was working on the assumption that the lighter me makes climbing speed gains while still exerting less effort than heavier me. (Again based strictly on personal experience.)

That's likely a valid observation aboput your personal experience, although it has more to do with your fitness in each state than your weight.   Obviously, there may be some correlation to your being fitter at the same time you weigh less.  Weight loss will likely lead to gains for a triathlete, but mostly on the run, nominally on the bike and negligibly in the water.  Weight loss in conjunction with fitness gains, would be the combo most hope to achieve.

This thread, and this post in particular got me thinking about something. Is weight something seperate from fitness, or an aspect of it? I have always thought of fitness as the ability to excersise longer and harder. In my admittedly layman thoughts it's always included things like having strong muscles, a strong heart, strong lungs, an ability to process oxygen and flush lactic acid etc... Now I'm wondering is weight something seperate from that, or does the loss of weight actually contribute to increases in muscle, resting heart rate etc... Thoughts from those with a better understanding?

I think you can be at a high level of cardiovascular fitness and carry extra weight. One of the guys in my tri club is an absolute beast, done Ironman for at least 12 years, and yet in his trisuit looks like he's in his third trimester. He made podium at the his last half this spring, and I have yet to podium, so there ya go

2012-06-15 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

lots of talk about differences in absolute weight of triathlete's on the bike but the reality is that when you lose 10 pounds, you become a faster cyclist and runner because you've improved your v02max-which is one of the measures of exercise performance (really maximally extract oxygen but we're not going to go into that here)-usually described in ml of 02/kg of body weight/minute

therefore your race pace improves-on the bike and on the run; on the hills and in the flats

so all athlete's should try to find their optimal weight for optimal performance and for many of us lighter is better-depending on where the starting point is

(of course, I've seen some athlete's who are quite muscular and fit yet when they lost weight, they lost a lot of muscle along with fat so they did not gain as much as they thought they would in terms of speed/pace, but we are all 'experiments of one')

2012-06-15 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4263454

User image

Master
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-06-15 11:17 AM

This thread, and this post in particular got me thinking about something. Is weight something seperate from fitness, or an aspect of it? I have always thought of fitness as the ability to excersise longer and harder. In my admittedly layman thoughts it's always included things like having strong muscles, a strong heart, strong lungs, an ability to process oxygen and flush lactic acid etc... Now I'm wondering is weight something seperate from that, or does the loss of weight actually contribute to increases in muscle, resting heart rate etc... Thoughts from those with a better understanding?

I think you can be at a high level of cardiovascular fitness and carry extra weight. One of the guys in my tri club is an absolute beast, done Ironman for at least 12 years, and yet in his trisuit looks like he's in his third trimester. He made podium at the his last half this spring, and I have yet to podium, so there ya go

That's not really my question. There are undoubtedly people faster than me who are heavier than me. More, does that guys fitness automatically go up if he loses weight, or is the weight loss something separate from fitness?
2012-06-15 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4263498

User image

Pro
MUL98 - 2012-06-15 12:40 PM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-06-15 11:17 AM

That's not really my question. There are undoubtedly people faster than me who are heavier than me. More, does that guys fitness automatically go up if he loses weight, or is the weight loss something separate from fitness?

If you starve yourself to lose the weight and don't work out,do you think you'll get more fit? I think you'd get less fit, as you would be losing muscle as well as fat. Now if you're already working out and lose weight, yest, I think you'd be more fit, as defined by a muscle-to-fat ratio. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » body weight & bike performance correlation Rss Feed  

of 3