Mobile Bay Watch
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 57s
Overall Rank = 106/354
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/29
Pre-race routine:

Race is semi local, about an hour from the house. This is the 3rd year of the race and we had done the previous two. We drove over to friends house that live near the course Friday afternoon and did the packet pick up thing. Good homemade pasta dinner and early to bed. Up at 4AM because we knew parking would be at a premium and we were at the race site by 5:40. I had decided to race with the power tap again and had it on the bike. When I set up my transition I tested my speedometer and it wasn't working. Couldn't get anything to read except HR. I called a buddy over and neither of us could figure it out. I had my rear HED 3 in the car but decided not to change it this close to race time. This meant I was racing with no stats. The same thing happened here last year with my old bike computer. I stayed calm about it and went down to the water about 10 minutes b4 start.
Event warmup:

just a light jog and very short swim.
Swim
  • 08m 19s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

2 years ago in this race the water was really low and most people walked more than they swam. It made me mad because my time was really slow comparitivly. Last year the water was high but I made a prerace decision that if others around me were walking I would join in that game.

I ran out till the water was over my belly button and started swimming. I was in a tight pack and had a nice draft. After about 200 yards, I could see myself getting passed by walkers. I gave in and joined in that madness. I would swim some then walk some and in some spots the water was so shallow you couldn't swim. This gave me a great time and I followed 2 of my buddies out of the water (at swim practice, they outswim me by 20 seconds per hundred, but they don't outwalk me very much).
What would you do differently?:

Not sure, not particularily pleased with walking/water jogging but it was what 90% of the others were doing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

long run from the water, but it was a solid transition. Rank 47 of 354 overall
Bike
  • 27m 34s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 22.85 mile/hr
Comments:

My race plan was to try to average 250 watts and improve by a minute over last years pace. Since I didn't have any stats I don't know anything about power or cadence. I was 33rd overall last year on the bike and I really wanted to crack the top 20 this year.

I came out of the water pretty strong and started pushing from the very beginning. The steep hill was a struggle but after I cleared that I was a machine. The night before I put 2 pieces of yellow tape at the end of my aerobars. I told myself, when you notice the tape your not pushing hard enough. I don't know how I came up with that but it really worked. I powered by so many other racers. I think the course was a little short, but it was the same as in previous years so I will take it. I beat last years time by almost 2 minutes and was 20th overall!! Hooray
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Had problems getting running shoes on. I don't know why, need to diagnose. 161 oout of 354. Really bad for me?
Run
  • 30m 44s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt fine the entire run. Carried my water with me and tossed a cup or two on my head during the run. I was 3 minutes slower than last year. I think the course was .2 longer than before but no excuses, my run speed is down from last year.
Post race
Warm down:

got stuff then went to finish line to watch the rest of the group came in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

slow run

Event comments:

First - Most of our closest friends are at this race and that always makes it more fun. The women in our group all got trophies and the overall female winner is a good friend too.

Organization - They brought in Eventtech to manage timing for the race. They did a terrific job. Historically, this event and its predecessor were marred by issues with timing and transitions. The team that put this together did a great job.

Officials - They did a great job of monotoring the drafters. A fair # of penalties and visible motorcycles on the course. Again an improvement over prior year.

Volunteers - plenty of friendly and helpful volunteers.

Post race party - Good dee jay and lots of door prizes. We won a strapless HR monitor.

Last updated: 2006-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:19 | 600 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/29
Overall: 36/354
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot shorts, Pearl Top
Course: Out and back on well marked course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:34 | 10.5 miles | 22.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/29
Overall: 20/354
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Short but challenging course. Its starts with a half mile loop around the duck pond. This part is a little dangerouse, very narrow and bumpy road. You go over a big speed bump and then have to climb a short but extremely steep hill. Then you climb a long but less steep climb for about a mile. Next is a right turn onto the rolling section. This part is about 3 miles and has nice gradual climbs and really fast descents. You then turn onto hiway 32 which as flat and freshly paved. The last 3 miles was back along the water into a pretty good headwind. Finish with a very tough off camber turn down the steep hill you start on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:44 | 03 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/29
Overall: 245/354
Performance: Average
none
Course: This course was changed from the previous 2 years because of damage to water front in hurricane katrina. The course started up the steep hill on the bike course. The course went out a mile with some big climbs and desents along the way. Back to start for 2nd mile and then a loop to make it 3. I believe the run was long by .2. Although longer, it was a nice course and I liked the change.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: The Grandman Triathlon

2006-06-04 4:38 PM
in reply to: #442574

User image

Subject: RE: The Grandman Triathlon

Smokin bike and swim times!!!!!!!

Congrats on the race and having the attitude you did about the computer.

2006-06-04 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

As usual, you put up some incredible times. 22mph avg? I could only dream of it. Great job Ken!

2006-06-04 5:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs

ha! I have no concept of going that fast on a bike in a race..... maybe next year!

Grats on doing so well..... Was the water-jog wet suit legal?

2006-06-04 5:11 PM
in reply to: #442622

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Great race Ken, wish I could have joined in on the fun!!!

Edited by H13 2006-06-04 5:11 PM
2006-06-04 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodbridge, VA

Nice race, how is the anlke holding up??? You are jamming on the bike. keep it up and you will rock IMFL.

2006-06-04 8:39 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

haha! a water duathlon eh? I'm taking no mention of the ankle is a good thing. Your bike speed is sick. It's funny how when we "lose" our number crunchers, for that first split second we aren't sure what to do. and man, marcy seriously rocks! I love that she is out there kicking butt!

2006-06-05 7:10 AM

Champion

No apologies needed for your run.  You take your strengths and do the best you can with them.  Awesome job overall and congrats on such a fast bike and swim.  I just wish I was that fast in the water...you're like a barracuda!

2006-06-05 8:45 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
zooom! you are so fast! you swim and bike are awesome, and your run keeps getting faster and faster! great work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Grandman Triathlon Rss Feed