World Triathlon Corporation
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 948/1700
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 92/137
Pre-race routine:

Nothing really special, woke up at 4am to have my breakfast, by 5am, I was being body marked and I setup my transition.
I helped a guy who got a flat (good karma) and head down to the swim start, feeling relaxed and ready.
Re-read my race plan from my coach and waited to see the Snowbirds :)
Event warmup:

Not a big warmup, just went into the water to get wet, did a few strokes back and forth and waited for my wave to start.
Swim
  • 40m 43s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very good swim for me. I'm more a back of the pack but noticed lately some improvements in my swim. Started at the end of the pack a little bit on the left, like my coach suggested.
After a couple of minutes, I was still fighting a bit with other racers but nothing crazy, just like more "I'm there, watch out, don't come too close".
I drafted a little bit and then things became clear after 4/500 meters.
Nice sighting, water was warm, perfect spacing of the bouys, first turn then second one and the swim exit was there.
The end of the swim was a little bit shallow and I hit a rock with my middle toe... It hurts! a lot!
I kept going, re-started swimming until the very end.
I was targeting something around 40/45min but more in the 45ish range... I was very surprised to see the clock announcing 40min! I was stoked and very happy.
Went off the water, find a good peeler, and I was jogging to my bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not hit a rock at the end of the swim. It hurts and still hurts... Other than that, nothing different, I'm very happy with my swim :)
Transition 1
  • 04m 57s
Comments:

Long transition to the bike all carpeted so it was a very nice flat run. A lot of people cheering from both sides, it was very good to feel this atmosphere all around.
Arrived at the bike, dropped the suit, helmet on, bib on, and off I go on the bike. Nothing special there except for my toe...still hurting!!!

Nothing, great transition, long but comfy :)
Bike
  • 3h 04m 39s
  • 90.12 kms
  • 29.28 km/hr
Comments:

Very frustrating start for me. I had a plan and I followed it, but that meant I needed to be conservative for the first 20 min... Everybody was passing me... EVERYBODY !!! All I wanted was to chase them but I knew it was not part of the plan... Follow and trust your coach... So I stick to my wattage numbers... 20 minutes later, I start to unleashed a bit of the power and it felt great. I rode the course the week end before (2 loops) so I knew exactly what to expect, the hills, the descent, the PERFECT road condition, it helped a lot!!!
I started to get on people, but was still managing my effort. I was very surprised to see my first split as 30kph. I was more targeting something between 25-28kph. But the numbers were exactly inline with my race plan so I didn't question anything.
My second split was the same, another 30kph average, and still very surprised by my day performance so far for the day. I knew the last section would be difficult due to the steep hills, but I was ready for them.
The last section was there, steep hills, but as a coincidence, a lot of people who flew by me at the beginning were there, and that time, I flew by them (still being in my numbers!!!), it felt great to see this. I'm sorry for these people but that's the race game ;)
Up to the turn around and once again, I followed my coach plan: Do not touch the brake on the downhill to the transition!!! So I put myself into the bars and let it go. It was great!!! good feeling, good sensation and good speed.
Overall, a very good ride and I felt fresh enough to run a half marathon after. The icing on the cake, I was targeting something between 3:15/3:30 and I got a 3:04! That was a blast :)
I noticed that I was able to ride with my toe's problem but if I was pushing too much in front of my foot, it was very painful... so I stayed without pushing in front of my foot and it was OK :)

NOTHING !!!!!
I loved it, every inches of it :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Good transition, good dismount, wanted to do a flying dismount but didn't want to take any risk with my toe so I choose the safest way and ran with my cycling shoes.

Nothing, good transition
Run
  • 1h 56m 59s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 05m 33s  min/km
Comments:

The run was hot but I tried to stay cool all along the run. Every sprinkler, I ran below. It felt great :)
I ran like my coach told me to do so, smart on the hills, shorten strides, helping with the arms and I was feeling very good.
I started to pass people, a lot of people, and I started to chase people from my AG :) One down, 2 down, 3 down, 4, 5, 6, and I lost the count.
I was having a very very good run. My toe was hurting my the pain was manageable. And it kept me away wanting to do a bathroom break. I walked on aid stations but every time I walked, the pain was rising so I kept running.
I was feeling great, strong and the last couple of hills were difficult but knowing the end was near helped big time.
A lot of cheering, a lot of volunteers, this course is a blast!!!
And when you see the last hill, you turn right into the village and the crowd is here, waiting for you, it is an amazing feeling.
I was doing a lot of maths in my head during the last 5 km to see if I could break the 6 hours mark, then the 5:55... I finally managed to see that I was even able to break the 5:50, so I gave everything in the last stretch into the village, high fiving people, smiling, having fun! and I did it: 5:49:02 as the official finishing time.

Nothing, I had an awesome run!
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really, remove my shoes to see that my toe was all swollen and blue-ish/purple... looking like a broken toe for me... (having broken a LOT of bones, I know this feeling unfortunately...), so grab some foods, recover and went to the medical tent to grab some ice to put there. Nothing much I can do for now...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know as I am VERY happy with my time. In my dreams, I was thinking something between 5:55 and 6:30... 5:49 ??? I'll take it and don't want to think about how could I have been faster that day... Who cares !!!??? ;)

Event comments:

Best. Race. Period.

Great venue, wonderful roads, awesome cheering and volunteers, fantastic organisation, I can't think of something bad about this race.
From the start to the finish, it was just freakin' unbelievable!!!

Just one thing, if they can remove rocks the next time from the bottom of the lake, that might be the only downside I can think of...

The big canon for the start, the snowbirds, the bike course, the organisation, everything was just perfect!!!

Now, time to rest and ice my toe... IM Lake Placid is in 4 weeks and I need to heal and rest... ;)

Last updated: 2011-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:43 | 1900 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 119/137
Overall: 1237/1700
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:04:39 | 90.12 kms | 29.28 km/hr
Age Group: 118/137
Overall: 1213/1700
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:56:59 | 21.08 kms | 05m 33s  min/km
Age Group: 71/137
Overall: 683/1700
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-26 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant

2012-06-27 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4281904

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant
Awesome job! I agree on the rocks at the swim-out. I literally swam in until my chest was hitting - my hands definitely hit some of the rocks, and you couldn't see a thing at that point. That's super that you were able to smash your race goals!
2012-06-27 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Congrats on racing smart and beating your own expectations!!!

That's too bad about your toe - i hope it heals up quickly. 

2012-06-27 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Way to go!  You did great!!
2012-06-28 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia