General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Appling, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

I'm not sure what I was expecting from my first sprint triathlon after having done St. Anthony's at the end of April, but it was okay. I didn't love it like St. A's b/c it wasn't as exciting and as big. Nothing could beat the feeling you have at your very first race. I didn't have a set goal for myself because I couldn't really compare this course to anything else. I kinda approached this race as a race to keep me going until my next Oly triathlon in July. Now I know I have much training to be done!

I went to bed on Friday around 9:30 and woke up at 4:00 after a restless night of sleep. I kept waking up a couple of times during the night b/c my neighbor's rude party guests were talking outside my window all night long. I should've just yelled at them!

Trish and her BF picked me up around 4:30 and we were on our way to Augusta. We were lucky to have him drive us so that we could get some rest during our 2-hr drive. We got to the race site around 6:45 and got to the transition area shortly after. Since we got there a little later than expected, I felt rushed to get all my equipment out and ready. I also had some air pump problem. Next time, I'm brining my own! Good thing I knew exactly what I needed to set up. Practice makes it perfect, as they say.
Event warmup:

Went to the restroom right before the race. Saw some of my past teammates from TNT and met Runnergril29, Swankguy and another Bt'er (oops...forgot his name!)as I was waiting around for the race to start. It was so nice to see some familiar faces/newly-matched faces when you are feeling nervous! I went in for a quick dip in the murky lake before the race. The lake bottom was gross-who knows what was down there.
Swim
  • 17m 20s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

I positioned myself towards the back of my wave again. I still don't feel comfortable doing an OWS, so I wanted to avoid the chaos at the start of the swim. Once I got started, my goal was to focus on breathing. I think I was averaging a breathe after every 2 or 3 strokes the entire time. That's better than St. A's. I didn't really push myself to go fast on this swim but kept it at a familiar pace.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I want to position myself closer to the start line. If I can be with people who are faster, maybe I'll push myself more to swim better.
Took a gel 15 min. before the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I was determined to beat my granny transition time of 4 min + at St. A's. It was faster this time but I could've shaved off more time here.
Had 3 Clif Bloks before heading out.

Maybe do w/out the socks and gloves? It takes some effort to put them on.
Bike
  • 40m 6s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 17.36 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was comparable to Cartersville. There were some hills along the way, but nothing too major. Some parts of the course were quite scenic and nice. I think I was averaging anywhere from 15-22 mph on flat surfaces. At one point, 2 cars somehow managed to get on the course and blocked us from passing them. There were some angry outbursts by some participants for sure. Other than this one really tight turn that we had to make, the course was good. I finished one bottle of Gu drink on the bike but didn't even touch the other.

Maybe stay in aero pisition a bit more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Changed out my shoes, put on my visor, popped 2 blocks and off I went!

Not much.
Run
  • 29m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

The transition from the bike to the run was solid. I even got the comment, "Looking strong!" from one of the volunteers. Little did I know that there was going to be a gigantic, monstrous hill coming up. Man, I think I saw at least 3 or 4 ppl walking up the hill, but I was determined to run that thing. In my mind, I was running but it probably didn't look like I was. Good thing there was only one. The rest of the trail running was quite slippery and I feared that I might slip and land on my buns. Once I was back on pavement, I started to feel a cramp developing on my right side. It grew worse as the run progressed and stretched all the way to the left side by the end of the run. I kept trying to massage it out and taking erratic breaths to make it go away but it never went away. It was bothering me, but I tried my best to keep my pace going. I knew that I was running a pace somewhere in the mid 9 and wanted to go faster but it was difficult with the pain. At one point, Swankguy passed me and offered me some encouraging words. Thanks!

DO NOT EAT A DRY, DENSE, PB sandwich right before the race. Since I fell asleep in the car on the way to the race, I didn't get to eat my sandwich until I got there about 45 min. before the start. That was a bad move. The sandwich felt like a brick in my stomach. I should have just taken a couple of gels instead. Lesson learned.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up w/ some BT'rs and friends and chatted about the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cramping and bad eating plan b4 the race.

Event comments:

Overall, it was a good race but I don't think it would make it as one of my 'favorites' counting all the future races.

Last updated: 2006-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:20 | 600 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:06 | 11.6 miles | 17.36 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:22 | 03.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Very hilly start on the trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park

2006-06-05 9:20 PM
in reply to: #443954

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park
Congrats on a great race, and on the improvements you made. It was nice to meet you there. Good luck and have fun at you next tri.
2006-06-05 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Its interesting reading your race report.  I think sprints are actually more painful races cause you're going full speed the entire time.  On the longer distances, you can pace yourself, no so with a sprint.

But, they're fun and great tests of your conditioning.  Sounds like you had a great race except for the cramping on the run.  Congrats and I'll look forward to meeting you in Chattanooga.

2006-06-06 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

I did my first tri on that course last year and you beat my time by close to 30 minutes - so great job! Good job on your transitions! I would agree with losing your socks and gloves for the bike - I've decided they aren't really needed for a sprint or a oly. The hill at the start of the run is killer and slippery, I remember that for sure.

Sounds like you had a solid race overall - great job!

2006-06-06 9:56 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
You did great!  I hated that run course!  Especially the hill- I had to walk that hill last year because it was so muddy and slippery!  Way to go!  It was good seeing you there.  And I agree- last year I did that race after St. Anthony's, and it wasn't as fun as doing St. A's with TNT!  Hope to see you at some more races this summer!
2006-06-06 10:16 AM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA

Great job!  Enjoyed meeting you.  It was great hanging out with the other BT'ers right after the race.

That hill ("the hill" was killer... i ran up it but looking back i think i could have fast walked it better.  It was like i was running in one place and worse than running stairs because it was wet and slippery, too.  I remember getting to the top and the volunteer shouting "Come on, up the hill, shake it off, its nothing" and I thought to myself "she obviously never ran up this thing!"  IMO, the worst part was that downhill right before "the hill" because of the railroad ties on the trail - downhill, dodging those, while the ground is wet - not a good combo.

I'm going to try going without socks next race as well.

2006-06-06 10:17 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-06-06 2:51 PM
in reply to: #444746

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Great report! I think it is safe to say that NO ONE liked "the hill". Looks like you made it up in good time, though.

As for the cramp, I wish that I could help you explain it. I had the same problem on one of my long runs a few weeks ago, and it really discouraged me. At least you can look ahead to definitely doing better cramp-free in the future!

Great time overall, and great race!
2006-06-07 10:03 AM

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Kyung!  Great race ... and not bad splits given that this is a tune-up race for Chattanooga.

Sorry that I missed this one, but heard that there were a bunch of TNT'ers from our St. A's + GC team.  If you did it with Trish, then it has to fun ...

2006-06-07 12:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Great job! Awesome report, too. Congrats!
2006-06-08 10:28 AM

Master
Athens, Ga.
GREAT JOB, Hyung! Way to stick it out, especially with the cramp. I've learned my lesson on the whole food thing many times over .

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Mistletoe State Park Rss Feed